XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03a2/DSM6.2.x for DS918+

hi,

there is no automatic process

i documented it here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/

when drivers are not in the kernel or do not work then external source mast be used, how good that works depends on the driver in question, sometimes it does sometimes you need to set special switches when compiling or even have to modify something, can be a little unpredictable some times, i usually comment about external source in the driver list in the 1st post of the thread (external source used and what version)

11 hours ago, ed_co said:

For generating the drivers for i290V

are you sure its not a i219v?

On 12/14/2018 at 5:14 PM, marian said:

BTW: 6.2 is based on the latest kernel that on sourceforge. 

the latest i can see there for 6.2 is still the i year old beta 6.2 source, so the "fit" is limited, also afaik there where pcie specific changes in 6.2.1 preventing the drivers to load, so there might be one or two changes to the kernel switches to make it work with 6.2.1, also last time i checked there was no 1.04 loader for 3615/3617

imho there is nothing wrong with 6.1 and 6.2.1 loader is still beta and not available for all three versions

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

are you sure its not a i219v?

@IG-88 Hey, thanks for the reply, you are completely right!! I forgot the name, and I wrote it incorrectly sorry, it is the i219V!!

Could you please make i219V work in DSM 6.2.1? My H370M-ITX/ac motherboard has the NIC i211V too and works almost perfect, except for the i219V, with the loader 1.04b 918+ which is the best match for my hardware in every aspect.

Thanks!!

Edited by ed_co

On 12/16/2018 at 9:47 AM, IG-88 said:

when drivers are not in the kernel or do not work then external source mast be used, how good that works depends on the driver in question, sometimes it does sometimes you need to set special switches when compiling or even have to modify something, can be a little unpredictable some times, i usually comment about external source in the driver list in the 1st post of the thread (external source used and what version)

I did recompile whole kernel including modules from the latest sources that were on the sourceforge. I used .config file that came with the source. Change just the few bits in menuconfig to enable virtio drivers and attach "+" at the end of the version so it matches with the one running on the xpenology box. Got it loaded onto the box and virtio_net injects but it doesn't create the interface. Guess i must be doing something wrong. Nothing useful in kernel logs, it's like nothing happened on modprobe. Didn't have the time to investigate further. 

Also if the kernel in the sourceforge is not exactly same version it may not work correctly and hence the issues. Does synology release source as per the GPL or they violate it by keeping it too long?

• 2 weeks later...

jun's mode ds918+ loader,

with 0.5 test extra.lzma 

tn40xx won't regconize  tehuiti tn9710p 10GBase/t NIC QM2-2P10G1T ,let along those ssd on nvme 2280 port.

DSM6.1X/DSM6.2 both tested.

but nvme list can see those ssd on the list.

dmesg cannot grep 10gb nic ,but kernel kmesg says tn40xx detected,still not load module though.

tehuti tn9710p 10GBase/t NIC QM2-2P10G1T provided both linux/os x driver currently works fine in my hackintosh.

so , image something must be patchable with synology driver,i assume tn40xx has some opensource we can dig out.

Edited by afrojewelz

• 2 weeks later...

@IG-88

as both jun and you said, 6.2.1 change some pcie related config that break non official pcie dirver

cuz I run xpenology on proxmox, I need those virtio* driver.

and I did built virtio*.ko from 22259branch source code, but the virtio_pci.ko got error when loading, is there any fix for this?

• 2 weeks later...

The extra drivers found here (https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/), summarized in the extra.lzma file, must be included in the bootimage. In the grub.cfg it says by default only "set extra_initrd =" extra.lzma "". A copy of this file to the root directory is not possible because there is not enough space. What is the solution for a beginner? Thank you very much!

@Larionov8C OK, so you have "no answer"?  Then you better read it one more time...

4 - Now launch OSFMount. Select Mount New, then select the image file you downloaded earlier (i.e. .img extension file) to open. Now select partition 0 (the one that is 15 MB). Click Ok. Then at the bottom of the window make sure to un-tick the "Read only drive". Click Ok. The partition should now be mounted in file explorer. At this point you can navigate to the /grub directory and edit the grub.cfg file.

If you need to replace the extra.lzma ramdisk with the custom ramdisk provided above then you will also need to mount partition 1 (the one that is 30 MB).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

just in a case anyone would experience horrible Areca controllers performance in 6.1.x and expecting it might be better in 6.2.x then you are wrong.

