XPEnology Community

Original DSM (.pat file) from Synology usable?

Deadnobody

Sure,
so I was wondering if there might be any legal trouble or problems (updates etc.) when I use the "official" DSM downloaded from Synology.

I was a bit wondering because in all tutorials, there was never this screen where I should choose the .pat file I would like to use.
I guess it has something to do with the fact, that I used a storage which was already in use in a Synology Diskstation.

Kind regards

2 hours ago, Deadnobody said:

Hello,

first: I don't know if there is any legal trouble using the pat file from Synology. Is there legal trouble using XPenology at all?

Second: You can download the pat file from Synology according to the loader you are using. Jun's v1.02b loader is available for different hardware.

Do a clean install if you are using an empty HD or if you don't need the data on it.

If you allready have data on your HD from a Synology Dikstation you can try to "migrate". (Always make a backup before you start)

In your case, there seems to be something wrong. You wrote that you are using Jun's DSM 6.1 loader. But you installed DSM version 6.2?

This don't work because you brick your machine using 6.2 with the v1.02b loader.

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I definately used Jun's loader "DS916p 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img" and I have 6.2 up and running stable (see attachment).
I was wondering because in no tutorial or elsewhere I saw a screen where I could choose which .pat file I would like to install.

Kind regards

system.PNG

12 минуты назад, Deadnobody сказал:

I definately used Jun's loader "DS916p 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img" and I have 6.2 up and running stable (see attachment).

It seems to me that you have installed the DSM on bootloader 1.03a2 😂

Unless you manually modify them yourself, you will not be using anything other than original PAT files from Synology.

You should read the FAQ and best practices regarding updates.  In short, nobody knows for sure whether an update is going to break XPEnology.  Most folks either wait for someone to report success on a software/hardware platform similar to theirs before applying an update, or have a test system that they don't mind crashing to try it out on prior to committing the production system.