XPEnology Community

Progress of 6.2 loader

jun
Message added by Polanskiman

Let me get things straighten up here before this thread starts going sideways. This is the developper discussion room. Not a newbie forum to start asking for guides and whatnot. @jun hasn't even said anything about the loader he has uploaded to his repository. So I would advise self control. Also, to those in panic mode trying to make things work desperately please use your personal jugement and experience. If you want to have a positive contribution to this thread then please do so by posting about possible bugs or things that don't work (beyond the "no network" boring posts of course). I am talking about serious bugs or the such. All other requests will from now on be deleted or moved if appropriate. I have no time to babysit anymore. Use the forum subsections.

17 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

hmm first release of DS918 - was that 1.03a (not 1.03a2)? Any chance you still have a copy of it?

i've got the exact same motherboard and 1.03a2 918+ is painfully slow, running it on DSM 6.2 using loader v1.03b (3615) is super quick with not one issue.

Alas, my copy is 1.03a2.

BTW a thanks to you for suggesting the removal of all the peripherals (keyboard etc) in order to get the boot to complete successfully.

I have not put any serious effort into playing with the J3455 system due to performance being sub par and rebuilding bricked system.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:08 AM, hoidoi said:

Hej Enzo,

i only tried the 3615xs. I will use 3617xs later this evening. Thanks for the hint!

Folks! On HP Microserver Gen10 UEFI doesn't work. You must use CSM for Loader 1.03b on DS3617xs. 

Le 01/07/2018 à 22:58, IG-88 a dit :

the nic might be a problem in barematal as jun does no provide all firmware files in his extra.lzma but in vm it not relevant, if you use vmxnet then there is a driver in juns extra.lzma

the processor might be the problem if it E5520 or simmilar the its Nehalem EP Q1/2009 and thats way older then the 4th gen intel core desktop cpu we have found as working min, yet (see my list on page 5), so not likely to work (on the other hand no gain with 918+ image, dsm 6.1 works stable so why using 6.2, nothing to win a lot to loose)

My CPU is Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5550 @ 2.67GHz

I have not yet read all post between my post and today...

Julien

On 7/14/2018 at 9:30 PM, ideasman69 said:

I picked up an Asrock J3455B-ITX motherboard and performed a bunch of tests. Here's what I've found:

• When a screen is plugged in (i was using VGA), the system was very unstable - rebooting every 5-10mins. Disconnecting VGA cable and USB keyboard helped. Used serial cable to monitor boot progress.
  • Hardware transcoding worked in both Plex and Video station. I had 3 hardware transcoded streams (1 x video station, 2 x plex) running simultaneously without any problems. However - after a some time, hardware transcoding wouldn't work from either app until the system was restarted. 
    • transcode.thumb.png.23cdf255437cb4cbd07f262d70f5eb73.png
  • When using the 2 onboard SATA ports only, the kernel would panic and reference something about activating the AHCI_LED. Adding in a 2 port AHCI SATA card seemed to get around it (although i need to do this anyway as 2 ports isn't enough!)
  • Booting is pretty slow compared to 1.02b. Seems to hang at "Post init" for some time. Maybe due to the following "failed to send sync event, type resync, finish 0, interrupt 0?"
  • Network speeds are pretty disappointing too.
    • File transfer to my existing NAS (4 drive SHR array / jun loader 1.02b / DSM 6.1.7):
    • nas.png.574c1d8f7083beedff0c3e61e6d909ae.png
    • Whereas to the new "test" nas (4 drive RAID 0 array / jun loader 1.03b / DSM 6.2):
    • nas_test.png.4177e5bb58c6e9c17a16905b307c72fa.png

So for me to get a working system i need to:

• Install a 2 port PCI-e SATA controller to get around the AHCI_LED panic
  • Switch to CSM/BIOS boot mode. Otherwise the boot process doesn't always pickup the SATA controller
  • Ensure no VGA cable plugged in
  • Ensure boot USB stick is in USB2 port (only 1 on the back, the rest are USB3)

Need to investigate the transcoding issue and try speed up the network as it's terrible :(

Same to you.

there will be many transcoding process has been marked "D" by using console(ps aux | grep vavpi) command to show.

then the hw-transcoding function can not be useful before next roboot.

the hw-transcoding function only be use once or twice usually.

so confused.

