XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2-23739 downgrade or possible solution?

Hello.

I just made the mistake of updating to DSM 6.2-23739 and now I can not access xpenology.

I wanted to know if there is any way to recover the data I have on my hard drives, I have vitally important content and if I lost it it would be a tragedy for me ...

Thank you.

i would like to know that to. woke up this mornig and it was updated (reinstalled the server couple of weeks ago, and forgot to change update settings).

My original dayplan was for today, to clean up data and make backup of important data.... .. so yeahh.. crap

1) With Parted Magic you will be able to access your data and back it up.

2) Then, also using Parted Magic, you will be able to erase DSM partition on all HDDs anв re-install DSM from scratch. Ideally it will bring your DSM back, but in case of failure for any reason you will still have a backup

Hey,

just made the same mistake (Baremetal installation).

Got my Synology up and running again with the 1.03a2 loader from jun > Download here <

I'm not happy with the required migration (DS3615xs -> DS918+) but with only 4 disks everything worked out fine for me.

Best regards,

Trakon

Edited by Trakon

19 hours ago, DorianGray said:

1) With Parted Magic you will be able to access your data and back it up.

2) Then, also using Parted Magic, you will be able to erase DSM partition on all HDDs anв re-install DSM from scratch. Ideally it will bring your DSM back, but in case of failure for any reason you will still have a backup

3 of the 4 drivers are in Raid. will this work ?

15 hours ago, Trakon said:

Hey,

Got my Synology up and running again with the 1.03a2 loader from jun > Download here <

I'm not happy with the required migration (DS3615xs -> DS918+) but with only 4 disks everything worked out fine for me.

Best regards,

Trakon

sadly 1.03a2 didn't work for me. today ill order a DS918+ (with 4x4tb)to replace my old setup. Still need to get the data off

DSM 6.1 pat file is not installable Web Assistant requires 6.2... I'think that the solution is to remove ONLY system partition then reinstall DSM 6.1 pat from web assistant... this method can preserve data, not config...but is acceptable for me

But... how to remove System partition in a RAID 5 config with 6 disks? Using Ubuntu Live with mdadm???

hi,

downgrade is still the same as with 6.0/6.1, you mount the system partitions (raid1, partition on every disk) and modify the version file

it should also be possible to empty (format) that mounted raid1 partition

you also need 6.1 usb flash drive (with vid/pid changed propperly)

if you still have xour original version then the dsm version on the usb is the last dsm version-updte you installed

if you use jun's 1.02b release you should keep in mind that it contains the 1st dsm 6.1 version (15047)

the flowing two links give you direction how to mount the raid1 system partition and how to downgrade

btw. it would be good to know what hardware was used on unsuccessful try's (CPU, Network, Storage)

there can be different reasons as to old cpu, missing driver, misc. problems

i did had a strange install experiance too, but got it running after all, it's still alpha (thats befor it's even called beta) so if you don't know much about xpenology and linux better stay off for a while, there is not much you can gain atm with 918+ and dsm 6.2 (maybe people with apollo lake hardware will be eager to try to use hardware acceleration)

i'm about to start a list of 918+ capable hardware and also a driver list and package as jun's extra.lzma is missing a 10G nic driver i'd need for my primary nas

i guess we will start this in the "Developer Discussion Room" section

Edited by IG-88

Hello IG-88,

I've been using an Server HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10, AMD Opteron X3216, 8GB-U 4LFF NHP SATA 200W PS

+ 4xHDD WD Red 4TB, 5400rpm, 64MB cache, SATA III  - RAID 6

+ 1x Solid-State Drive (SSD) Intel 545s Series, 256GB, 2.5"

baremetal installation of DSM 6.1+unwilling update to 6.2 :(

sorry, but for now i will not doing any more then showing the direction, the time i have for xpenology will preferably go into help making jun's loader 1.03x and 918+ as good as possible (like additional drivers to support more hardware)

if you just updated your 3615/3617 installtion its not going to work as long as there is no loader 1.03 for this type, the only test version is for 918+

the nic in you hardware BCM5720 might work, as tg3.ko ist part of jun's 918+ loader and if the storage hardware is ahci then it might work but you cpu is a big "IF" ("if" the cpu is working with 918+ loader/image)

