XPEnology Community

Drivers requests for DSM 6.2

58 minutes ago, fa2k said:

i have compiled a other version. Please try to load this driver. i cant test it, sorry..

Regarding the crossflash.. take a look here: https://chrisdb.com/crossflash-update-sas3008-based-hba/

ds3617_6.2_megaraid_v1.1.zip

Pulled that machine apart to try something else! Will test new drivers in the next hour and report back. 

Just to be clear, I am using the megaraid drivers you supplied and NOT using your mpt* drivers (using the default ones in the image)

Also looked at that Crossflashing link. The problem still remains that all these instructions call for using a jumper on the card and mine has absolutely no physical jumpers on it. 

This time 3 of the drivers failed to load. Dmesg output below:

[    2.322299] megaraid_mbox: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)

[    2.324274] megaraid: Unknown symbol pv_cpu_ops (err 0)

[    2.324278] megaraid: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)

[    2.328565] Fusion MPT base driver 3.04.20

[    2.328566] Copyright (c) 1999-2008 LSI Corporation

[    2.332837] Fusion MPT SPI Host driver 3.04.20

[    2.335013] Fusion MPT SAS Host driver 3.04.20

[    2.337189] Fusion MPT misc device (ioctl) driver 3.04.20

[    2.337232] mptctl: Registered with Fusion MPT base driver

[    2.337232] mptctl: /dev/mptctl @ (major,minor=10,220)

[    2.339359] megaraid_sas: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)

[    2.343067] mpt2sas version 20.00.00.00 loaded

[    2.347259] mpt3sas version 13.00.00.00 loaded

2 hours ago, fa2k said:

i have compiled a other version. Please try to load this driver. i cant test it, sorry..

Regarding the crossflash.. take a look here: https://chrisdb.com/crossflash-update-sas3008-based-hba/

ds3617_6.2_megaraid_v1.1.zip

Is it possible for you to share where you're getting the linux kernel source to compile these drivers? That way I can try myself. 

I'm assuming I can reuse the toolchain for bromolow. Are there any other config settings you're using to run make that you may be able to share?

I looked into the kernel source here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology NAS GPL Source/22259branch/broadwell-source/linux-3.10.x.txz/download

Don't know if this is the correct version. Unfortunately, the megaraid driver bundled there is the same old version which does not have PCI IDs for my card....

i think the pv_xx symbols are from the virtualization driver..it is possible that i have selected to much of the virtualization support in earlier requests. So you can setup a new enviroment and select just the megaraid driver.

Can you share your PCI ID related to the controller?

My development enviroment isn´t special..

here my notes how i installed it:

1) install debian stable 
2) apt-get install build-essential debootstrap python-pip automake libgmp3-dev libltdl-dev libunistring-dev libffi-dev libcppunit-dev ncurses-dev imagemagick libssl-dev pkg-config zlib1g-dev gettext git curl subversion check intltool gperf flex bison xmlto php expect libgc-dev mercurial cython lzip cmake swig libc6-i386 libmount-dev libpcre3-dev libbz2-dev
3) mkdir /toolkit
4) cd /toolkit
5) git clone https://github.com/SynologyOpenSource/pkgscripts-ng.git
6) cd pkgscripts-ng
7) ./EnvDeploy -v 6.2 -p broadwell
8) cd /toolkit/build-env
9) chroot ./ds.broadwell-6.2

then setup the linux kernel inside chroot:

1) wget https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/dsgpl/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/22259branch/broadwell-source/linux-3.10.x.txz --no-check-certificate
1.1) tar Jxvf linux-3.10.x.txz
2) cd linux-3.10.x
3) cp synoconfigs/broadwell .config

Select the needed driver

4) make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- menuconfig

Compile the selected modules

5) make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- modules

have you tried to select the "LSI Logic MegaRAID Driver (New Driver)" ?

image.thumb.png.478055c8dc082ac3e3b602b5763260be.png

Try to load the VMware PVSCSI driver before megaraid to solve the unknown pv_xx symbols.

vmw_pvscsi.zip

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fa2k said:

i think the pv_xx symbols are from the virtualization driver..it is possible that i have selected to much of the virtualization support in earlier requests. So you can setup a new enviroment and select just the megaraid driver.

