XPEnology Community

ASUS XG-C100C network cards?

jmacdowall

ASROCK Z370 GAMING K6

INTEL INTEL CORE I3-8100

CRUCIAL 8GB 2X4 D4 2400 SPLT CL16

10 randoms HDDs = SHR = 20TB

XPEnology runs pretty great! Ended up with a DS-3615xs running 6.1.6-15266

Turned on SHR because the drives are all different sized repurposed HDDs.

I installed an ASUS XG-c100c. The module shows up in lspci -vvv:

admin@salt:**/**$ lspci -d 1d6a:d107 -vvv
0000:06:00.0 Class 0200: Device 1d6a:d107 (rev 02)
Subsystem: Device 1043:8741
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
Region 0: Memory at fd840000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Region 2: Memory at fd850000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Region 4: Memory at fd400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Expansion ROM at fd800000 [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: atlantic

but when I look in DSM > Networking > Network Interface > LAN 2 "Disconnected" and the Network Status is "--" I have link lights and a "CAT7" cable between the computers. The other end of the link is a CentOS 7.4 server. If I ifconfig down the interface, the link lights go out. When I up the interface the lights come on. I could do this all day.

What am I doing wrong? I edited the grub.conf with my mac addresses and changed the nic count to 3.  I've played with changing round the order of the MAC addresses BUT I CAN'T BRING THE 10g INTERFACE UP!

Help?

good to hear

if you have some time, can you check the loader 1.03a2 and my extra.lzma 0.4 for 918+ image works with your asus xg-c100c nic?

its the same source code version in there but there could be problems with kernel 4.4 that 918+ uses (could not get my tehuti 10G nic to work properly and some intel drivers)

some feedback on that would be nice too

https://mega.nz/#F!BtFQ2DgC!JgomNP3X8V9EuwxL4TXbng 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/ 

• 5 months later...

Hello. 

I'm new here and trying to my best to understand all of this.

Just installed ds918+ with 1.04b loader without any extras. 

And as expected Asus xg-c100c didn't show up. 

Tried to add  extra.lzma for DS918+ v0.5_test.

It starts without any problems but still no 2nd network inteface to use. 

I guess that this driver is not compatible with 4.4 kernel or something?

Or am i doing everything wrong. I bet i do because i can't see my NVME drive anywhere. :(

ASUS Prime B360M-A

Intel i3-8100

16Gb Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8GB

2x 1TB sata

3x 2TB sata 

1x 250GB NVME

4 часа назад, Nazutin сказал:

Not only with this kernel, but with all 6.2 DSM. You need NICs from this list.

4 часа назад, Nazutin сказал:

Or am i doing everything wrong. I bet i do because i can't see my NVME drive anywhere. :(

You need M2D17 or M2D18 adapter, but NVMe drives will work on in cache mode only.

15 hours ago, Nazutin said:

Just installed ds918+ with 1.04b loader without any extras. 

And as expected Asus xg-c100c didn't show up. 

Acquantia card is supported, I'm not sure your card's implementation is identical to the OEM card, but if it presents as the Acquantia device type and ID, it should work on the DS3615 image.

I'd start with the 1.02b loader and 6.1.7 and prove it is working.  Then if you still want 6.2.1, try the install again.  Native driver support on 1.03b is imperfect, some drivers crash.

Even when it is working, NVMe only shows up when you go to add cache to an existing storage pool.  You won't see it anywhere else.  It only works in the DS918 image, so using 10Gbe and NVMe at the same time on baremetal does not work.  It is possible, however, if you install with ESXi.

Edited by flyride

Hi, I'm running DS-3615xs with the 1.03b loader as well. Loving Xpenology! I'm also thinking of upgrading to the Asus XG-C100C. Have the issues been sorted out? Currently I'm using the onboard gbe lan, but I wouldn't mind upgrading. I'm considering between the Asus card or a dual gbe intel card. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, a575606 said:

Hi, I'm running DS-3615xs with the 1.03b loader as well. Loving Xpenology! I'm also thinking of upgrading to the Asus XG-C100C. Have the issues been sorted out? Currently I'm using the onboard gbe lan, but I wouldn't mind upgrading. I'm considering between the Asus card or a dual gbe intel card. Any advice?

Hi , I also bought the XG-C100C and it worked with bootloader 1.02b (DS3615XS) DSM 6.1.7 with the extra.lzma pack 4.9

I can't get it running on bootloader 1.03b (DS3617XS or DS3615XS) DSM6.2.... , for now I'm using the 2 onboard 1Gb lan ports and created a bond (Load ballance)

Lan speed will remain 1Gb but it can handle more traffic from separete sources , can't wait for an extra pack for my configuration so I can use the 10Gb card.

Still learning and trying.

7 hours ago, Klasos said:

Hi , I also bought the XG-C100C and it worked with bootloader 1.02b (DS3615XS) DSM 6.1.7 with the extra.lzma pack 4.9

I can't get it running on bootloader 1.03b (DS3617XS or DS3615XS) DSM6.2.... , for now I'm using the 2 onboard 1Gb lan ports and created a bond (Load ballance)

Lan speed will remain 1Gb but it can handle more traffic from separete sources , can't wait for an extra pack for my configuration so I can use the 10Gb card.

Still learning and trying.

Appreciate the feedback. Rolling back to an earlier version definitely isn't an option for me, so I can rule that out for now. If I had dual onboard ports, that would probably be enough, but a single port is limited. Do you happen to know if you can use both the onboard and the pcie card at the same time? If so 3 ports is plenty, so I could just get a dual card. Also wouldn't have to change the primary mac address in the cfg file.

