XPEnology Community

Extend VM disk for XPEnology

MAdD

Question

Hi all,

i've setup my XPEnology on HP Microserver Gen8 which is running ESXi 6.5 u2.

I provisioned my data drive at 1.5 TB, but now i'm running out of diskspace.

Can i extend this disk to 2 TB (using 2 * 3TB disk in ESXi) easily in DSM?

Or is the best way to create a second disk (0.5 TB) and add this disk to XPEnonlgy (DSM)?

thanks in advance for the answers!

MAdD

4 answers to this question

if you just have a basic disk in dsm then your way without backup/restore to a new bigger virtual disk would be going over to JBOD mode where disks are just chained (no redundancy like the basic disk), the equivalent to that on a normal linux might be lvm volume with 2 (different) disks, after "glueing" the partitions together as one the file system can be extended to use the newly added space (dsm does that as JBOD mode)

If you are not using DSM to provide storage redundancy, why are you using it in the first place vs. a Linux fileshare or Docker host?

You could theoretically use vSAN to achieve redundancy in the VMWare space (again DSM seems useless at that point).

Like IG-88 says, you can provision on two datastores and the JBOD them together in DSM, but there is no redundancy.

If you have a 1.5TB volume on a 3TB datastore, and you want a 2TB volume on a 3TB datastore, it's not difficult to add space to your VMDK, then use mdadm and btrfs/ext tools to expand the disk from command line.

Another option is to create 2TB VMDK on the 2nd 3TB datastore, convert the volume to a RAID1, expand the 1.5TB VMDK to 2TB, repair which will automatically expand the volume, then drop the member on the 2nd datastore.  You will then have a "critical" RAID1 which is the same as a Basic volume, you then can get rid of the error message with mdadm --grow -n 1 --force /dev/mdX