Can you share your PCI ID related to the controller?

My development enviroment isn´t special..

here my notes how i installed it:

then setup the linux kernel inside chroot:

have you tried to select the "LSI Logic MegaRAID Driver (New Driver)" ?

image.thumb.png.478055c8dc082ac3e3b602b5763260be.png

Try to load the VMware PVSCSI driver before megaraid to solve the unknown pv_xx symbols.

vmw_pvscsi.zip

Thanks for sharing those notes for your environment. I've tried building against that source already and that driver doesn't recognize my adapter. 

PCI ID for this adapter is 005f. In the LSI official drivers it is defined in megaraid_sas.h as: #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_LSI_FURY                  0x005f

I've attempted using the LSI drivers but they are written against newer kernel and so far I've not been able to get them to work (driver crashes on load or doesn't build). Going to try a bit more to search for back ports etc. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jay Y said:

PCI ID for this adapter is 005f. In the LSI official drivers it is defined in megaraid_sas.h as: #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_LSI_FURY                  0x005f

oh, i see.

but what's stopping you from switching to DS918+ with 1.04b Loader?

There i can see, that the megaraid driver will be integrated.

image.png.cf0fc749180860af34678f5005e71c6a.png

Edited by fa2k

8 minutes ago, fa2k said:

oh, i see.

but what's stopping you from switching to DS918+ with 1.04b Loader?

There i can see, that the megaraid driver will be integrated.

image.png.cf0fc749180860af34678f5005e71c6a.png

have you tried to use the megaraid_sas.h from apollolake source (4.4.x)?

I've done this too many times and may be starting to lose track a bit...

I took the driver from 4.4.x source and compiled it against current kernel. If I remember right, it doesn't build because of missing dependencies. Went down the rabbit hole of trying to fix those one at a time until I got to missing kernel dependencies and then gave up. 

I also tried DS918+ with the 1.04b Loader and the image just doesn't come up to even setup. Console shows lots of error messages, loading of drivers and errors appears to be all out of order. Lots of crashes (I think drivers) etc. Don't know what's with that image that does not sit right. Will give it another shot with a clean disk later today and see if I can work through the errors.  

4 hours ago, fa2k said:

i have build a new driver from 3.11 linux kernel without any problems. 

the FURY 0005f was listed, so give it a try. :-)

3.11-source.zip

Still failing with the same errors as before. I put in your version of the vow_pvscsi driver and now that is failing too:

[    2.314830] vmw_pvscsi: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)

[    2.316878] megaraid cmm: 2.20.2.7 (Release Date: Sun Jul 16 00:01:03 EST 2006)

[    2.319068] megaraid: 2.20.5.1 (Release Date: Thu Nov 16 15:32:35 EST 2006)

[    2.321165] megaraid: Unknown symbol pv_cpu_ops (err 0)

[    2.321169] megaraid: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)

[    2.325482] Fusion MPT base driver 3.04.20

[    2.325483] Copyright (c) 1999-2008 LSI Corporation

[    2.329726] Fusion MPT SPI Host driver 3.04.20

[    2.331939] Fusion MPT SAS Host driver 3.04.20

[    2.334126] Fusion MPT misc device (ioctl) driver 3.04.20

[    2.334170] mptctl: Registered with Fusion MPT base driver

[    2.334172] mptctl: /dev/mptctl @ (major,minor=10,220)

[    2.336292] megaraid_sas: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)

I got a hold of the driver from Kernel 3.16.62 a few hours back and was about to run a diff to see what's changed and if are any dependency issues. 

When you see this, mind sharing the 3.11 source you got? I can try compiling with the environment I have setup on my end and see if the dependencies can be worked out. 

10 minutes ago, Jay Y said:

When you see this, mind sharing the 3.11 source you got? I can try compiling with the environment I have setup on my end and see if the dependencies can be worked out. 

Ignore the request for source. Better to get your thoughts on fixing that issue with missing symbols. 