two possible way's back to dsm 6.1 3615/3617 (with the two links i provided above) or forward to 918+ loader

you can try 1.03a2 loader with a separate usb flash drive (vid/pid !!!) and a empty disk on your hardware (to keep normal system untouched)  if 918+ loader comes up and dsm 918+ installs you can used the same usb drive with your "old" disk and cross upgrade to 918+

there are other way's too like installing the old dsm 6.1 on a new usb flash drive and single disk and after booting this adding the older disks (as 2nd, 3rd, ...), that way the system partition of the new drive is copied to the others and after this you remove the added disk and your old disks will have the dsm 6.1, afaik there is not good/complete tutorial for this in the tutorial section but if you search the forum you might find 2 or 3 threads where people did it this way

Hi,

since I install DSM 6.2-23739, my ds3615xs start and shutdown after 30-45 seconds :-(

I have now the same problem with ds3617 and 91x. My motherboard is an Asus P5Q Premium and the proc is a Quadcore Q6???.

bye

Edited by laurent

On 23/6/2018 at 10:20 PM, Trakon said:

Hey,

Best regards,

Trakon

Hi.

There is something that is driving me crazy.

I use xpenology in a virtual machine with vmware.

Additionally I use acronies true image to make incremental backups of the directory where I have the virtual machine and the disk volumes.

Well, I have restored the files to before updating to DSM 6.2 and my box is still bricked .

Does anyone understand it? I am afraid of losing my data, I have information from 15 years ago in them ...

I'm going to install the DSM 6.2 with the 1.03a2 loader that says Trakon, then I'll add the disks to the virtual machine and I hope the files are still there ... I'm scared.

Greetings and thank you .

all options are not working for me wit 1.03 ( vmware or bare metal).

my config - i5 3260, 4 x 4Tb RED WD, 8 - 16 GB RAM.

tried with Intel network cards , not luck. ( all those configurations run great previously on xpen 5.2 - 6.1.7 ), bare metal or ESX

now I m try with ubuntu to recover my data(12 TB, raid 5, ext4)

Found one solution!

After 2 days (Testing all JUNE bootloader and follow all info from here) finally I am happy!

I’m sure that can be some sort of shortcuts but “better safe then sorry”.

My setup

-       4x4TB WD, RAID 5, June 1.02b, 6.1.7 (DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat), bare metal

-       Update to 6.2 – brick.

Step 0

- new 1.03a BL ( on esx/vmware workastion, bare metal) - no joy. ( tested on i5, i7, , network card intel, 3com, broadcom, e1000, e1000e, vmxnet3).  1 day of work+ 1 night

Step1

-       Follow the procedure from synology – download Ubuntu, live CD, assembly raid, backup data( on usb external storage)

Step 2

-       New usb stick with 1.02b – try to boot with it and with only one hdd from raid connected – After boot, not network and stick unusable (tested 2 times) – it looks like DSM6.2 from hdd write something on USB stick ! VERY IMPORTANT- USE FRESH STICK ( with right pid.vid ser/mac)

-       Boot from live CD with paragon software (based on WinPE) with all 4 hdd connected and WIPE ( not delete) first partition on every hdd ( ONLY FIRST ONE from all 4)

Step 3

-       Boot from USB with NO HDD  and after connections on SYNology Assistant ( and ip from DHCP) –first HDD connected. After few seconds I was able to install (using Assistant) 6.1.7 (DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat). Not working with DSM_DS3615xs_15152.pat !!!!! ( error mesaje – “need 15284 or newer”).\

Step 4

-       Same as 3 but installation on hdd no 2 ( only) . Please pay attention – boot from USB WITH NO HDD connected!!  Only after boot and visible on Assistant  the hdd will be connected (I remove only power connector from each hdd)

Step 5, 6 – same , with hdd 3, 4.one at the time. Same name on each installation(4) with same name as original storage and admin password.

Step 7 – shutdown.

