XPEnology Community

Will it run Xpenology?

rajy3k

Question

Hi Guys! I started building my FreeNAS server, however things were a bit too much for my liking, as in terms of ease of install and keep it up and running. I finally gave up after setting it up and now the server hasn't been used for sometime. I already have a Synology 1815+ which is my media server for quite sometime. I was thinking of upgrading the storage by putting the add on and thats when I read about Xpenology and thought that I can use my existing FreeNAS machine to Xpenology. The hardware is mentioned below and I want to know can Xpenology be setup and run on it?

CPU: Xenon E5-1650 v4

MB: Supermicro X10-SRI-f 

RAM: 64 GB ECC 2400 MHz DDR4

HDD: 10x4Tb Seagate Iron Wolf 

Case: NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays Server Rack mount RPC-4224

SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+sas Pcie 2.0 running on Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX.

Will it run Xpenology as smoothly my 1815+?? Also, I was using ZFS RAID-Z2, so what will you guys suggest RAID6. Also, I planned to add up another 10 HDD later in increments of 2 HDD each. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance

Rajy3k

Edited by rajy3k

5 answers to this question

I also moved from FreeNAS (kept killing my VM's in the unsupported VirtualBox) through Proxmox and now here. I use the DS3617 build and it works great! Virtual machines works perfectly and 1gbit is no problem! I have a i5 with 32GB RAM and just a standard ASRock motherboard, works fantastic!

4 hours ago, ccxpenologyxcc said:

OP, did you ever get it running with this hardware? I'm planning a build with the same hardware for freenas and I want to see if xpenology will work with it in case It becomes too much of a headache (zfs sounds like a pain to deal with)

That hardware should work great, either baremetal or under ESXi.  Suggested loader 1.02b or 1.03b and DS3615 DSM.