XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

I would like to do a baremetal on a HP gen8 server (actually an upgrade). To run the most recent version of DSM, is it correct only loader 1.04b does the job? If so, I can only use the ds918+ image. What should i use as a serial number? I did not find a serial generator. Can I use a serial of a ds3516?

16 hours ago, MVER said:

I would like to do a baremetal on a HP gen8 server (actually an upgrade). To run the most recent version of DSM, is it correct only loader 1.04b does the job? If so, I can only use the ds918+ image. What should i use as a serial number? I did not find a serial generator. Can I use a serial of a ds3516?

MVER, see read three posts above yours

so i read that post as G8 is sandy bridge arch, so you should stick to 1.03b and 3615/3617...

On 11/28/2018 at 5:00 PM, flyride said:

Haswell.

See this:

Thanks flyride.. I guess going forward since the ds3615xs is already EOL and I'm sure the ds3617xs is not far behind, Loader 1.03b and DSM 6.2.x may be the last for these models anyway. I was just hoping to possibly see newer DSM with say support for SMB 3 multichannel and btrfs ZSTD compression options or even offline deduplication with something like bees or dduper < things that benefit a true NAS and not home users wanting a simple 2-drive plex server 

Edited by Black6spdZ

Hi all,

I'm running DSM 6.2 update 2 on a XEON E5 v2 board using 1.03b 3615xs on bare metal. Everything works great but I've never been able to get SataPortMap to work from the grub file sata config (even with 6.1.x). It doesn't look like it's being passed to the kernel on boot up.

I can change the "set sata_args ..." line in my grub.cfg all I want and nothing happens. If I modify common_args_3615 directly to add "SataPortMap=48" then it works perfectly.

/proc/cmdline is (after adding SataPortMap directly to common_args_3615)

syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi quiet SataPortMap=48 root=/dev/md0 sn=1330LWN028356 mac1=00E04C10A6A2 netif_num=1

grub.cfg attached below (VID,PID, SN and MAC hashed out)

Is sata_args supposed to works for bare metal installs? Any ideas why it's not being passed through.

Rest of my system if it matters:

Case: Define Mini

MB: Chinese x79

CPU: E5-1620 v2

RAM: 32GB (4x8GB ECC)

HDD: 8 (5x 2TB + 3x 3TB in SHR through LSI 9220-8i card)

SSD: 2 (Samsung 850 EVO 256GB in RW cache through onboard SATA 6G ports))

DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2

Thanks for any help,

Berardino

grub.cfg

10 hours ago, baratta930 said:

but I've never been able to get SataPortMap to work

Does your mainboard have more than one s-ata controller in the chipset? For example: 4x intel & 2x marvell? In this case the LSI would be the third controller and you could try „428“ for the port mapping. Another approach is modifying the „synoinfo.conf“.

An output of dmesg would be helpful.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:42 AM, bearcat said:

Since there is a big userbase with HP Microserver G7,

it would be nice to have support for the builtin NIC, HP NC107i based on BCM5723.

It has been supported up until now, when 6.2.1 broke it.

Anyone have any ideas here. From what i can gather 6.2.1 has broken tg3 (used by broadcom and others). HP Microserver Gen8 relies on this for its HP Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332i Adapter (2133). 6.2 and 6.2.1 use same kernel level driver. For now i have put in a PCIE Intel NIC but need to free this port up for SATA card

I have tried to recompile the drivers and add both to Juns loader 1.03b and manually (usr/lib/modules and .firmware + modprobe and insmod)

No joy, just get the following error in DMESG and insmod just hangs

[   19.651923] tg3.c:v3.132 (May 21, 2013)

[   19.663818] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 00000000ffffffff 

Weird that the device is detected and driver assigned - perhaps driver is bad in this update? ifconfig shows nothing :(

0000:03:00.0 Class 0200: Device 14e4:165f

Subsystem: Device 103c:2133

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at fabf0000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

Memory at fabe0000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

Memory at fabd0000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

[virtual] Expansion ROM at fab00000 [disabled]

Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data

Capabilities: [58] MSI: Enable- Count=1/8 Maskable- 64bit+

Capabilities: [a0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=17 Masked-

Capabilities: [ac] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

Capabilities: [13c] Device Serial Number 00-00-34-64-a9-9a-09-64

Capabilities: [150] Power Budgeting <?>

Capabilities: [160] Virtual Channel

Kernel driver in use: tg3

Comparing 6.2 to 6.2.1 i can see both are kernel 3.10.105 and make use of the tg3 kernel driver tg3.c:v3.132 (May 21, 2013)

4 hours ago, jensmander said:

Does your mainboard have more than one s-ata controller in the chipset? For example: 4x intel & 2x marvell? In this case the LSI would be the third controller and you could try „428“ for the port mapping. Another approach is modifying the „synoinfo.conf“.

An output of dmesg would be helpful.

Only one sata in the chipset + LSI card.

SataPortMap=48 works perfectly when I add it to "common_args_3615" in the grub config.

See attached screenshot. (4 from onboard sata + 8 from LSI).  (BTW Ignore the verifying hard disks, I was playing with DiskIdxMap and lost the raid for a moment :()

The problem is when adding it to "sata_args", it doesn't work (6 from onboard sata + 8 from LSI)

I had originally modified synoinfo.conf but wanted to get to a "stock" install to avoid updates removing the synoinfo.conf changes (happened before).

dmesg is attached.

Thanks,

Berardino

dmesg.txt

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 8.53.23 AM.png

Edited by baratta930
added verifying comment

Figured it out :)

sata_args is only used for VMWare/ESXI booting.

If you look at the loadlinux function in grub.cfg it passes bootdev_args to the kernel.  bootdev_args is evaluated using

eval "set bootdev_args=\"\$${bootdev}_args\""

bootdev is the 2nd value passed to loadlinux and is "usb" for Baremetal and "sata" for VMWare/ESXI.

So sata_args is only used for VMWare/ESXI and will have no impact on Baremetal.

If you want to play with SataPortMap (which works perfectly for Baremetal BTW) then add it to "extra_args_3615" (3617, etc.)  so that you're not modifying "common_args_3615".

Hope this helps ...

Berardino

• Like 1

Hi buddies. 

Hi have a running system working for with a recently new motherboard and this running like a charm..

For now I'm trying put the system running on a old laptop with the " sis 190" network card, can someone compile to me the network drivers?

Thanks....

3 hours ago, Xeno said:

Hey baratta930

Can you post your grub.cfg screenshot?

Thanks

Sure, attached.  Just to test my theory, I commented out set sata_args completely and it still works perfectly.

See screenshot of Storage Manager: 2x onboard SATA 6G (SSDs), 2x onboard SATA 3G (open), then 8x LSI ports (with raid array).  I'm losing 2 onboard SATA 3G ports but that's not a problem right now.

Hope this helps ...

BTW Are you running 1.04b with 918 image?  Does hw transcoding work with your E3-1276 v3 chip?

Thanks,

Berardino

grub.cfg

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 4.25.11 PM.png

hello,

I did an upgrade to 6.2.1 on my ds3615xs and now it doesn't work. (a mistake, I didn't see the warning)

I tried to go back to 6.2 but it doesn't work, it  tried to repair the system and nothing is happening

I tried the loader 1.04 with 918 image, doesn't work either

how can I repair my xpenology without lost of my data.

thanks in advance for your help

my config : HP micoserver Gen 8 1610T