j3455 usb 3.0 very slow


Recommended Posts

sorry for my poor english.

 

i used DSM 6.1.7 on my asrock J3455-ITX for a while, it works ok except the usb3.0 speed.

i got only 20~30M/s of copy speed when i plug my USB3.0 flash disk into J3455-ITX.

2067933057_QQ20180718231124.jpg.4be6cbd14d79b40ce8de9624dabf26e8.jpg

but when i plug into my desktop computer it can get 100M/s as it should be.

 

here is another interesting thing:

at first i thougt it was due to the old linux kernel (3.10.x).

but not long ago i occasionally saw someone from a local NAS fans group say that j3455 works very well on 5.1-5055 including usb copy speed.

so i tried a fresh install 5.1-5055 on J3455-ITX i found it works! i can get 100M/s copy speed!

 

when i upgrade to 5.2 it slows down again.

and i also tried a fresh install 6.2 and still slow.

so i think it may be the driver is broken or something wrong rather than the old kernel version.

and i guess only DSM 5.1-5055 can reach the normal performance?

 

is there anyone use the same motherboard(or asrock j3455b-itx/j4205-itx i think the same usb chip) can test usb 3.0 copy speed?

 

Edited by kpas
Link to post
Share on other sites

The network performance on 1.02b / 6.1.7 was a little underwhelming - only peaking at 80MB/s write.

 

Decided to disable C-States in the BIOS and got this (1.02b / 6.1.7):

image.png.198c0928b3e455da3dee379be37d9d7b.png

 

Upgraded to 1.03a / 6.2 and got this:

image.png.241b6152e5cf179a2a7a02a734790a89.png

 

USB performance matches the network performance - full speed on 6.1.7:

image.png.eea667a67d68c1a7754c27a6c561673f.png

 

Much slower in 6.2:

2018-07-19_22-24-11.gif.44977b7fc3d395ca79d400bfa9539d52.gif

 

I might give up on the idea of upgrading to 6.2 and stick with my existing setup.

Edited by ideasman69
Link to post
Share on other sites

good arguments to stay with dsm 6.1.x ?

1.03a2 is still alpha and for testing, its for people that like to waste time and try to find (impossible) solutions for problems that do not exist for other people

i'm having "fun" myself with the drivers for some nic's and mpt2/3sas

 

i'd suggest to search the log for anything unusual and have a look with "top" if anything is interfering

Edited by IG-88
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

The network performance on 1.02b / 6.1.7 was a little underwhelming - only peaking at 80MB/s write.

 

Decided to disable C-States in the BIOS and got this (1.02b / 6.1.7):

image.png.198c0928b3e455da3dee379be37d9d7b.png

 

 

thanks!

i will try "disable C-States" to see if it can improve my usb/network copy performace.

did you find any other bios settings may be affected? (may be i guess "ACPI HPET" or "vt-d vt-x" ?)

Edited by kpas
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kpas said:

thanks!

i will try "disable C-States" to see if it can improve my usb/network copy performace.

did you find any other bios settings may be affected? (may be i guess "ACPI HPET" or "vt-d vt-x" ?)

 

i tried every other bios option and had no luck. using the 916+ 1.02b bootloader is crazy fast but again, only working with 6.1.7. no gpu acceleration though :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ideasman69 said:

 

i tried every other bios option and had no luck. using the 916+ 1.02b bootloader is crazy fast but again, only working with 6.1.7. no gpu acceleration though :(

disable "C-States" (and i set "power gear" to "sport mode" at the same time, may be this is useful?) is the solution for my problem

thanks again!

743832639__20180720224054.png.f5de6c093c266f49ee2c0bfa3bd1e393.png

 

Edited by kpas
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kpas said:

disable "C-States" (and i set "power gear" to "sport mode" at the same time, may be this is useful?) is the solution for my problem

thanks again!

743832639__20180720224054.png.f5de6c093c266f49ee2c0bfa3bd1e393.png

 

 

Awesome! What version of the bios is your board running?

 

I've tried the sport mode on mine, still no luck :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

 

Awesome! What version of the bios is your board running?

 

I've tried the sport mode on mine, still no luck :(

1.30

i saw you have already got 80M speed of USB copy in 6.1.7 

 

I think 6.2 is not stable so stay with 6.1.7 is good idea 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.