XPEnology Community

Tutorial: How to downgrade from 6.2 to 6.1 - Recovering a bricked system

On 4/12/2019 at 2:22 PM, argate7 said:

I have the same problem with yours.

How did you managed to get all your data.

What is my case?

I had two hdds with data. The one was used to contain both the OS and some data. The other was used to contain personal data.

I'm using as suggested a blank hdd.

When i connect the blank and the hdd with personal data, i can see the contents of the hdd data.

When i connect back the hdd with the old OS, i'm getting the recover process and after that the DSM is not working and is not accessible from the lan.

All the hdds you plug on the XPE contain OS data.  The reason why you can't boot up your XPE is that the update operation writed the wrong OS data on the hdds.

13 hours ago, mxmx said:

Can you share what you did to resolve? I'm seeing the same and can't see what I did wrong...

Got it working. The "spare HDD" install needs to be a clean install rather than a migrate.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 4:58 PM, Porkchop said:
  • Once you have your new, reflashed USB stick, unplug ALL drives from the motherboard. Make sure there are NO SATA interfaces connected.
  • Plug in your new, empty hard drive to the motherboard and boot from the USB stick. (You will need a keyboard for this step) The first option in the GRUB interface is what you are looking for. Put this blank hard drive on the first Sata port on your board.
  • Use http://find.synology.com or Synology Web Assistant to find your DSM. Or just scan the network.
  • Follow the steps and install DSM 6.1 from a PAT file. DO NOT INSTALL 6.2   I was installing 6.2.1 and update 6.. So didn't reinstall 6.2.2
    • IF YOU LEFT A DRIVE IN IT WILL SAY RECOVER. GOTO 2. 
  • Let Synology do its thing and eventually you will have a working 6.1.   (6.2.1 for me)
  • While the PC is ON, connect the drives to the motherboard (with you data on it). Under Storage Manager they will pop up and say Unused. In my case, they said 'not initialized'.
  • You might need to reboot, at this option. It took me some fiddling around, but eventually Synology will prompt you with a Recover Crashed Partition prompt. Click Yes. I rebooted and they came online. The system partition needed repairing but all shares and data came back after the reboot..
  • All of your data will appear, and Synology will automatically perform RAID scrubbing.  

Seemed to work - Thanks!! I've added the steps I took (or comments) in red above..

Unfortunately, I'm having to install my apps again - but no biggie. This is a Surveillance station box anyway!  :)

Edited by Hostilian

I followed a similar procedure to get my system back up and running. 

My mobo had 8 SATA ports. I have 8 x 3 TB disks connected (RAID5, BTRFS). I was screwing around with the system and ended up bricking it trying to upgrade to the latest DSM.

The steps I took are:

1. Shut down machine

2. Unplug all HDDs

3. Plug in a single 120GB SSD to sata port 1

4. Basically re-install DSM 6.1.7 (which is what I had before I started), get it to a working state

5. Shut down machine

6. Attach disks to ports 2-8 

7. Boot up machine 

8. The array was detected and online'd, but in a 'degraded' state. It also said it had a crashed system partition on it - which I repaired.

(This is expected, beacuse I only plugged 7 of my 8 disks back in)

9. I hot-unpluged the 120GB SSD from step 3 and plugged in the last HDD - then initiated a RAID repair.

Everything back up & running now but obviously I lost all settings, apps, app customization etc but this is really simple to recover from (just reinstall apps, the data is there already)

Edited by LiamRetrams

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

I am interested in doing a download on my Synology DS918 +, currently in a process of technical assistance with the technical service but not in the solution I need, which is to perform a download of version 6.2.2-24922 to version 6.2.1-23824-6.

The update made, the VideoStation software, the personal library and the system without problem, also the FFmpeg application of the SynoComunity, but apparently, they have decided to shield the system and for me it is now junk if I do not perform the down.

