XPEnology Community

hardware failure, possible move to synology

kiwimonkey

Question

Long story short, had to file an insurance claim for the apartment I live in. Included in that is xpenology box that I built about 2 years ago. I don't think that I ever upgraded the DSM in it and the only thing that it's doing is hosting some shared folders and plex w/ a very large collection. It has 5 x 8TB drives in it. For whatever reason, it's no longer working (lightning, gremlins, ghosts, take your pick). 

Anyway, because of the insurance claim, I'm thinking of moving to a synology box. I'm almost 100% sure the HDDs are not damaged, and assuming that they aren't, is it possible to put them in and continue on w/o problems, in a synology box? I think mine is based off the DS3615xs (which i think is end of life??). I was looking at either the replacement of the 3615, the DS3617xs OR the DS1817+.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? I'm not opposed with either. 

3 answers to this question

Normally it should work. DSM will be reinstalled on all the HDDs partitions once you move them on the real Synology box and since it will be a different model (3615 > 3617/1817+) all settings will be reset to default but your data should in principal remain intact because they are on a different partition.

Thank you for the reply. If I could ask, how would the partitions work? Would the new model want to "reinstall" dsm into wherever it's installed to now? I guess my biggest concern was the xpenology box was based off a 12-bay and i'm looking at moving everything into an 8-bay (granted only 5 of the bays were used). 

Also trying to decide which device to go with. Insurance will cover the cost of the 1817+ and the cost of adding a couple more drives to it. OR I can add some of my money to the payout and get the upgraded 3617 (but then I'd have no money left over for extra drives). Future use, the 1817+ looks cheaper to expand.

Suggestions?

Each disk has a small partition on it on which is loaded DSM. This means it can boot from any disk in case of failure. The rest of the each disk is partitioned for data.
I would expect that when you insert your drives into the new hardware and boot it, it would come up with a migration. This would install the current DSM for that model (onto that small partition x5) and then update all your packages to their latest version.Some of your existing settings may survive this process. Some might not.

Your data will be fine.

I also expect that you can put 5 disks from a 12 bay into an 8 bay. But why don't you ask on the Synology forum. Obviously you say you have real DS3615 :-)