XPEnology Community

ASUS XG-C100C network cards?

jmacdowall

Hey  smileyworld,

low profile is a problem just because it doesn't fit in the case and i don't have the full size braket to replace the low one:)

i found on amazon the Intel x540 T2 for 120€ which is cheaper than the synology NIC so i'm quite happy. It should be here early next week.

For the backup i have everything on my original synology nas, i think i will use it only as backup server so no problem if i ******* up something:) It will just take time to restore everything over.

In any event i'm very  happy with this xpenology thing. The system is so quite that i cannot hear it and i can have finally the 10gb connection:) And everything i use works perfect.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:45 PM, Aydrian said:

Hey  smileyworld,

low profile is a problem just because it doesn't fit in the case and i don't have the full size braket to replace the low one:)

i found on amazon the Intel x540 T2 for 120€ which is cheaper than the synology NIC so i'm quite happy. It should be here early next week.

For the backup i have everything on my original synology nas, i think i will use it only as backup server so no problem if i ******* up something:) It will just take time to restore everything over.

In any event i'm very  happy with this xpenology thing. The system is so quite that i cannot hear it and i can have finally the 10gb connection:) And everything i use works perfect.

I see. WOW, that's a great deal!

Yeah you're right. I am also pleased with my Xpenology decision. Mine has so much more benefits (cheaper, more powerful, HOT-Swap of 8 drives, two 10Gbit ports, I am able to run it as gaming rig for LANs,...) compared to my previous Synology NAS. Nonetheless I am really appreciative for DSM which we only get from Synology.

• 8 months later...

Hi, 

I am seriously thinking about to upgrade my network to 10gb. Especially the connection between my desktop and my nas is a connection I would love to have a faster read an write speed. But as I am relatively new to the 10gb topic I have some more questions which I hope somebody could share the answers with me.

#1 how can I add the v4.8 extra.lzma driver?

#2 is it possible to have a lan connection between my desktop and my nas without using a 10gb router?

14 minutes ago, TNa681 said:

Hi, 

I am seriously thinking about to upgrade my network to 10gb. Especially the connection between my desktop and my nas is a connection I would love to have a faster read an write speed. But as I am relatively new to the 10gb topic I have some more questions which I hope somebody could share the answers with me.

#2 is it possible to have a lan connection between my desktop and my nas without using a 10gb router?

#1 I can't help you with that, but I would advise you to buy a NIC which is supported by Synology (E10G18-T1 for 1x 10 Gbit connection or Intel Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X540-T2 for 2x 10 Gbit connections) due to future update simplicty. With those cards it is just plug and play!
#2 Yes it is possible. My current configuration is almost exactly as you described. 2 PCs with a direct connection to the Xpenology (2x 10 Gbit - X540-T2) and one (1 Gbit - i219V) connection from my NAS to my router. I set my IPs manually and followed Linus tech tips regarding 10 Gbit settings. Disable flow control, Jumbo 9000,...

those are my network transfer speeds:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-07 um 17.40.36.png

Edited by smileyworld
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. 

Your read and write speeds are amazing! How many HDDs do you have installed and Are you having a Raid 10 config?

Could you link me the Video from Linus? There are so many exiting from him about 10GbE.

2 hours ago, TNa681 said:

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. 

Your read and write speeds are amazing! How many HDDs do you have installed and Are you having a Raid 10 config?

Could you link me the Video from Linus? There are so many exiting from him about 10GbE.

Thanks,

My setup is as follows:

Volume 1 in RAID 10 with 4 HDDs (and two SSDs for read-write cache)

Volume 2 in RAID 0 with 3 SSDs (that’s the volume I took the screenshot from. This Volume gets replicated every hour to Volume 1)

Volume 3 Is a single HDD for backup purpose of Volume 1

Volume 4 is for HyperBackup of another Synology NAS

The RAID 10 Volume reaches currently about 240 mb/s read and 210 mb/s write speeds without SSD cache (The SSD cache is in my opinion overrated -> that’s the reason I created a RAID 0 Volume which gets replicated every hour). My guess is, that if you add 2 more HDDs you would get 360 mb/s read and 315 mb/s write speeds.

Side note: Unfortunately, Synology has decided to use m.2 PCI SSDs only as SSD cache, which means that you can't get the maximum speed out of every file transfer, and you need to create a Volume with SATA SSDs to get these numbers permanently.

I will send you the link later.

In the meantime I decided to go with a Raid 5 config with 5x3TB WD Red. I hope I can reach around 400mb/sec.

I'd like to use it mainly as source for my 4k footage and have planned to edit (FCPX) directly on it without copying the footage to my desktop anymore.

Alright, thank's in advance!

Edit:

cache makes no sense for me (I guess - without ever having tried) since my data is way to much in my opinion in order to create a useful cache scenario.

Edited by TNa681

16 hours ago, TNa681 said:

just copy the extra.lzma to your (1.02b) loaders 2nd partition, overwriting the file that's already there

keep in mind that using older drivers might not work with recent hardware, the aquantia chip might be still the same but there might be different phy's now (chips that handle the physical media like 10GBASE-T (i've experienced this with tehuti based cards)

also if the distance is max 7m you could buy sfp+ cards and use a DAC cable (passive <10m is cheap), will have lower latency and you can upgrade to a reasonabley priced switch like this

https://www.servethehome.com/mikrotik-crs305-1g-4sin-review-4-port-must-have-10gbe-switch/

if you need newer drivers then you will have to update to 6.2.2 and use the recent driver package that i maintain

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

just copy the extra.lzma to your (1.02b) loaders 2nd partition, overwriting the file that's already there

Thank you very much!

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

keep in mind that using older drivers might not work with recent hardware, the aquantia chip might be still the same but there might be different phy's now (chips that handle the physical media like 10GBASE-T (i've experienced this with tehuti based cards)

also if the distance is max 7m you could buy sfp+ cards and use a DAC cable (passive <10m is cheap), will have lower latency and you can upgrade to a reasonabley priced switch like this

https://www.servethehome.com/mikrotik-crs305-1g-4sin-review-4-port-must-have-10gbe-switch

if you need newer drivers then you will have to update to 6.2.2 and use the recent driver package that i maintain

I think I am going with the original card E10G18-T1 as I‘d like to avoid trouble with drivers.

For the moment I don’t need a switch as all my  network devices are having gigabit network and I only want to upgrade my desktop and my nas with 10Gb lan.