XPEnology Community

Hardware Acceleration with Asrock j5005

Joly00

Hello first.

I want to build my own Xpenology NAS, because my old Qnap 469-Pro is gettting really slow (2011...). I found a Video (which has been deleted) on a a Youtube Channel i subscribed about this topic and now im really interested and want to try it my own.

I looked for a cheap but strong Mobo-Cpu-combo and found the Asrock j5005-ITX what would be perfectly. Now my Question:

Is Xpenology even possible with this Mobo-Cpu (i mean, why shouldnt it, right) and if it is possible, what Dsm version should i use? I read something about 918 and 2 other ones and asking my self what fits best for me.

The Server wont be heavily used, i only need it to store some Data, host a Teamspeak Server and sometimes and Minecraft Server for my little Brother and i want to use Emby and with Emby the Hardware Acceleration (Intel QuickSync should be supported by this Mobo-Cpu) have to work. Otherwise i would use Plex, but i dont like Plex that much.

Can someone give me the Download-links that i need to make this working?

Thank You :) 

5 hours ago, Joly00 said:

I looked for a cheap but strong Mobo-Cpu-combo and found the Asrock j5005-ITX what would be perfectly. Now my Question:

Is Xpenology even possible with this Mobo-Cpu (i mean, why shouldnt it, right) and if it is possible, what Dsm version should i use? I read something about 918 and 2 other ones and asking my self what fits best for me.

its goldmond plus / gemini lake, for the alpha bootloader 1.03a2 (918+ only yet) there is no positive feedback for this hardware yet but but i guess at least you will be able to boot and use it without hardware acceleration

same goes for 1.02 (DSM 6.1), if you user the search function you will find one entry that someone used this with 1.02 loader (maybe you ask him by PM?)

if you want to be on the secure side you might consider using apollo lake base hardware and aim for 1.03 (DSM 6.2) with the 918+ image

original Synology CPU in 918+: Celeron J3455 (Apollo Lake)

proven to work with hardware acceleration too: Celeron N3150 (Braswell), Pentium J4205 (Apollo Lake)

8 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

its goldmond plus / gemini lake, for the alpha bootloader 1.03a2 (918+ only yet) there is no positive feedback for this hardware yet but but i guess at least you will be able to boot and use it without hardware acceleration

same goes for 1.02 (DSM 6.1), if you user the search function you will find one entry that someone used this with 1.02 loader (maybe you ask him by PM?)

if you want to be on the secure side you might consider using apollo lake base hardware and aim for 1.03 (DSM 6.2) with the 918+ image

proven to work with hardware acceleration too: Celeron N3150 (Braswell), Pentium J4205 (Apollo Lake)

So, the j5005 will not work? I wrote to a member in this Forum who also used a Gemini Lake based j4105 and his System is working just fine.

13 minutes ago, Joly00 said:

So, the j5005 will not work? I wrote to a member in this Forum who also used a Gemini Lake based j4105 and his System is working just fine.

J4105 has Intel UHD Graphics 600, J5005 hast UHD Graphics 605, same generation just more power (execution units 12 vs. 18)

if J4105 can user hardware acceleration then the J5005 should too be able to use it, but thats just a guess from comparing the specs

https://ark.intel.com/products/128989/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J4105-4M-Cache-up-to-2_50-GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/128984/Intel-Pentium-Silver-J5005-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD,_UHD_and_Iris_Graphics

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/uhd_graphics/600

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/uhd_graphics/605

15 minutes ago, BigBro said:

How to tell whether it works or not? I did not hear about that before.

If you would use Plex or Emby, something to stream Videos, the software can encode these Videos to make the needed Bandwidth smaller, and some Cpus are able to encode these with hardware, what speeds the encoding process up 

26 minutes ago, BigBro said:

How to tell whether it works or not? I did not hear about that before.

if you use a valid serial number for 918+ and videostation then you can check with "top"

Edited by IG-88

1 hour ago, Joly00 said:

If you would use Plex or Emby, something to stream Videos, the software can encode these Videos to make the needed Bandwidth smaller, and some Cpus are able to encode these with hardware, what speeds the encoding process up 

I cannot tell right now since I need to get the valid s/n from my 216 first...

