XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

20 hours ago, bouke79 said:

i'm stuck on (5) 

5 - Now launch OSFMount. Select Mount New, then select the image file (i.e. synoboot.img) to open. Now select partition 0 (the one that is 30 MB). Click Ok. Then at the bottom of the window make sure to un-tick the "Read only drive". Click Ok. The EFI partition of the image file should now be mounted in file explorer.

At this point you can navigate to the /image/DS3615xs directory and replace the extra.lzma ramdisk with the one provided above.

were i'm having troubles finding /image/ds3615xs

edit : found i didnt need that, so went on changing grub.conf, now installing new version on new test disk.

my last dsm was 6.1, how do i clean old dsm software, but leaving intact my stored files and documents  ?

if your system boots ok and is found on the LAN, then you choose the migrate option, retain settings. That will 'overwrite' the 6.1 install

On 1/5/2019 at 7:01 PM, hotshots said:

@milosv you can find here in the forum a tutorial on how to downgrade (with migration process).

You can also just add a cheap Intel nic to your built and it should work also with your current installed loader.

unfortunately I only have mini-pcie express slot free on mobo and cards are difficult to acquire quickly.

It seems my RTL8111GR LAN NIC drivers are not suppoirted in 6xx versions so I am unsure how to proceed next. Can I pay someone a beer or two in donation to load my NIC drivers into 6xx version?

2 hours ago, milosv said:

unfortunately I only have mini-pcie express slot free on mobo and cards are difficult to acquire quickly.

It seems my RTL8111GR LAN NIC drivers are not suppoirted in 6xx versions so I am unsure how to proceed next. Can I pay someone a beer or two in donation to load my NIC drivers into 6xx version?

I tried again with re-downloaded 6.2 files on a clean spare HDD and it worked. I then inserted actual HDD in NAS and removed spare one - repaired the partitions and all data is saved and I'm up and running 6.2 :)

thank you all, I couldn't have done it without this wonderful community 

I have tried using the following loader synoboot_3617 but when the system boot its goes to the main menu as usual but it never boot the discs to load the os. When I insert the ofitinal 1.02b is boot straight up. Any ideas on what the issue is. Could drivers for this card no longer be on this version?

I am using an IBM SAS controller card with custom firmware which does a direct pass through of the discs.

4 hours ago, forcefullpower said:

I have tried using the following loader synoboot_3617 but when the system boot its goes to the main menu as usual but it never boot the discs to load the os. When I insert the ofitinal 1.02b is boot straight up. Any ideas on what the issue is. Could drivers for this card no longer be on this version?

I am using an IBM SAS controller card with custom firmware which does a direct pass through of the discs.

The ds918+ does not support SAS. Plus, the 1.04b loader only loads ds918+ as is well documented in this thread. 

high availability doesn't work on any of the ds918 loaders 1.03 or 1.04 with 6.2.1 or 6.2 does anyone know why ? while it sets it up ok then it cant find passive server at least on vmware

only with 5.2.5592.2  high avail. with corresponding boot loader works

cheers

Edited by asiawatcher

On 1/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, Masrawy said:

I would like to know which is better and more stable between 1.03b DS3617xs and 1.04b DS918?

In my experience using them both via Esxi they are both very stable. While I would prefer the ds3617xs because it can provide SMART info for SAS/scsi drives through 6.2 update 2, it breaks with update 3. If you are using SATA controller and drives then no problem. 1.04b/Ds918 cannot fully support sas/scsi because the necessary kernel support and drivers are not included however if you have braswell or later processor and only use Sata or don’t care about SMART support on scsi/sas then 1.04b/Ds918 works well, supports transcoding and has the benefits of a later kernel. 

16 minutes ago, asiawatcher said:

high availability doesn't work on any of the ds918 loaders 1.03 or 1.04 with 6.2.1 or 6.2 does anyone know why ? while it sets it up ok then it cant find passive server at least on vmware

only with 5.2.5592.2  high avail. with corresponding boot loader works

cheers

As I recall Synology removed support for HA on the ds918+ With 6.2

1 hour ago, wingspinner said:

The ds918+ does not support SAS. Plus, the 1.04b loader only loads ds918+ as is well documented in this thread. 

I am not using the 1.04b I am using the following which is supposed to work for 6.2. I got this from under links to loaders. I try doing searches in the topic but can't seem to get catch anything that I query. 

Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3617xs

Synoboot_3617.zip 

1 minute ago, forcefullpower said:

I am not using the 1.04b I am using the following which is supposed to work for 6.2. I got this from under links to loaders. I try doing searches in the topic but can't seem to get catch anything that I query. 

Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3617xs

Synoboot_3617.zip 

But which update? I’ve found that it works with  6.2.1 but breaks after updating to 6.2.2 because Synology doesn’t include mpt2sas in 6.2.2 and has also turned on module signing causing non Synology generated modules to be rejected. 

2 hours ago, wingspinner said:

Ok, well, your post indicated you had already upgraded and it wasn’t working hence the wild goose chase....🙄

I only upgraded the loader but I understand I probably should have given more detail that it was only the loader I did. Is there anyway of me doing any tests to help verify why this specific loader doesn't work. As the 1.02 does on the same DSM version. As the loader page suggests it should work with both 6.1 and 6.2 for 1.03b. I would like to help with any debugs if it helps others in same situation.

I really like DSM and really want to stay rather than migrate to another OS but I found another post about 6.2.1and no offcial pci drivers. 

Maybe I can last out with 6.1 for as long as possible until the last min things stop working or a work around is found.

Don’t know anything about your ibm controller so can’t help you there. The route I chose was to go virtual which can simplify things a lot by reducing dependence on having the exact hardware. I use ESXI.   The reality is DSM is designed for Synology hardware and if you want to use it you either have to build a compatible system and use available hacks, research and build your own hack, or buy a Synology box and help them pay for the costs to develop DSM. 😉

Anyone who is running 1.04b on ESXI with a HBA in pass-through? Would love some input on what settings to change in the grub config in order to only show the drives connected to the HBA and ignore the bootloader itself. Is it possible to increase the number of drives by only changing the settings in the grub file now? I'm using a LSI 9201-16i, so 16 ports.

This is how it looks right after a new install with two WD Red drives attached to my LSI HBA in pass-through mode. I can see the bootloader (configured as SATA) taking up the first slot. I have no additional SATA controller added to the VM (I have removed all I can remove). For some reason I have four empty slots before the two drives of my HBA show up. I guess this has something to do with the SATAmap variable but I cant' find much info on it. Considering that it shows me 16 slots (more than the default 4 or 12 of the original synology) without modifying any system files I guess I somehow can support all 16 drives or even pass-through two HBA's in order to get 24 drives?

Capture.PNG

Edited by NeoID

3 hours ago, sweetmeinert said:

i have an asus h61m-f board where there is a realtek 8111f gigabit lan on  i can´t not get  loads to work can you help me and which loader and what vision xpenology can i use ??

Most likely 3615/17 with 1.02b DSM 6.1.x. Are you sure you've installed DSM 6.2 and not 6.2.1? It might work as well but I'm fairly sure 6.1 will work.