7 hours ago, a575606 said:

Appreciate the feedback. Rolling back to an earlier version definitely isn't an option for me, so I can rule that out for now. If I had dual onboard ports, that would probably be enough, but a single port is limited. Do you happen to know if you can use both the onboard and the pcie card at the same time? If so 3 ports is plenty, so I could just get a dual card. Also wouldn't have to change the primary mac address in the cfg file.

Installed an extra 1gb card combined with the 2 onboard lan ports and and it works creating a bond ,got a 3gb lan connection now. .. Hardware used is an old Asus P5B deluxe mainboard and an Intel Pro/1000CT card .... Goodluck

Edited by Klasos

18 hours ago, a575606 said:

Great, that's pretty much what I plan to do, but in reverse. Did you have to add the extra mac address in the cfg file or did it just boot straight up and detect it?

Just plugged in it in , it was detected and I created a new bond with 3 lan ports. No need to reconfigure ,just works fine.

Goodluck.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:32 PM, IG-88 said:

the driver in the v4.8 extra.lzma is not recent anymore, maybe a newer driver helps

i've compiled aquantia x2.0.10.0 driver for 3615 so you can test that v4.9_test version in the following link (only new compared to 4.8 ist the aquantia driver)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05787267927444477854

Do these drivers also work on DSM 6.2 ? Got a machine running with xpenology jun's bootloader 1.03A (DS3617XS) and I would realy like to use these new drivers for the 10Gb lan card (Asus XG-C100).

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2018 at 6:32 PM, IG-88 said:

the driver in the v4.8 extra.lzma is not recent anymore, maybe a newer driver helps

i've compiled aquantia x2.0.10.0 driver for 3615 so you can test that v4.9_test version in the following link (only new compared to 4.8 ist the aquantia driver)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05787267927444477854

Hey IG-88,

I am new to xpenology but already set up a perfectly working hackintosh. Now I am facing problems with the Asus C100C in my Xpenology build. Could you pls send me the aquantia x2.0.10.0 driver for 3615 you compiled a while ago?

My Hardware:

CPU: intel i3-8100

Mainboard: asrock x370m pro 4

RAM: G.Skill NT Series DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2400

Network card: Asus XG-C100C

Cheers

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 11:44 PM, Klasos said:

Hello,

i'm trying to make the card working. i installed the bootloader 1.02b (DS3615XS) DSM 6.1.7 and everything is fine but the system doesn't see the XG-C100C. i also downloaded the extra.lzma pack 4.9, but i'm not sure how to install it on the sd card. Can you help please?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Aydrian said:

Hello,

i'm trying to make the card working. i installed the bootloader 1.02b (DS3615XS) DSM 6.1.7 and everything is fine but the system doesn't see the XG-C100C. i also downloaded the extra.lzma pack 4.9, but i'm not sure how to install it on the sd card. Can you help please?

Thank you

Hello Aydrian,

I got the Asus NIC working in 6.1.5 but never in 6.1.7. However I just bought a used Intel x540 T2 for 100€ which allows me to run DSM 6.2.1 without any problems. I would recommend you to switch your card to something Synology lists on their compatibly list, otherwise you always have to find a workaround for every (major) update.

Cheers

Edited by smileyworld

15 minutes ago, smileyworld said:

Hello Aydrian,

I got the Asus NIC working in 6.1.5 but never in 6.1.7. However I just bought a used Intel x540 T2 for 100€ which allows me to run DSM 6.2.1 without any problems. I would recommend you to switch your card to something Synology lists on their compatibly list, otherwise you always have to find a workaround.

Cheers

I think i will switch Nic, i can still use the asus one on another windows pc i got. Intel cards are very expensive here. but i found on amazon this Synology E10G18-T1.  do you think it will run on a z390 intel motherboard?

Also i got a gigabyte Z390. i tried loader 1.02b with ds3615xs 6.1.7 and everything except the network card was ok, but when i tried the loader 1.03b i had no network. In the forum i saw that i should boot in legacy mode, but in the boot priority of the motherboard was always showing the sd card as uefi:(

19 hours ago, Aydrian said:

I got it. DSM 6.2-23739 up and running no problem:) now i just need to wait for the NIC to be delivered:)

Thank you very much

Glad to hear that. You should be fine with the E10G18-T1. I had that card once in my NAS, but I returned it due to the cheap Intel card which has two 10Gbit ports.

I got the E10G18-T1 but it is low profile. i'm sending it back. Do you know if the  Intel x540 T2 runs 6.2.2.24922 without problems?

I saw a lot of reports of failed update to 6.2.2.24922 because no connectivity and my current NIC is a realtek onboard and it is one of the main reason for the failure.

I want to get a compatible 10gb NIC before try it.

2 hours ago, Aydrian said:

I got the E10G18-T1 but it is low profile. i'm sending it back. Do you know if the  Intel x540 T2 runs 6.2.2.24922 without problems?

I saw a lot of reports of failed update to 6.2.2.24922 because no connectivity and my current NIC is a realtek onboard and it is one of the main reason for the failure.

I want to get a compatible 10gb NIC before try it.

Hey Aydrian,

why is a low profile nic a problem for you? I didn't face any install issues (It's just plug an play). There was only once a connection issue where DSM didn't recognise the connected client (Hackintosh1). I just rebootet the NAS and everything has worked fine again. I would only recommend the Intel X540 T2 if you can get it cheap and not for 300€+

Before you try anything you should however do a full backup (as you probably already know) and I even disconnected my HDDs and SSDs with my important data (Just in case). I cant speak for the realtek but the Intel I219-V is working flawlessly.

Some screenshots for you:

nics.thumb.png.bc3ff111fcecf126323f788b97ea8921.pnginfo.thumb.png.e261be633e2a50502024b4fa072d8a5b.png