Step 8 -  Power on with only one hdd connected, login and check if error message ( danger, volum error, blabla,) pop up. Wait few seconds and connect all remaing drives(3).Another error message ( system partition failure on the new added drive but don’t worry, it’s ok). Reboot !! Login and - Press “repair” on volume/raid windows (Storage Manager) and ..voila! All my data are recovered!! All folder structure, all data, not single byte missing J. DSM 6.1.7

Of course, RAID SCRUBBING will take all night but my NAS it’s up and running!

Settings are not preserved( I’ll do the LDAP settings tomorrow).

Thank you all of great people here !

Sorry for the brief tutorial but I need to sleep after 2 nights.

PS I have ex4 but I'm pretty sure that will work on btrfs as well

Hello world :)

I found a second solution....

Downgrade to 6.1.7_15284... I tried several (many many several...) combinations between Jun's loaders and .pat files, had no luck with 1.03a2+DSM 6.2... but during installs and many tries I noticed that at some point I got IP address (check your router DHCP clients).

If you try to connect with new_IP:5000 you will find migration/reinstall menu.

Download and reinstall loader corresponding .pat file BUT after you got the information about formatting system partition the assistant upload new system files into the server. At this point I removed the server power cord, forced it to make a clean install.

All data is intact without loosing any file....

So... make a new USB stick like you will install for the first time xpenology, follow this tutorial:

Download your corresponding .pat file : https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/

When you get transmitting new files to DiskStation (after formatting the system partition) unplug the system from the power source, in this way new software is not transmitted to DiskStation and it is forced to re-install 6.1.7 version.

My system:

Server HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10, AMD Opteron X3216, 8GB-U 4LFF NHP SATA 200W PS

+ 4xHDD WD Red 4TB, 5400rpm, 64MB cache, SATA III  - RAID 6

+ 1x Solid-State Drive (SSD) Intel 545s Series, 256GB, 2.5"

Xpenology 6.1.7 (Jun's loader 1.02b) before updated to 6.2 that bricked the server

I did not backed up server configuration so I have to reinstall and make all the settings again, but the RAID 6 (btrfs) and all files are intact.

Please keep in mind that this solution worked for me and for my system... I'm not responsible if you apply this solution and loose your data...

2.jpg

format.jpg

Edited by myllenyum

Hello foxbat,

I cannot discover the DiskStation with the help of Synology Assistant, BUT if I tried to direct access the station (IP:5000) worked.

I tried to install ubuntu live but without luck ( got sucked at some point) and after that I tried with 1.03a2 loader + 6.2 (DS918+ pat file) and 1.02b + 6.1.7 (DS3617xs pat files).

With one combination I got IP address ( please check your router not Syn Assistant).

At the first attempt I had 6.2 on my HDD but after many tries I do not know for sure what was the information on the HDD...

IF you have 6.2 on the HDD you can start with 1.03a2 loader first... in order to get an IP address.

Edited by myllenyum
  • Like 1

On 24.6.2018 at 11:46 PM, IG-88 said:

there are other way's too like installing the old dsm 6.1 on a new usb flash drive and single disk and after booting this adding the older disks (as 2nd, 3rd, ...), that way the system partition of the new drive is copied to the others and after this you remove the added disk and your old disks will have the dsm 6.1, afaik there is not good/complete tutorial for this in the tutorial section but if you search the forum you might find 2 or 3 threads where people did it this way

I just did it exactly this way when I lost my connection after accidentely updating to 6.2. Link (in German)
Unfortunately I didn't find any instruction before when I was searching for; may be I have used the wrong search words.

I can confirm:

Rescue Installation to downgrade from 6.2 -> 6.1 with/for Data restore is working

- Raid/Volume/Folder/Files all back

- booting now again latest DSM 6.1

But:

- needs complete new DSM configuration - at least if no configuration backup available.

And even with config Backup:

- All Apps are gone as well and need to be reinstalled and configured.

Fortunately I had no database installed yet. No idea what would happen to e.g. nextcloud setup and whether this could be recovered... 

[edit]

...and right now I found a description from user apelders which does describe the steps, from last year :62_dizzy_face: I really should have done my search better!

Recover a bricked system after DSM 6.1.1 upgrade accident

Add some Links to JunLoader and the DSM image and you have your tutorial :91_thumbsup:

Edited by tom4ky