Thank you all for the help in advance

------------------------------------------

Original text in Spanish

Hola a todos,

Estoy interesado en realizar un downgrade a mi Synology DS918+, actualmente estoy en un proceso de asistencia técnica con el servicio técnico pero no me dan la solución que necesito, que es realizar un downgrade de la versión 6.2.2-24922 a la versión 6.2.1-23824-6.

La actualización realizada, me han capado el sistema de VideoStation, en el que tenia mi biblioteca personal y podía reproducir todo el contenido sin ningún problema, gracias también a la aplicación FFmpeg de la SynoCommunity, pero al parecer, han decidido blindar el sistema y para mi ahora es chatarra si no realizo el down.

Gracias a todos por la ayuda de forma anticipada.

Hello @Olegin

My Synology is a DS918 + with 4x10TB WD RED mounted in February 2019, in which at that time was version 6.2.1-23824-6, I as a beginner in the world of NAS, perform step by step what the interface Synology graphic asked me, until I installed it in full, I began to fill it with content of all formats and with all the codecs that they had, without knowing that there were incompatible things.

Once finished, perform the test, which was through a Xiaomi Mi Box S, with the DS Video application, play the content, and I got a fault on the screen indicating that the file could not be played because it was not supported, that it downloaded a third-party player, I loved it, but the use I wanted was to make it much easier.

I started looking for how to use the files with the codecs not supported in the native player of DS Video, and I found FFmpeg, it was installed and it worked perfectly, in all the devices that I wanted to use it.

Here I indicate them:

· Apple MacBook Pro, early 2013 with Firefox browser
· Apple MacBook Air, early 2014 with Firefox browser
· Apple Mac Mini, late 2014 with Firefox browser
· Apple iPhone (XS, 7, 6, 6s Plus) with DS Video application with native player
· Apple iPad 3 with DS Video application with native player
· Apple TV using AirPlay (Not all 4K UHD files worked, it was deleted)
· Samsung Galaxy Tab A with DS Video application with native player
· Samsung UE43KU6400 using the DLNA from the DS Video application of mobiles or tablets
· Samsung UE49KU6640 using the DLNA from the DS Video application of mobiles or tablets
· Samsung Galaxy (S8 +, S10) with DS Video application with native player
· Sony KD-65X8509C using DLNA or Chromecast from the DS Video application of the mobiles or tablets as well as the native application on the DS Video TV for Android TV with native player
· Xiaomi Mi Box S using DLNA or Chromecast from the DS Video application of the mobiles or tablets as well as the native application on the TV DS Video for Android TV with native player
· LG 28MT49S using the DLNA from the DS Video application of mobiles or tablets
· Xiaomi MI MIX 2 with DS Video application with native player
· Huawei MediaPad T1 with DS Video application with native player
· Lenovo ideapad 710s Plus with Firefox browser
· Google Chromecast Video (UHD files did not work, the rest yes)

Everything worked perfectly until the next update, there began to be sudden cuts of the reproductions, messages from unsupported files, application blocks and also the message that appeared previously, and that is when I started to make inquiries finding out what had happened and apparently there a blockage of the FFmpeg application for not being able to use it, it has happened to more people, and that is when I thought of the downgrade.

I would try to update to the latest version, but as I said, I am new to this NAS, I admit that I have entered a bit strong in this world since I have made a big investment to perform this type of tests, but I did not think about No time there would be a blockage of downgrades.

Then once I told my situation, if you could explain the procedure in detail to follow the guidelines I would appreciate it very much, because I have been since I was in contact with the Synology without bringing light to the issue and I with the same problem day after day.

I attach the images that I send to the Synology team checking the errors, observing the characteristics of some files as well as the message that appears in the Xiaomi Mi Box S when it tries to play a file that before if it reproduced without problems without the third party player. I have pixelated part of the images to preserve privacy but I understand that it is not relevant at all.