There must be a bug in the driver that was already in the kernel source, so the module won't even load with 3.10.102

I've made module out of the latest 1.40.whatever driver for the kernel 3.10.102 (Jun 1.03b, but there is no such a topic)

Cheers!

arcmsr.ko

• 3 weeks later...

guys i cant find the search function on this site otherwise i would have searched.

Just switched over to 918+ 1.04b (2 machines) and realized that my X540-T2's in both rigs arent communicating with each other, whereas they were in the 3615xs 1.02/1.03

I should have done my research, i would have found (or at least i believe i found) that the 918+ doesn't have spot for pciex8+ nic card...?? 

No wonder its not working. Does anyone know if adding drivers would allow me to add nic/pcie lan cards to the ds918+/1.04b?

Or did the maker of the 1.04b loader allow for to add pcie nic cards?

thanks flyride

i meant search thread. is there a search thread option?

And regarding ixgbe driver is in the DS918 image

that means the drivers are already in the image, so no needed extra drivers correct?

I just tested the x540-t2 in windows and works fine. ive been playing around with the network settings for hours. But it must be something i have/dont have.

From your knowledge, when adding a pcie nic card to this, would you have to add the mac addy in config under nic card #2 on the usb install? or would it just work automatically without adding that info?

38 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

And regarding ixgbe driver is in the DS918 image

that means the drivers are already in the image, so no needed extra drivers correct?

Looking at the spreadsheets linked here and here, you can see the following:

On DS918, v6.2.1 image, the ixgbe (linux device driver that supports X540 NIC family) driver is version 4-2-1-k, which happens to be the default driver in the 4.4 kernel tree

On DS3615 image v6.1.7, the ixgbe driver is version 4.4.6, which is a custom build by Synology

On DS3615 image v6.2.1, the ixgbe driver is a newer custom build at version 5.1.3

You may have a newer X540 card that is not supported by the older driver in the DS918 image. You should be able to prove it by going into Windows and getting the PCI device IDs for your cards and trying to match to the list of device ID's in the spreadsheets.

Synology does not care about updating the ixgbe driver on DS918 because there is no way to install a 10Gbe card in their hardware.  If someone builds a functioning, updated ixgbe driver in extra.lzma for DS918, that may work, otherwise you will need to stay on a DS3615 image to support your cards.

From your knowledge, when adding a pcie nic card to this, would you have to add the mac addy in config under nic card #2 on the usb install? or would it just work automatically without adding that info?

I have never found that the grub MAC setting had any effect on whether a card was recognized by its driver. AFAIK the point is to enable use of a Synology MAC for a service that requires one, and perhaps secondarily to avoid MAC duplication with multiple XPEnology installations on the same LAN.

i meant search thread. is there a search thread option?

Still not 100% sure what aspect of search you have not found yet, but if you click in the search box itself, you get this:

image.png.a75c48e4af218cec2d398a047cb2dadb.png

Edited by flyride

Hi everyone!

First... Sorry for my bad english :)

I've a DSM 6.2.1 918+ installed and fully working, with Jun's Loader 1.04b (thx Jun!!).

I've an Asrock J5005 itx mainboard. I've read in this forum that this CPU is not working completely, but is not that my problem. In this mainboard I have the m.2 slot, so I've bought an Intel 9260 wifi module, confident that is compatible. My fault!! But I would try to make it working.

So I need iwlwifi.ko for kernel 4.4.59, but from this page https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi... intel 9260 is guaranteed to work from kernel 4.14! First question: is possible to make it working in a previous kernel, like this? If not, the solution is buy intel 8620 with updated firmware. Second question: buy the intel 8260 is guaranteed working with dsm 6.2.1 at all?

I try anyway to compile iwlwifi, but downloading iwlwifi, iwldvm, iwlmvm from a newer kernel and then overwrite thin in the dsm kernel 4.4.59.

Third question: has this any sense or not what I try to do?

Anyway, I compile the different driver (as I sayd, taken from the last kernel version) with the make menuconfig from dsm 6.2 apollolake version, adding the '+' sign to the LINUX VERSION. Created the extra.lzma and try to load new modules.

