XPEnology Community

Advice for Re-rollout of XPEnology

markinblue

Hi guys,

I am running XPEnology DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 2 (DS3615xs). My current setup is as follows.

HDDs

2xWD Reds WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 3TB in RAID 0 - For Datastore

1x Seagate HD204UI 2TB in Basic Mode - For Security Footage

1x Seagate HD204UI 2TB in Basic Mode - Backup

I bought a new Seagate ST8000VN002 8TB and want to backup all the data from my RAID0 Datastore to it. I plan to redo my XPEnology setup and have some question and would like some advice.

1. If I reinstall XPEnology on a spare Intel 60GB SSD, will I be able to plug in the 8TB with my backup data and add it as a separate volume and be able to see the contents?
  2. Would it be better to install XPEnology on a separate SSD as a single volume as an OS drive and add the 8TB as a single volume just purely for data storage?
  3. Or would it be better to install XPEnology on two USB flash drives in RAID 1 as the OS drive and and add the 8TB as a single volume just purely for data storage?
  4. Or install the 8TB as the OS and data drive and install the 60GB SSD as a SSD read only cache.

From what I have read so far, DSM installs itself onto all HDDs and cannot be install as a single drive for OS, would this be correct?

My XPEnology is mainly used for File Storage, VPN, Torrents, SMB store for my Security Cameras, PLEX (rarely used) and Photo Station.

Photo Station is my main concern as I would wondering will the SSD Cache boost performance when viewing photos.

Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, markinblue said:

will I be able to plug in the 8TB with my backup data and add it as a separate volume and be able to see the contents?

In short: yes, it should be accessible/readable.

From what I have read so far, DSM installs itself onto all HDDs and cannot be install as a single drive for OS, would this be correct?

Correct, there is no "classic" OS drive. Regardless of it's further use (single volume, RAID, etc.) DSM is written on every drive. 

Photo Station is my main concern as I would wondering will the SSD Cache boost performance when viewing photos.

Not really. I have 8x4TB in a RAID 6 with 2x 240GB SSDs for R/W cache on one of my XPEnologys and there was only a slight increase in manners of speed. A real "boost" was moving Photo Station to a RAID 1 consisting of 2x 500GB SSDs (which I also use for Apps).