Thanks for all. Greetings

Original text in Spanish

Hola @Olegin

Mi Synology es un DS918+ con 4x10TB WD RED montado en febrero de 2019, en el que por aquel entonces estaba la versión 6.2.1-23824-6, yo como principiante en el mundo de los NAS, realice paso a paso lo que la interfaz grafica de Synology me pidió, hasta que lo instale al completo, empecé a llenarlo de contenido de todos los formatos y con todos los codecs que llevaban, sin saber que habían cosas no compatibles.

Una vez termine, realice la prueba, que era mediante un Xiaomi Mi Box S, con la aplicación DS Video, reproducir el contenido, y me salió un fallo en pantalla indicando que no se podía reproducir el archivo por que no era soportado, que descargara un reproductor de terceros, yo por mi encantado, pero el uso que quería era que fuese mucho mas fácil.

Me puse a buscar como poder utilizar los archivos con los codecs no soportados en el reproductor nativo de DS Video, y me encontré con FFmpeg, fue instalarlo y funciono perfecto, en todos los dispositivos que quería usarlo.

Aquí los indico:

· Apple MacBook Pro, principios de 2013 con navegador Firefox
· Apple MacBook Air, principios de 2014 con navegador Firefox
· Apple Mac Mini, finales de 2014 con navegador Firefox
· Apple iPhone (XS, 7, 6, 6s Plus) con aplicación DS Video con reproductor nativo
· Apple iPad 3 con aplicación DS Video con reproductor nativo
· Apple TV utilizando AirPlay (No todos los archivos de 4K UHD funcionaban, se elimino)
· Samsung Galaxy Tab A con aplicación DS Video con reproductor nativo
· Samsung UE43KU6400 utilizando el DLNA desde la aplicación DS Video de los móviles o tablets
· Samsung UE49KU6640 utilizando el DLNA desde la aplicación DS Video de los móviles o tablets
· Samsung Galaxy (S8+, S10) con aplicación DS Video con reproductor nativo
· Sony KD-65X8509C utilizando DLNA o Chromecast desde la aplicación DS Video de los móviles o tablets así como la aplicación nativa en el televisor DS Video para Android TV con reproductor nativo
· Xiaomi Mi Box S utilizando DLNA o Chromecast desde la aplicación DS Video de los móviles o tablets así como la aplicación nativa en el televisor DS Video para Android TV con reproductor nativo
· LG 28MT49S utilizando el DLNA desde la aplicación DS Video de los móviles o tablets
· Xiaomi MI MIX 2 con aplicación DS Video con reproductor nativo
· Huawei MediaPad T1 con aplicación DS Video con reproductor nativo
· Lenovo ideapad 710s Plus con navegador Firefox
· Google Chromecast Video (archivos UHD no funcionaban, el resto si)

Todo funciono perfectamente hasta la actualización siguiente, empezaron a haber cortes repentinos de las reproducciones, mensajes de archivos no compatibles, bloqueos de la aplicación y también el mensaje que aparecía anteriormente, y es cuando empecé a realizar consultas averiguando que había pasado y al parecer hay un bloqueo de la aplicación FFmpeg para no poder usarla, le a ocurrido a mas gente, y es cuando pensé en el downgrade.

Probaría a actualizar a la ultima versión, pero como he dicho, soy nuevo en esto del NAS, reconozco que he entrado un poco fuerte en este mundo puesto que he realizado una inversión un poco grande para realizar este tipo de pruebas, pero no pensaba en ningún momento que habría un bloqueo de downgrades.

Entonces una vez contado mi situación, si pudieses explicarme detalladamente el procedimiento para así seguir las pautas lo agradecería muchísimo, por que llevo desde que se actualizo en contacto con los de Synology sin aportar luz al asunto y yo con el mismo problema día tras día.

Adjunto las imágenes que mande al equipo de Synology comprobando los errores, observando las características de unos archivos así como el mensaje que aparece en el Xiaomi Mi Box S cuando intenta reproducir un archivo que antes si lo reproducía sin problemas sin el reproductor de terceros. Pixele parte de las imágenes para preservar la privacidad pero entiendo que no es nada relevante.

