XPEnology Community

Xpenology on a storage server

She

Hello

I m planning to built an inexpensive storage server. i already have a synology 1812+ running 24/7, for seeding/leeching and i just need some more storage for all my personal data & movies. The storage server will be shut down most of the time, and it will only open when i need some data from it (not many times per week, maybe 2-3)

So i figure out that an hp n54l and XPEnology will be perfect since that i already know the synology os.

I m planning to go with 6 x 4TB WD RED or Seagate has drives.

1) is it possible to expand the volume (DSM 5) without any problems due to the long rebuilt times on big discs (I will also use RAID5 on the six discs) and is the problem with expanding a volume greater than 16TB solved ?

2) XPEnology os is stable and safe for a storage server with 20+TB or should i go with another solution like ZFS, unraid etc

3) is there any security holes (gain unauthorised access etc) that we should worry about ?

4) what is the best,preferred method to use a storage server (for longer health of disc)

a) always open 24/7

b) open when we need some data (i read that, on start ups, the discs are pushing harder)

5) if the volume is crashed, will i be able to get the data back from the drives that are still healthy?

any advice will be more that welcomed!

I have a twelve-drive Xpenology box that use to perform periodic backups of my Synology DS1813+ I boot it up when needed, and then shut it down after the backups have completed. It has been flawless so far, except the known issue that iSCSI does not work.

Same here

2 x Microservers

One running 24/7

Second I fire up once a day and perfom the Synology Network Backup too.... then it's shut back down

Works Great

3rd Microserver is for play / testing

4th Xpenology is currently being changed.....but will be a 16 Drive Chassis which will be a second backup / with "date versioning".... of the Main Microserver..... so if I do delete something important, I can go back in time and retrieve it

Wake On Lan, and a Remote controlled Power Distribution helps to simplify it all.

I have a twelve-drive Xpenology box that use to perform periodic backups of my Synology DS1813+ I boot it up when needed, and then shut it down after the backups have completed. It has been flawless so far, except the known issue that iSCSI does not work.

thanks for the reply.

I only concern about if one drive fails and had another fail during the rebuilt which will take many days due to the 6x4TB.. i will use RAID5... RAID6 is good but its overkill for home use with 6 discs total.

Is there a way to get our data back if we use RAID5 and we have 2 drives failed (crashed volume)?

Same here

2 x Microservers

One running 24/7

Second I fire up once a day and perfom the Synology Network Backup too.... then it's shut back down

Works Great

3rd Microserver is for play / testing

4th Xpenology is currently being changed.....but will be a 16 Drive Chassis which will be a second backup / with "date versioning".... of the Main Microserver..... so if I do delete something important, I can go back in time and retrieve it

Wake On Lan, and a Remote controlled Power Distribution helps to simplify it all.

thanks for the info.

I read that the frequent start up of the discs are more stressful than running the discs 24/7.

Is it true?

Do you have any worries about security issues (unauthorised access by hackers etc) because of the alpha/beta and repacking of XPEnology?

there might be some deliberately holes opened.