XPEnology Community

Ds916+ or Ds918+ in Virtualbox

Joly00

Hey, i wanted to test some things, but in an seperated enviroment like Virtualbox. I found some articles, that it is possible to boot Xpenology in Virtualbox but only the 3615 version with the 1.02a loader. 

So is it possible to boot the Ds916+ with the 1.02b loader or the Ds918+ with the new 1.03a2 loader, and if so, how?

yes and yes

dont user ide disk for 50mb boot image, use sata 1st disk as boot media (instead the usb on bermatel), 2nd sata disk will be the "normal" disk you are installing to (like 100GB thin disk)

nic intel 1000PRO/MT, the mac has to set in the nic features in the vm to the same as on the boot media (grub.cfg)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

yes and yes

dont user ide disk for 50mb boot image, use sata 1st disk as boot media (instead the usb on bermatel), 2nd sata disk will be the "normal" disk you are installing to (like 100GB thin disk)

nic intel 1000PRO/MT, the mac has to set in the nic features in the vm to the same as on the boot media (grub.cfg)

Könntest du das vllt nochmal erklären, also wie ich die Loader datei einbinden muss in Virtualbox? Wäre sehr nett

as we are in the english section we have to stay by that language

with loader 1.02a jun provided a vmdk file thats like a wrapper for the 50 MB image file

you can use this vmdk (text) file and the synoboot.img (1.02b or 1.03a2) to integrate the image file as disk into virtual box

that way you can still use the usual tools like osfmount to modify the virtual disk used for virtual box (like changing grub.cfg or exchange extra.lzma)

40 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

as we are in the english section we have to stay by that language

with loader 1.02a jun provided a vmdk file thats like a wrapper for the 50 MB image file

you can use this vmdk (text) file and the synoboot.img (1.02b or 1.03a2) to integrate the image file as disk into virtual box

that way you can still use the usual tools like osfmount to modify the virtual disk used for virtual box (like changing grub.cfg or exchange extra.lzma)

Ok, i was able to make it bootable in Virtualbox, but even after 10 Minutes, i cant see it in find.synology.com neither in synology assistant. 

Unbenannt.PNG

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dends said:

Joly00, 

tell me how to run Ds918+ with the new 1.03a2 loader in virtualbox. 

Well, you have to download the old loader version, with the .vmdk file (if you cant find it, create a .vmdk file with this in it "

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=6ccf51e5
parentCID=ffffffff
isNativeSnapshot="no"
createType="vmfs"

# Extent description
RW 102400 VMFS "synoboot.img" 0

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.deletable = "true"
ddb.encoding = "UTF-8"
ddb.longContentID = "7e24a756b77e33e24ac940cc6ccf51e5"
ddb.thinProvisioned = "1"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 9a ee da ca 33-df 5e 04 3f 80 55 f9 62"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "10"
ddb.uuid.image="4b2539af-3baa-4d1d-9b66-767de4b8210d"
ddb.uuid.modification="f4047fa2-67cb-456a-bbb0-066f2c69a462"
ddb.uuid.parent="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
ddb.uuid.parentmodification="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
ddb.geometry.cylinders="101"
ddb.geometry.heads="16"
ddb.geometry.sectors="63"
ddb.geometry.biosCylinders="101"
ddb.geometry.biosHeads="16"
ddb.geometry.biosSectors="63"

"in it and the new loader. Now rename the new 1.03a2 file to synoboot.img and place both files in the same directory.

after this, open virtualbox and create a new virtual machine. Select Linux version 2.6/3.x/4.x (64 bit) and and select "no harddrive".

Then ok.

Right click on the new virtual machine and edit it. First go to harddrives and delete everything that is in there. Click the first button on the bottom to create a new controller and pick sata (that worked for me). The click on the second button of you new controller and add a harddrive, but pick "existing one" and now select your .vmdk file. After this, click again on the second button of you controlle and add a harddrive but ths time, create a new one, minimum about 15gb as far as i know.

After this, change to the network settings tab and anc change from "NAT" to "network bridge" (this could be changed, but this worked for me)

Open the advanced settings and make absolutly sure, that you have this "001132112233" as you mac adress. For better compatibility you should choose "Promiscous mode: for all vms and the host" and for the adaptertype "Intel PRO/1000MT Desktop (82540EM)"

Everything should be fine now and you can start you virtual machine, after about 5 minutes max you should be able to find you NAS with find.synology.com or with the synology assistant. Find.synology.com sometimes was not able to find it, but synology assistant was always able to find it.

I hope this helps you

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have done it several times as described, but the VM always stops in one place.
I have done the same procedure with the old boot loader v1.02 with this tutorial https://xpenology.club/install-dsm-6-1-on-virtualbox/

and there everything works wonderfully.
I have the synoboot.vmdk from "DS916p 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha" and the img from "v1.03a2 / synoboot-ds918p"
https://mega.nz/#F!yQpw0YTI!DQqIzUCG2RbBtQ6YieScWg!yYwWkABb

After starting the VM i selected DS918+ 6.2 VMWare/ESXI.

Can anyody help me?

Unbenannt.PNG

9 hours ago, GaramelNRW said:

Hello,

I have done it several times as described, but the VM always stops in one place.
I have done the same procedure with the old boot loader v1.02 with this tutorial https://xpenology.club/install-dsm-6-1-on-virtualbox/

and there everything works wonderfully.
I have the synoboot.vmdk from "DS916p 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha" and the img from "v1.03a2 / synoboot-ds918p"
https://mega.nz/#F!yQpw0YTI!DQqIzUCG2RbBtQ6YieScWg!yYwWkABb

After starting the VM i selected DS918+ 6.2 VMWare/ESXI.

Can anyody help me?

Unbenannt.PNG

You could try and install it on your vm baremetall and not VMWare/ESXI.

And btw, have u edited the .vmdk file? Because it points to the .img file and is specificly defined with a name, so you should check that name and change it, if it is false.

On 8/23/2018 at 2:52 AM, GaramelNRW said:

No ideas how i can solve this?

Well, if you have done the installation in the way i described it, then i dont know how to solve this issue, but can u give us any further information? Some screenshots of the virtualbox seetings u choose and what exactly doesnt work?

• 1 month later...

I have working solution.
You need to download 1.02b\ds916\synology.img and convert it as follow:

VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI [filename].img [filename].vdi

After that add sata contoller, converted image an additional hdd with space > 10GB.

Network must be set as bridged and set Mac: 001132123456.

On boot stage you must chose first option(not ESX!). After that you can use find.synology.com and install file DSM_DS916+_15284.pat