XPEnology Community

How to reset USB?

3dprint

Question

4 answers to this question

On 8/1/2018 at 1:48 AM, 3dprint said:

I can't seem to get my USB stick to work again after installing XPEnology on it.  I experimented with a few USB sticks before settling on one... I'd like to use the other ones like normal USB's again.  

Insert your USB stick into your PC & run diskpart  from a command line, type select disk to show connected drives, type select disk 1 if thats your USB, type clean all to remove ALL partitions on the disk. You can then format as normal. Just make sure you select the correct disk.

Thank you Dfds for the reply.  I've tried several ways to fix the 3 drives including diskpart.  In attributes, the drives are listed as "Current read-only: Yes"...  "Read-only: No".  I've run CMD in administrator in case that was the problem.  Googled: change current read-only state, with little success.  Also tried to write over the drive with another bootable ISO.  Used HP USB format tool.  Went to some random .ru website to find the driver flash tool from the manufacturer (this is on hold as the last option).  And got real mean with the crappiest USB of the bunch and erased everything I could in Drive Manager (I even took it apart in case somewhere inside the casing was a switch to turn off write protection).

I'd really like to save 1 of the drives in particular if there are any other suggestions out there.

My take-away for the future... don't use good USB drives when testing.

USB drive still tells me it's write protected.  "current read-only" is the problem, not "read-only".  Thanks for Bootice link, nice program.  Don't have Linux.

It's as if the USB had a write protect switch enabled (which it doesn't).  Don't know linux code but seems similar enough to DOS in this case... the method you linked doesn't appear to have a modifier that would force a write protected drive to format (maybe that is implied in Linux?)

Restoring your USB key to its original state using Linux:

A. First we need to delete the old partitions that remain on the USB key.

Open a terminal and type sudo su

Type fdisk -l and note your USB drive letter.

Type fdisk /dev/sdx (replacing x with your drive letter)

Type d to proceed to delete a partition

Type 1 to select the 1st partition and press enter

Type d to proceed to delete another partition (fdisk should automatically select the second partition)