Recommended Posts

So my custom NAS (see signature) is stuck at the Synology migration screen after having applied latest DSM update.

 

No matter if I try to download the PAT file from the Internet or to load it manually I either get error 13 (file is corrupted) or network error (although I can see the migration screen normally from a LAN connection).

 

What Jun's option should I run avoiding to erase all my personal data (I don't care about resetting settings and apps)??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please people I need to have access to my NAS ASAP! :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 минуты назад, Cr4z33 сказал:

Please people I need to have access to my NAS

It seems that vid/pid in grub.cfg doesn't matches with the usb device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It seems that vid/pid in grub.cfg doesn't matches with the usb device.
Then how would the migration web gui load then? ;)

I suppose there's some data corruption going on in the system hard drive...

Anything I can do with Ubuntu Live to scan the disk and fix the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

if you need access now you can install open media vault to a empty disk, boot it an access the dsm drives, omv should be able to use the raid/lvm

 

if you don't care about settings and plugins you can do a migration to different model like 3615 -> 3617, that way the system partition has to be completely rewritten, after that you can leave it or migrate back to 3615, your data should not be affected by this as its still just a migration

also you should use loader 1.02b not the older 1.02a

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@IG-88 thank you very much indeed that (using loader v1.02b for 3617xs) solved the issue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@IG-88I talked too early... those errors are still coming up.

 

I tried formatting the drive, but same result.

 

I finally connected the hard drive to my PC and ran a deep chkdsk sector-by-sector scan and no damaged clusters have been found.

 

Omg what on Earth is going on then? :?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition I've also tried changing USB port and key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cr4z33 said:

. those errors are still coming up.

 

there is more then one? error 13 after updating?

you used 1.02b and DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat all was fine and then ...

you could run a ram check from a bootable linux media, check s.m.a.r.t. of disks

anything in the log?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4.7.2018 at 10:49 AM, Cr4z33 said:

So my custom NAS (see signature) is stuck at the Synology migration screen after having applied latest DSM update.

 

It was DSM 6.2 I guess?

 

Did you change anything within the BIOS? Maybe in the USB settings?

 

What happens if you run the Synology Assistant and try to install via it's GUI?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jensmander said:

 

It was DSM 6.2 I guess?

 

Did you change anything within the BIOS? Maybe in the USB settings?

 

What happens if you run the Synology Assistant and try to install via it's GUI?

Yes it was latest DSM release.

 

I didn't change a thing in the BIOS.

All I know is that the NAS after running (automatically) latest DSM update didn't load properly anymore.

 

Trying to install through the Assistant brings to error 21 (Server error).

 

 

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

 

there is more then one? error 13 after updating?

you used 1.02b and DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat all was fine and then ...

you could run a ram check from a bootable linux media, check s.m.a.r.t. of disks

anything in the log?

Yeah error 13 and another error related to the Network.

 

The disk (I disconnected temporary the RAID disk to sort out the issue) is in mint condition with S.M.A.R.T. test OK and sector-by-sector test 100% OK.

RAM is fine as I could succesfully load and install latest Ubuntu for testing purpose.

 

I wonder actually if I am the only one or not?

I mean couldn't it be that Synology is stopping us from not using their branded boxes? :?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition:

 

I tried installing manually DSM 6.1.7 on a fully wiped clean disk, but then the Assistant gives me an error message telling me that it is MANDATORY to install v6.2-23739 or later (error 10)! :x

 

Pfff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you cant use a new major release of dsm without a new bootloader

1.01 is for dsm 6.0, jun's 1.02 is for dsm 6.1, jun's 1.03 is for dsm 6.2

for now 1.03 is only alpha (testing) release and only for the 918+ (will replace the 916+ from 1.02 i guess)

dsm 6.1 has bootloaders for 3615/3617/916+ whatever you use of this three, if you let dsm do a update to 6.1x to 6.2 it will fail because the bootloader (aka the hack integrated to mage dsm run on normal non synology hardware) does not match, no 1.03 for this versions for now

my assumption was latest dsm = latest dsm 6.1 as it should be common knowledge when using this hacked dsm stuff you can't update to different major version

 

there ist also a announcement area (in you scroll your browser to the top most ares) clearly to see when you use the website
 

DSM 6.2-23739 - WARNING   05/23/2018

This is a MAJOR update of DSM. DO NOT UPDATE TO DSM 6.2 with Jun's loader 1.02b or earlier. Your box will be bricked.  You have been warned.   https://www.synology.com/en-global/releaseNote/DS3615xs

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Cr4z33 said:

tried installing manually DSM 6.1.7 on a fully wiped clean disk, but then the Assistant gives me an error message telling me that it is MANDATORY to install v6.2-23739 or later (error 10)!

 

this will happen if you installed a newer dsm version with this usb flash drive, the update process overwrites the boot (kernel) files and contains the last version installed without downgrade option, replace content with 1.02b original image file (dont forget vid/pid change) and try 6.1.7 again

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

 

this will happen if you installed a newer dsm version with this usb flash drive, the update process overwrites the boot (kernel) files and contains the last version installed without downgrade option, replace content with 1.02b original image file (dont forget vid/pid change) and try 6.1.7 again

Thanks for clearing things out and my apologies for missing that important forum post. :2_grimacing:

 

Gonna reflash the v1.02b image file right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bingo your suggestion was 100% correct and the DSM login page loaded!! :1_grinning:

 

Thank you very much indeed for your precious help!

Edited by Cr4z33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After you install DSM 6.1.7 using 1.02b loader, you may want to change your Control Panel Update & Restore settings.  The following setting will only show you "important and security updates only, while retaining the current version of DSM."    As IG-88 stated, each major release of dsm requires a new bootloader. There is also a setting that will automatically install all DSM and Important updates; this should not be selected using xpenology boot loaders.  I hope this info is helpful.

 

Control Panel Update & Restore  

DSM_Update_Schedule.thumb.JPG.4310f5bdfb827a5b04d53fdb153100aa.JPG

Hide  
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FiberInternetUser said:

After you install DSM 6.1.7 using 1.02b loader, you may want to change your Control Panel Update & Restore settings.  The following setting will only show you "important and security updates only, while retaining the current version of DSM."    As IG-88 stated, each major release of dsm requires a new bootloader. There is also a setting that will automatically install all DSM and Important updates; this should not be selected using xpenology boot loaders.  I hope this info is helpful.

 

Control Panel Update & Restore

DSM_Update_Schedule.thumb.JPG.4310f5bdfb827a5b04d53fdb153100aa.JPG

Hide

Thanks, but I already planned to do it (as in the past there was another issue with Jun's loader). ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well also thanks to @jensmander as he has seen i was on the wrong way by assuming latest version to be the latest 6.1.x

 

2 minutes ago, FiberInternetUser said:

The following setting will only show you "important and security updates only, while retaining the current version of DSM." 

 

i even go further on my system, just as shown plus no internet access for the system (blocked in firewall), updates are only installed manually after checking not to make the system unaccessible (imho bricking is not the right word as all data are still there and can "easily" accessed or recovered - brick would be like its just a peace of dead rock without hope of recovery)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now