Gracias por todo, un saludo

1.png

4.jpg

3.png

2.png

@jocarmar Try these steps, may be some of them or a combination of them will help to solve your problem:

1. Reinstall ffmpeg package

2. Delete and install previos version of Videostation package from here

3. Downgrade to the previos version of the DSM, you can do it with several methods:

- as described in the first post of this topic

- by editing file /etc/VERSION, replacing USB flash drive with loader and  and manualy instatalling previos version of the DSM (*.pat file) from here

- by deleting /etc.default folder, replacing USB flash drive with loader and  and manualy instatalling previos version of the DSM (*.pat file) from here

P.S. I have no problems with the latest DSM version when I playing my videos in Videostation.

Edited by Olegin

@Olegin I have updated the version of the DSM until the last version to check if the problem was solved, it continues to give me problems, so I had to do some of the processes.

Seeing the methods, I do not understand how to follow any of the three types to perform the downgrade ... I do not find the synoboot.img that I need for my DS918 +, the /etc.default folder or the / etc / VERSION file. 😭

I'm sorry I could not understand from the first moment how it was done but I consulted thousands of threads talking about it until I managed to do it through a video that made a down from version 6 to 5.2.

Knowing that the DS918 + can not download as much of version, minimum until version 6.1.3-15152, so by the notions named by @Olegin, the video and a publication that talks about the VERSION file to edit it, I have managed to perform the downgrade to 6.1 .3-15152 and the subsequent update to version 6.2.1-23824-6.

I can show that the system from the next version blocks what the FFmpeg program of the SynoCommunity gets, which is the adaptation of the codecs bypassing the restrictions applied by the brand, because now I have 0 problems, as at the beginning of putting it in progress.

Thank you very much for the attention @Olegin and I hope that with my experience, more affected people can solve their problems.

Original text in Spanish

Siento no haber podido entender desde el primer momento como se realizaba pero he consultado miles de hilos hablando del tema hasta que he conseguido realizarlo mediante un video que realizaba un down de la versión 6 hasta la 5.2.

Sabiendo que el DS918+ no puede bajar tanto de versión, mínimo hasta la versión 6.1.3-15152, así que mediante las nociones nombradas por @Olegin ,el video y a una publicación que habla del archivo VERSION para editarlo, he conseguido realizar el downgrade a 6.1.3-15152 y la posterior actualización a la versión 6.2.1-23824-6.

Puedo demostrar que el sistema a partir de la versión siguiente bloquea lo que el programa FFmpeg de la SynoCommunity consigue, que es la adaptación de los codecs saltándose las restricciones aplicadas por la marca, por que ahora tengo 0 problemas, como al principio de ponerlo en marcha.

Muchas gracias por la atención @Olegin y espero que con mi experiencia, mas gente afectada pueda solucionar sus problemas.

Captura de pantalla 2019-07-14 a las 19.50.03.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:42 PM, XoioX said:

Hello, everybody,

I already posted this in the german forum, but maybe it helps here too.

Unfortunately I also made the mistake to update from 6.2 to 6.2.1 and the system was no longer available. But after some trial and error I found a solution:

I removed every single one of the hard disks of the raid system and connected them to the PC with a USB adapter. There I used the free partitioning tool Minitool Partition Wizzard to run a wipe on the 2.37GB partition (overwriting the partition with zeros). This is the system partition of the DSM.

Caution: You are not allowed to do anything on the other partitions and the installation order of the hard disks must also be observed.

Then I created a new 1.03 Bootloader USB stick and started the system. The Synology Finder found the DSM and didn't show any installation. I then manually installed the DSM_DS3617xs_23739.pat file.

After the first start the old volume was detected error free. All data was still there. Only the packages had to be reinstalled.

I think the solution will work with all versions.

