XPEnology Community

Need hardware advice for xpenology with plex

speatzle_

Hi,

Im looking for a nas setup as cheap as possible i dont need a case or drives (got those coverd).

What i need is motherboard, cpu and ram which can run xpenology with plex (i need 2 transcoded streams)

Bonus woud be to run proxmox.

If possible i'd like to get this stuff from ebay (best case woud be ebay germany).

thx 4 reading.

-Sammy

Edit:

Putting a steam libary on it shoudent be a problem right? i have a ssd here i coud use as a cache but is that even posible?

Edited by speatzle_

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Le 15/06/2018 à 02:25, x01015918 a dit :

I expect ApolloLake to work fine with the new 6.2 since 918 uses the same arhitecture. 

GA-J3355N-D2P

GA-J3455N-D3H

Asrock 3355B-ITX

Asrock J3455B-ITX

Asrock J3455-ITX

Asrock J4205-ITX

HI,

Network chipset natively recognized ?

On 6/23/2018 at 1:45 PM, stefauresi said:

Network chipset natively recognized ?

depends on the nic, in most cases its a cheap realtek and jun provided r8168/r8169 drivers, so its likely to work

On 6/23/2018 at 8:35 PM, x01015918 said:

everything works with the current  6.2 alpha image, network, hw transcoding, etc

no, thats not the entirely correct, may be your nic did work but jun's extra.lzma does not contain "all" network drivers we used before on 6.0 and 6.1

there are intel drivers present (e1000, e1000e, igb, ixgbe) but my Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter did came up on 1st booting 1.03a2, but after installing dsm and rebooting i lost the connection and had to use a different hardware to finish the installation - so my experience was a little flawed

also there are firmware files missing for bnx2 driver (like with loader 1.02x the mips *.fw files are missing)

we would need more effort in documenting what hardware is ootb working with 1.03a2 (cpu amd drivers) and also start a driver list/package like we have for 6.0/6.1

its still to early to say "everything works", i would not rush people into using that early version, there might even be hidden bugs that come up on first dsm update (we had this last year, when after updating dsm support for all additional drivers from extra.lzma where lost on some systems)

Le 23/06/2018 à 20:35, x01015918 a dit :

everything works with the current  6.2 alpha image, network, hw transcoding, etc

Il y a 21 heures, IG-88 a dit :

depends on the nic, in most cases its a cheap realtek and jun provided r8168/r8169 drivers, so its likely to work

no, thats not the entirely correct, may be your nic did work but jun's extra.lzma does not contain "all" network drivers we used before on 6.0 and 6.1

there are intel drivers present (e1000, e1000e, igb, ixgbe) but my Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter did came up on 1st booting 1.03a2, but after installing dsm and rebooting i lost the connection and had to use a different hardware to finish the installation - so my experience was a little flawed

also there are firmware files missing for bnx2 driver (like with loader 1.02x the mips *.fw files are missing)

we would need more effort in documenting what hardware is ootb working with 1.03a2 (cpu amd drivers) and also start a driver list/package like we have for 6.0/6.1

its still to early to say "everything works", i would not rush people into using that early version, there might even be hidden bugs that come up on first dsm update (we had this last year, when after updating dsm support for all additional drivers from extra.lzma where lost on some systems)

Hi

The network on asrock j3455 itx is not really recognized ...... chipset is Realtek RTL8111GR ........ (install ok, but after reboot , i have migrate only and network is very slow)

4 hours ago, stefauresi said:

Hi

The network on asrock j3455 itx is not really recognized ...... chipset is Realtek RTL8111GR ........ (install ok, but after reboot , i have migrate only and network is very slow)

jun driver is 8.0.44, the latest realtek is offering is 8.0.45 so its pretty close to latest

when i'm doing a extra.lzma we can try the latest from realtek and also the build in driver from the kernel, in the meantime you can try a different/better cable

not sure why the realtek chips give so diffrent performance, i have a pcie card with realtek for testing and that one is working good, 112MB/s with large files

Le 23/06/2018 à 20:35, x01015918 a dit :

Hi,

I tried DSM6.2 DS918+

The HW Transcoding does not ok on my J3455 , S/N & Mac ok , activation.conf ok

But transcoding does not start, without error message (in SSH)
With Plex it's the same, black screen , if i try transcode with VideoStation i get  1-1-1-1 in counter  

I do not understand.

Edited by stefauresi

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 12:25 PM, stefauresi said:

Hi,

I tried DSM6.2 DS918+

The HW Transcoding does not ok on my J3455 , S/N & Mac ok , activation.conf ok 

But transcoding does not start, without error message (in SSH)
With Plex it's the same, black screen , if i try transcode with VideoStation i get  1-1-1-1 in counter   

I do not understand.

for plex you need to force the transcoding by disabling the direct play in player options.