XPEnology Community

Virtual Machine Manager - CPU core allocation

cyankain

Hey all,

Looking for clarification on CPU thread / core count in VMM. I cant find anything specific in the forum search.

I understand the processor ID/core count in DSM is cosmetic, however, curious if anyone is running a 6 core processor, and seeing the allocatable cores in VMM higher than 8.

I have an i5-4440, which is a quad, non-hyper threaded, running the standard VMM which will double the cores to 8. (pro would quad it to 16 i think).

Looking at a new build, but I'm assuming there's no point to getting a hex or octo core, as the VMM is going to go off the Identified CPU of the DSM 3517(Xeon D-1527), as compared to something with a higher core count from the Linux Base of the OS.

Is anyone running VMM, with a processor higher than 4 cores, where in the non-pro version of VMM they're seeing an allocatable count of cores higher than 8?

Any core count difference with a hyper threaded proc?

Thanks,

System details:

Intel i5 4440 3.1Ghz, non-hyper threaded.

DSM 6.1.7 Update 2

Loader 1.02b

Edited by cyankain

Hey there,

That being said, is your Xeon a quad?

I follow that it goes by threads as compared to cores, but my i5 is non-hyper threaded. I'm assuming, your Xeon is a quad, non-hyper threaded, as well.

When you were on your pentium dual-core, were you using the 3615/3617, or the other one (never used the smaller one, forget the model) ?

Were either your xeon or Pentium hyper threaded?

I'm curious to know if anyone has a hex or octo where VMM will go PAST the limit of 2x4=8, (VMM basic will 2x allocatable cores per thread) and look like 2x6 = 12.

Thanks,

16 часов назад, cyankain сказал:

That being said, is your Xeon a quad?

Performance xeon e3 1285l v3

# of Cores 4

# of Threads 8

Performance Pentium G3460

# of Cores 2

# of Threads 2

https://ark.intel.com/

I don't know why VMM shows so in vm's, but in host properties it shows correct 4 cores an 8 threads for xeon.

Скрытый текст

1966280671_2018-07-3009-49-21.png.6135db9c5c47407e192c2b7be9726980.png

16 часов назад, cyankain сказал:

When you were on your pentium dual-core, were you using the 3615/3617, or the other one (never used the smaller one, forget the model) ? 

I used both versions.

• 1 month later...

I was able to confirm your results.

I built 6.2 in a VMWare machine on a host that had two 8 core / hyperthreaded procs. (32 allocatable cores to virtual machines, as it was 32 total threads)

I was able to get VMM running in that DSM VM, create a machine, and i was able to allocate more than 8 cores to the VM.

My assumption is that that will translate the same if DSM was running bare metal, and a 6 or 8 core proc isn't a waste.

Appreciate the response, and help!

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2018 at 11:11 PM, cyankain said:

I was able to confirm your results.

I built 6.2 in a VMWare machine on a host that had two 8 core / hyperthreaded procs. (32 allocatable cores to virtual machines, as it was 32 total threads)

I was able to get VMM running in that DSM VM, create a machine, and i was able to allocate more than 8 cores to the VM.

My assumption is that that will translate the same if DSM was running bare metal, and a 6 or 8 core proc isn't a waste.

Appreciate the response, and help!

How did u do that?! 
I have intel Xeon E5-2620 V2 
6 cores  and 12 Threads ....Do u know how to set all cores  working on a virtual Machine ... as far as i know th emaximum allowed number of threads can be picked is 8. 
Thank you in advance.

9 minutes ago, aTm10452 said:

3615 XS  Legacy mode ... it couldn t  connect on the UEFI !

3615 only supports 8 cores or 4cores + HT by kernel config from synology, you will have to use 3617 to make use of the 12

the original 3615 has 4 cores + HT and the 3617 8cores + HT

1 hour ago, aTm10452 said:

23739(Legacy)...and both work on 3615XS only! 

i talked about using the same dsm version but 3617 instead of 3615, you would need to change the loader (same version but for 3617)

1 hour ago, aTm10452 said:

I was hoping i could find  some command to let  me use all the cores thanks again

no use of 8 is hardcoded into the kernel of 3615, nothing you can do about it beside cross update to 3617

Just to add, my newer build is based on the 104b bootloader, and with a i5-8400 (Hex) :

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126687/intel-core-i5-8400-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

I am able to successfully leverage 6/12 cores/threads out of virtual machine manager.

It's also worth noting that I HAD to switch to the 104b bootloader, as with the 102b bootloader (using DS3517), I couldn't get server 2016 and 2019 VMs to not kernel panic on boot when using 102b. I wasn't able to verify 103B, as I couldn't get it to recognize either my Intel Nics.

Leveraging the better kernel is probably priority here, so 4.4.x from the 104b bootloader was the way to go. 102b and 103b both leverage 3.10.x, so not really worth trying when you think about it.

hope this helps