Exceptional solution ! working on v5.x and v6.2x. 0 problems! No multiple boot, no volume corruption to fix. Nothing! Only NAS ready to be installed/upgradable!

Edited by MGPhiber

• 1 month later...

Well, i didn't think it would  work but i used the solution from redmilk

"5.2 Boot Loader - forceinstall - 6.1 Manual Installation - Boot to Jun's Mod 1.02b - 6.1 Migration - Downgrade Completed!"

So i did this :

1) I used first XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5.img to install DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat, no forced install so i did normal one.

2) I change my usb key with one using DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img and DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat.

I used the install/reinstall option.

I go for fresh install because i i try all i can for hours, i though it would be better, i only need my data, no mater syno config for me.

AND YES IT WORKS i go back from bricked DSM 6.2.2-24922 to my previous working DSM 6.1.7-15284.

All my data are safe as same as  my 3 iscsi LUN. I got an xpenology 3615xs with 10x 2 To drives so you can understand how happy i'm.

I really want to tank  redmilk for his tuto and hope it will work for you. It was really fast and easy. Really nice WORKING solution. 

Edited by Seiyalex
  • Like 1

it does not have to be that old 5.2 loader

when you have a 3615, updated to 6.2.2 and want to downgrade its also possible to use loader 1.02b for 3617 and on migrate select the 2nd option to keep only data (loose settings), install "DSM_DS3617xs_15266" and from there you can decide to migrate to 3615 dsm 6.1 or updgrade to 6.2.(0) 3615 or 3617

but that 6.2.2. downgrade is history in a few days

i already have a working extra.lzma for 3615 DSM 6.2.2 that contains all drivers the version for loader 1.02b had, it only needs some documentation and testing

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:42 PM, XoioX said:

Hello, everybody,

I already posted this in the german forum, but maybe it helps here too.

Unfortunately I also made the mistake to update from 6.2 to 6.2.1 and the system was no longer available. But after some trial and error I found a solution:

I removed every single one of the hard disks of the raid system and connected them to the PC with a USB adapter. There I used the free partitioning tool Minitool Partition Wizzard to run a wipe on the 2.37GB partition (overwriting the partition with zeros). This is the system partition of the DSM.

Caution: You are not allowed to do anything on the other partitions and the installation order of the hard disks must also be observed.

Then I created a new 1.03 Bootloader USB stick and started the system. The Synology Finder found the DSM and didn't show any installation. I then manually installed the DSM_DS3617xs_23739.pat file.

After the first start the old volume was detected error free. All data was still there. Only the packages had to be reinstalled.

I think the solution will work with all versions.

I screwed it up with update. I tried this and it worked!! Thanks. Did not take more than 30min and all was back online 😁 Thanks alot!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, bensonlai said:

All the hdds you plug on the XPE contain OS data.  The reason why you can't boot up your XPE is that the update operation writed the wrong OS data on the hdds.

Hello. I have a similar problem.

After trying to update a VM with a Xpenology DS3617xs with usb loader 1.02b to version 6.2, when rebooting it was "dead" and it didn't work, it couldn't access by network to it. 

When restoring a backup of my dsm with version 6.1.7, if it doesn't have the data storage disks working properly, I can configure and change things. But when I attach the data disks and reboot it says I have to restore again and I go into a loop, because when I reboot I lose the network again.

How can I erase the OS files on the data storage disks so that when I go back to 6.1.7 I don't have to restore state?

Or... Can I recover the network with the 6.2 update?

Thank you very much, if you need any clarification about the system or anything else tell me.

Greetings, Hector.

Hello,

thank you for the great tips on how to restore a bricked XPenology. I got inspiration from the tip to use an older USB stick and took it from there without removing the drives. I have a second Synology that has all folders replicated, so I was not afraid of losing data if this would not work.

The situation was as follows:

I was running 5.2 with Nanoboot for a couple of years and decided now to go to 6.x

I created Juns 1.02 Stick and migrated without problem to 6.1.7. All went well.

