XPEnology Community

DS916+ doesn't boot

Infray

Hi Guys

I'm currently trying to get the DS916+(1.02b) loader running on my hardware.

I've gotten the DS3615xs(1.02b) loader working after disabling an option called "VT-d Interrupt remapping" in the BIOS.

However, when I try to run the DS916+ (or DS3617xs, it's the same result) it just seems to freeze.

I've configured SOL to get some logging and found out that the DS916+ loader just stops dead after following lines:

[    1.466921] Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...
[    4.118213] Freeing initrd memory: 11132k freed

I've looked at the dmesg output of the DS3615xs installation and it shows no real difference except for the fact that it actually continues to boot.

Might anyone have an idea why it just freezes?

I've added the dmesg output and serial output as attachments.

In all cases I have to used the extra.lzma provided by IG-88 to support my nics.

I'm using following setup:

motherboard: supermicro a2sdi-4c-hln4f

processor: onboard (Intel® Atom™ Processor C3558)

Memory : 16GB ECC

Network: onboard (Quad LAN with Intel® C3000 SoC 1GbE)

Disks: 8x WD red 6TB

Thanks a lot.

dmesg_3615.txt

serial_916.txt

Edited by Infray
  • Like 1

what will you gain by using 3617/916+ ?

as the cpu does not have intel quick sync video you won't have hardware transcoding

if you aim for 916+ and want to play a little why not trying loader 1.03a2 and 918+ dsm 6.2?

i got it running on a C2550 (installed the disk on a different system as the install process always gave error 13 and vid/pid and files where ok)

but that was just for testing, still running 3615 and its fine

imho there i not much you can do beside bios settings, the kernel and system comes from synology and when its not coming up and its not missing drivers then there is not much you can do, compiling a new kernel is no option

9 hours ago, IG-88 said:

what will you gain by using 3617/916+ ?

as the cpu does not have intel quick sync video you won't have hardware transcoding

if you aim for 916+ and want to play a little why not trying loader 1.03a2 and 918+ dsm 6.2?

i got it running on a C2550 (installed the disk on a different system as the install process always gave error 13 and vid/pid and files where ok)

but that was just for testing, still running 3615 and its fine

imho there i not much you can do beside bios settings, the kernel and system comes from synology and when its not coming up and its not missing drivers then there is not much you can do, compiling a new kernel is no option

Hi

I've actually tried the new 1.03b loader before, however the changes I made to grub.cfg to use the Serial over Lan don't seem to work for this loader.
Since no ip is seemingly assigned by DHCP I don't have much to go on.

It might be the same problem as 916+ ...
or it might be that the included network driver(ixgbe) is a variant that doesn't support my nics(intel X553)

N.B. the changes I make to get SOL working:
change the serial port address from "0x3F8" to "0x2F8" 
and in the common_args "ttyS0,115200n8" to "ttyS1,115200n8" and remove "quiet"

10 hours ago, Infray said:

or it might be that the included network driver(ixgbe) is a variant that doesn't support my nics(intel X553)

jun used ixgbe driver version 4.2.1-k (from kernel 4.4.59?,) in his 1.03a2, in original dsm 6.1 3615 there was version 4.4.6, my latest extra.lzma for 1.02b (3615 working for you) used 5.3.3

so i might have to replace that too by a newer version with the extra.lzma for 1.03

i remember i had someone with a 10G intel driver last year and used newer source from intel so i will check out intel for the latest version of intel nic drivers

i hoped to get rid of all extra stuff when using kernel 4.4.x but looks like i will have to use external sources from the start (already had to for mpt2sas/mpt3sas) and the number is increasing

Edited by IG-88

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

jun used ixgbe driver version 4.2.1-k (from kernel 4.4.59?,) in his 1.03a2, in original dsm 6.1 3615 there was version 4.4.6, my latest extra.lzma for 1.02b (3615 working for you) used 5.3.3

so i might have to replace that too by a newer version with the extra.lzma for 1.03

I checked and it seems that starting version 5.0.4 support was added for the X553.
Any idea when you will create an extra.lzma for 1.03 loader?
I'm gonna try to compile the latest version of ixgbe myself this weekend, but I'm not sure I'll succeed.

Edited by Infray

I tried it, but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Not getting the serial to work isn't helping either.

I'll try to fix the SOL and that might hopefully point out what's going wrong..

Thanks for the test version though.

• 3 weeks later...