I've an error on boot (dmesg) on every new module:

[   18.022517] mac80211: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP mod_unload ' should be '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload '
[   18.036414] cfg80211: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP mod_unload ' should be '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload '
[   18.045714] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[   18.045719] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[   18.045725] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
[   18.052719] iwldvm: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP mod_unload ' should be '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload '
[   18.062279] Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
[   18.062283] Bluetooth: HIDP socket layer initialized
[   18.068327] iwlmvm: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP mod_unload ' should be '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload '
[   18.082300] iwlwifi: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP mod_unload ' should be '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload '

As you can see I've correct the version magic linux version, but i have the error again.. Now I see bluetooth layaer initialized.. is from my wifi module? Or is a driver loaded on boot from synology? I don't remember if was ther before..

I want to install this wifi module because has 1.4gbps!

Sorry again for my english!

And thanks in advance for anyone want help me!

Luca.

Hi All,

I have a DL380 G7 servers and trying to install xpenology 6.2 using 918 files.

-Updated Nic to latest firmware available (MCB5709C)

-Updates storage controller P410i

- changed VID/PID in the config

-Added MAC in the config

- Replaced lmz file with v4 from this post.

I'm unable to see my server using find my synology or with synology assistent.

Does anyone know if this should work (checked the Nic and storage they are both listed)

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Hemant

16 hours ago, Hawk89luca said:

@Iarn  I don't see correlation from Jun's loader version and extra.lzma, but correlation between linux dsm verson (kernel) and cpu base. This 3D reguard DSM 6.2 for 918+ Intel based. If you have this configuration, you can load this extra.lzma.

Thanks!

On 2/26/2019 at 12:03 PM, hemant said:

Hi All,

I have a DL380 G7 servers and trying to install xpenology 6.2 using 918 files.

-Updated Nic to latest firmware available (MCB5709C)

-Updates storage controller P410i

- changed VID/PID in the config

-Added MAC in the config

- Replaced lmz file with v4 from this post.

I'm unable to see my server using find my synology or with synology assistent.

Does anyone know if this should work (checked the Nic and storage they are both listed)

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Hemant

Intel® Xeon® X569x series processors will not work with DS918 1.04b loader due to hardware specs, try the DS3615 loader that might work if you install a intel network card.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

If some time to play with my DL380 G7 again with Braodcom NetExtreme II 4 ports nic and P410i.

Loader 1.02 NIC works but P410i does not work.

Loader 1.03 Nic does not work, but P410 should work.

I installed loader 1.03b for 3615, did the serial and vid/pid stuf. after boot i get the message "screen will ....continue." and nothing after that. So  decided to connect a cable to the console port to see what is actually happening en i see the following message:

Loading module synobios ... [  OK  ]
[    4.065219] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
ifconfig: ioctl 0x8914 failed: No such file or directory
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
[    4.083229] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[    5.106137] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started

It seems it is failing on the NIC, while it should be working, i recall having the latest firmware on this one supplied by HP not sure why it does not fail on 1.02 while it does on 1.03.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Hemant

In Addition to previous post:

Nic is a HP 3821i, which is a NetExtreme II chipset.

I can go for loader 6.1 and replace the HP P410i with an Adaptect 5805, problem is that I have 16 bays available, which is ok using p410i but the adaptec only has 8 channels. It would be a shame not to utilize all 16 ports available.

I also noticed other errors:

linuxrc.syno failed on 1

:: Loading module cnic ... [FAILED]

[    4.108926] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
[    4.126977] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[    5.156495] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
[    5.174477] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[    6.199884] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
[    6.217872] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[    7.240445] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
[    7.258440] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

:: Starting syslogd ... [  OK  ]
:: Starting scemd
:: Starting services in background
Starting findhostd in flash_rd...
Starting services in flash_rd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J01httpd.sh...
Starting httpd:80 in flash_rd...
Starting httpd:5000 in flash_rd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J03ssdpd.sh...
/usr/bin/minissdpd -i eth0 -i eth1 -i eth2 -i eth3
eth0 not UP
eth1 not UP
eth2 not UP
eth3 not UP
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J04synoagentregisterd.sh...
Starting synoagentregisterd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J30DisableNCQ.sh...
cat: can't open '/sys/block/sd*/device//model': No such file or directory

Cheers,

Hemant