Then I updated via the GUI to 6.1.7. Update 3 (the feedback on the forum was that it is no problem, just a restart is needed) and from that on the system was working but no GUI and not found in the finder (neither via browser nor Synology app). I restarted several times, the box sent me emails that there was an improper shutdown, the files were accessible via network, the webstation websites were OK, I just could not get into the frontend and find the machine.

The solution was:

1. Reboot with Nanoboot USB stick, option install / upgrade

2. Find the machine in the Synology finder (there it had a DHCP address and state was 6.1.7 15284 migratable - this was the first success...

3.  changed the USB stick to the Jun 1.02 loader and

4. installed a fresh version of 6.1.7-15284.

All went well but after the 10 minutes waiting period it said that it cannot connect to the Synology. It was still in the Synology finder, so

5. I rebooted with Juns USB stick and did another install (again those 100% and 10 minutes waiting and hoping) and then I got to the Synology setup window / name, user etc.

The data is there, but I need to set up all apps and users. Maybe I could have tried the migration instead of new install in steps 4 and 5, but I wanted to clean it up anyway from users, privileges, firewall settings and old apps I did not use.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 7:58 PM, geohector said:

Hello. I have a similar problem.

After trying to update a VM with a Xpenology DS3617xs with usb loader 1.02b to version 6.2, when rebooting it was "dead" and it didn't work, it couldn't access by network to it. 

When restoring a backup of my dsm with version 6.1.7, if it doesn't have the data storage disks working properly, I can configure and change things. But when I attach the data disks and reboot it says I have to restore again and I go into a loop, because when I reboot I lose the network again.

How can I erase the OS files on the data storage disks so that when I go back to 6.1.7 I don't have to restore state?

Or... Can I recover the network with the 6.2 update?

Thank you very much, if you need any clarification about the system or anything else tell me.

Greetings, Hector.

To delete the system information stored on the data hard disks: 

- Mount those disks on linux (with a live-cd or other system).

- From Gparted, or similar, delete the first partition.

- Click again on the data disks in the synology/xpenology you want.

Thanks to Paco2005 who gave me the information in this post (spanish section):

xpenology cascado

Greetings, Hector.

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks,

My N54l on 5.0 needed updating to get Plex app working again so followed Jun's guide via 5.1>5.2>6.1. At the 6.1 step had problems and wasn't able to find the NAS (possibly down to firmware being out of date - since updated) so I began following the instructions on this thread.

I was able to get 6.1 installed with drives 2-5, however plugging in drive 1 I can no longer access the NAS via Synology Assistant.

I found Xoiox instructions about wiping OS partition (on live drive 1). As a test I tried it on the dummy drive 1. Re-inserted it and reinstalled DSM. Worked great.

So was looking to do the same for my actual drive 1 however it only shows up as a single MBR partition (for the full drive size) when attached to my PC.

Any help advice or thoughts on a way forward would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by halistorm

Still plugging away with no success..

Think I was on Raid 1. Trying to recover the data from the first disk using Ubuntu on the NAS, but not able to access mount the drives to access the data. It's the first disk in the image below.

I'm getting to the stage where I may have to look at restoring from a very out of date back-up. Oops lesson learned.

Please spare me the pain.. Again any help really appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

IMG_0636.jpg

Solved.... just posting in case it helps anyone else

I could see that second drive had DSM on and if I remove the first drive it booted successfully, so I thought why not put drive 2 in slot 1 (presumably sata 1) and my failed drive in slot 2. This worked! Don't know how, but after a quick repair and renaming some shared files I'm back to normal but on 6.1.

Still don't understand why DSM only appeared to be on 1 drive based on the above pic... maybe due to me being Raid 1, with each drive being a separate pool.

Whilst I didn't get any responses to my posts, the info shared elsewhere really helped my understanding of what was going on.

Cheers

Andrew

• 3 months later...