I'll get the source for 3.11 and try compiling myself in the meantime. 

Partial SUCCESS!! (SMART issues!)

Finally :) 

Thanks a lot to fa2k for helping along the way.

I took driver source from linux kernel 3.11 (idea from fa2k), compared with older driver code and made updates to the code to fix compatibility issues and then it compiled. 

After that, the driver was still crashing (DMA Read errors) so I had to do more research and found a hint online that disabling intel IOMMU would fix those issues. For that I added a kernel boot parameter (intel_iommu=off) in grub config and now my machine reads the adapter and all disks connected to it. 

Problem now is that DSM UI doesn't seem to be able to read SMART data from the disks attached to the megaraid adapter. Smart information is available if I query via command line. Console also shows problems with the raid volume I created (md1: Failed to send sync event: (sync type: resync, finish: 0, interrupt: 0)), but no errors are reported in DSM UI (Resolved). Anyone know why this might be happening?

I'm going to experiment some more and try and use newer versions of driver code to hopefully fix the above and get more stable drivers (and also try building with IOMMU disabled in build options so grub changes are not needed). Once I find an acceptable (to me) driver I will upload it here for others to use.

This should enable all Dell (And other) RAID cards that use the SAS 3008 chipset once they are put in HBA mode (which is just a setting with the newer Dell cards).  

Edited by Jay Y

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

is it possible to have a driver for WIN SERVER 2016

Microsoft Virtual Network Adapter or the Microsoft Legacy Network Adapter (emulates a DECchip 21140)

On the net, exist this driver DECchip 21140 (called “net-tulip” for some reason)

Is it possible ?
Thanks

Il y a 7 heures, bearcat a dit :

@Benoit Do you plan to run Win 2016 as a virtual server inside baremetal DSM?

Hello,

No, I just want to run a new vm with DSM on Win server 2016.

Now, I can launch 1.04b in a vm. But there is no IP adress affect by the dchp.

I know net tuplip is working with linux on winserver 2016 with Microsoft Legacy Network Adapter configuration.

hence my request.
Do you think I'm on the wrong way?

11 minutes ago, Benoit said:

Hello,

No, I just want to run a new vm with DSM on Win server 2016.

Now, I can launch 1.04b in a vm. But there is no IP adress affect by the dchp.

I know net tuplip is working with linux on winserver 2016 with Microsoft Legacy Network Adapter configuration.

hence my request.
Do you think I'm on the wrong way?

I'm not too familiar with Hyper V but you will need to provide a virtual adapter compatible with DSM.  What other virtual adapter types are available to choose?

il y a une heure, flyride a dit :

I'm not too familiar with Hyper V but you will need to provide a virtual adapter compatible with DSM.  What other virtual adapter types are available to choose?

Only 2 adapter

Microsoft Virtual Network Adapter or the Microsoft Legacy Network Adapter

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, fa2k said:

Hi bearcat,

i have built the driver for DS918+.

It seems the driver need firmware, so i have put it in the zip too.

you can load the driver with insmod /path/to/tg3.ko

Let me know if it work

Broadcom-TG3.zip

Isn't the CPU in the HP Gen8 a Haswell which is the wrong Intel processor version for DS918+  in which case will the installation of this not fail ?

Le ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2019 à 21:29, flyride a dit :

Well try the one you haven't tried and see if it works.  If not, you could install an PCIe NIC (Intel preferred) and pass it through to your VM.

Hi,

Yes I have try these 2 NIC card. with gen1 or gen2 vm, and vhd or vhdx also. And sometime mac spoofing.
I have Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NIC card.

Ii'll try to get an intel nic card this Week.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SUN ASR-5805 RAID Controller 3G SAS / SATA - 8-Port, 2x SFF-8087, PCI-E - 375-3536

LSI MegaRAID SATA/SAS 8708EM2 3Gb/s PCI-Express

plugged on a ASUS H81M-Plus

both tested with extra_v0.2 - v0.5 on jun1.04b with 918+ ... no effect ... boots fine but no disks visible

driver inclusion would be nice 😘

big thx !!!