17 hours ago, BigBro said:

I do have a 216+II but not for my recent build. Where to find the s/n in my 216+ii?

usually a sticker on the backside of the system, there should be synology, the modell S/N:, MAC address and maybe "Made in Taiwan"

3 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

usually a sticker on the backside of the system, there should be synology, the modell S/N:, MAC address and maybe "Made in Taiwan"

Thanks 88! Any risk if there are two DSM running with the same s/n but different locations?

@IG-88 I write again to the guy who also uses a Gemini Lake as a base for his Xpenology NAS and he says, that he uses the 916+ firmware but isnt quite sure, if hardware encoding works, because he dont use it in his current NAS. He said, that in earlier versions of his NAS (he used a Xeon at this moment) he was able to use hardware encoding but that needed a /dev/dri, dont know actually what this is, some folder or so.

He also said this:"This might be something that can be addressed with extra.lzma if you ask IG-88, but you'll need to find a dri distribution that clearly offers support for the chip."

What do you say about this?

Edited by Joly00

@IG-88 To understand it fully, i asked him, if Hardware encoding works on his current system by using plex or emby and he wrote this:

"I do not know for sure.  It definitely works for Video Station (using the Synology video license).  My understanding that the Linux device /dev/dri needs to be present and functional for hw encoding to work in either Plex or Emby.  I don't believe that the Synology video license has anything to do with that.

At one point in the past, I had a Xeon V5 (Skylake) with Quicksync and when I booted it on the 916+ image, /dev/dri was enabled.

My current usage of the 916+ image on the ASRock Apollo Lake/Gemini Lake chipsets, I do not see /dev/dri and have not investigated why since I do not need video hw acceleration.  It's possible that the version of the dri driver baked into the 916+ DSM may not support the Apollo Lake/Gemini Lake CPU's for some reason.  This might be something that can be addressed with extra.lzma if you ask IG-88, but you'll need to find a dri distribution that clearly offers support for the chip.

I didn't try this, but you might want to try the alpha 918+/DSM 6.2 install on your J5005 to see if /dev/dri is functioning on that platform.  I don't really recommend it for production yet, but it might help you with planning."

1 hour ago, Joly00 said:

Have u read my last 2 messages?

it was a answer to BigBro's question not to yours

atm i'm more interested in getting the drivers for 918+ done and sum up reports on working / non working 918+ attempts in the developer thread  then answering individual problems with hardware accel. (i'm not using myself, my nas has a C2550 and the backup system is older then this)

i might come back to this when the drivers are running and i have tested them on a skylake desktop hardware (that might support hardware accel.)

there are other people already unsing hardware accel. since 916+, so mayby someone else might way in here

24 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

it was a answer to BigBro's question not to yours

atm i'm more interested in getting the drivers for 918+ done and sum up reports on working / non working 918+ attempts in the developer thread  then answering individual problems with hardware accel. (i'm not using myself, my nas has a C2550 and the backup system is older then this)

i might come back to this when the drivers are running and i have tested them on a skylake desktop hardware (that might support hardware accel.)

there are other people already unsing hardware accel. since 916+, so mayby someone else might way in here

I know, that this wasnt an answer to me, i just wanted an answer and quoted just the last post u made. 

Ofc i understand, that u have other problems atm, but the last two posts i did are maybe helpful. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Polanskiman changed the title to Hardware Acceleration with Asrock j5005
On 6/27/2018 at 2:14 PM, IG-88 said:

just got j3455,  hardware acceleration seems has bug , not working well,

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 1:25 AM, liuhangcheng said:

j4105 should be support hardware acceleration at next dsm version, and j3455 hardware acceleration perfect working now

Hmm, thenn i will wait. Already have the j5005 l, so a bit to late, to switch to an older Cpu. Normally, according to Asrock and to a Review of the Cpu used in Freenas, Intel Quick Sync should work on this Chip pretts well, but i guess, we will see it maybe in the Future.

6 hours ago, Joly00 said:

Hmm, thenn i will wait. Already have the j5005 l, so a bit to late, to switch to an older Cpu. Normally, according to Asrock and to a Review of the Cpu used in Freenas, Intel Quick Sync should work on this Chip pretts well, but i guess, we will see it maybe in the Future.

i got j4105 (same gpu as j5005) work with emby in openmediavault.