cyankain

Virtual Machine Manager - CPU core allocation

Posted (edited)

Hey all,

Looking for clarification on CPU thread / core count in VMM. I cant find anything specific in the forum search.

I understand the processor ID/core count in DSM is cosmetic, however, curious if anyone is running a 6 core processor, and seeing the allocatable cores in VMM higher than 8.

I have an i5-4440, which is a quad, non-hyper threaded, running the standard VMM which will double the cores to 8. (pro would quad it to 16 i think).

Looking at a new build, but I'm assuming there's no point to getting a hex or octo core, as the VMM is going to go off the Identified CPU of the DSM 3517(Xeon D-1527), as compared to something with a higher core count from the Linux Base of the OS.

Is anyone running VMM, with a processor higher than 4 cores, where in the non-pro version of VMM they're seeing an allocatable count of cores higher than 8?

Any core count difference with a hyper threaded proc?

Thanks,

System details:

Intel i5 4440 3.1Ghz, non-hyper threaded.

DSM 6.1.7 Update 2

Loader 1.02b

Edited by cyankain

VMM shows threads, not CPU cores. On my xeon I have 8 cores in VMM, when was pentium, I had seen 4 cores in VMM.

Hey there,

That being said, is your Xeon a quad?

I follow that it goes by threads as compared to cores, but my i5 is non-hyper threaded. I'm assuming, your Xeon is a quad, non-hyper threaded, as well.

When you were on your pentium dual-core, were you using the 3615/3617, or the other one (never used the smaller one, forget the model) ?

Were either your xeon or Pentium hyper threaded?

I'm curious to know if anyone has a hex or octo where VMM will go PAST the limit of 2x4=8, (VMM basic will 2x allocatable cores per thread) and look like 2x6 = 12.

Thanks,

16 часов назад, cyankain сказал:

That being said, is your Xeon a quad?

Performance xeon e3 1285l v3

# of Cores 4

# of Threads 8

Performance Pentium G3460

# of Cores 2

# of Threads 2

https://ark.intel.com/

I don't know why VMM shows so in vm's, but in host properties it shows correct 4 cores an 8 threads for xeon.

Скрытый текст

1966280671_2018-07-3009-49-21.png.6135db9c5c47407e192c2b7be9726980.png

16 часов назад, cyankain сказал:

When you were on your pentium dual-core, were you using the 3615/3617, or the other one (never used the smaller one, forget the model) ? 

I used both versions.

I was able to confirm your results.

I built 6.2 in a VMWare machine on a host that had two 8 core / hyperthreaded procs. (32 allocatable cores to virtual machines, as it was 32 total threads)

I was able to get VMM running in that DSM VM, create a machine, and i was able to allocate more than 8 cores to the VM.

My assumption is that that will translate the same if DSM was running bare metal, and a 6 or 8 core proc isn't a waste.

Appreciate the response, and help!