22 hours ago, refrain said:

Same to you.

there will be many transcoding process has been marked "D" by using console(ps aux | grep vavpi) command to show.

then the hw-transcoding function can not be useful before next roboot.

the hw-transcoding function only be use once or twice usually.

so confused.

You guys should look over your bios settings, I have a j3455M with two extra ahci cards, two ports per a card(using 5 of the 6 ports) and I do not have of these issues. 

Bios (1.80 spectre/meltdown)

CPU config:  

Intel SpeedStep = disabled - No driver (Slows and crashes system)

CPU C States = disabled 

intel vt-d = enabled

PowerGear = Sport (Buttery smooth Plex)

Chipset Configuration:

Adjust your memory speed and voltage, don't leave it on auto.

Share Memory = 64

Onboard HD Audio = Disabled

ACPI Configuration:

Suspend to RAM = disabled

RTC Alarm Power On = disabled (DSM can't read RTC Clock so doubt this would work, best to disable for now)

USB Configuration:

Legacy USB Support = UEFI only

Trusted Computing:

Disable all

Security Screen:

Secure Boot = Disabled

Intel(R) Platform Trust Technology = Disabled

Boot Screen:

CSM (Compatibility Support Module) = Disabled

Some additional notes. 

Goto /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

support_led_brightness_adjustment="no"  that should fix your ahci_led stuff

support_fan="no"

support_spectre_meltdown_mitigation="yes" (Check bottom) if your on bios 1.80(j3455m) or which ever version that fixes the spectre/meldown for the j3455*-itx model 

Plex does hw transcoding every time I use it, never had to reboot it, do you guys have plex pass?

• Like 1

1 час назад, modboxx сказал:

Ви, хлопці, повинні переглянути налаштування BIOS, у мене є j3455M з двома додатковими картками ahci, двома портами на карту (використовуючи 5 з 6 портів), і у мене немає таких проблем. 

Біос (привид / криза 1,80)

Конфігурація ЦП:  

Intel SpeedStep = вимкнено - немає драйвера (система уповільнює і збої)

ЦП = держави = вимкнено 

intel vt-d = включено

PowerGear = Спорт (Buttery гладкий Plex)

Конфігурація чіпсета:

Відрегулюйте швидкість і напругу пам'яті, не залишайте її автоматично.

Поділитися пам'яттю = 64

Бортовий HD Audio = Вимкнено

Конфігурація ACPI:

Призупинити до оперативної пам'яті = вимкнено

RTC Сигналізація Увімкнено = вимкнено (DSM не може читати RTC Clock, так що сумніви в тому, що це буде працювати, найкраще відключити на даний момент)

Конфігурація USB:

Спадкова підтримка USB = тільки UEFI

Надійні обчислення:

Відключити все

Екран безпеки:

Безпечне завантаження = вимкнено

Intel (R) Platform Trust Technology = Вимкнено

Екран завантаження:

CSM (модуль підтримки сумісності) = вимкнено

Деякі додаткові нотатки. 

Перейти до /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

support_led_brightness_adjustment = "ні", який повинен виправити ваш матеріал ahci_led

support_fan = "ні"

support_spectre_meltdown_mitigation = "так" (перевірити знизу), якщо ваш на BIOS 1,80 (j3455m) або коли-небудь версія, яка виправляє пристрій / meldown для моделі j3455 * -itx 

Plex робить перекодування кожен раз, коли я використовую його, ніколи не довелося перезавантажувати його, ви, хлопці, маєте прохід плекс?

A videotation there also works transcoding in you

On 8/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, modboxx said:

You guys should look over your bios settings, I have a j3455M with two extra ahci cards, two ports per a card(using 5 of the 6 ports) and I do not have of these issues. 

Bios (1.80 spectre/meltdown)

CPU config:  

Intel SpeedStep = disabled - No driver (Slows and crashes system)

CPU C States = disabled 

intel vt-d = enabled

PowerGear = Sport (Buttery smooth Plex)

Chipset Configuration:

Adjust your memory speed and voltage, don't leave it on auto.

Share Memory = 64

Onboard HD Audio = Disabled

ACPI Configuration:

Suspend to RAM = disabled

RTC Alarm Power On = disabled (DSM can't read RTC Clock so doubt this would work, best to disable for now)

USB Configuration:

Legacy USB Support = UEFI only

Trusted Computing:

Disable all

Security Screen:

Secure Boot = Disabled

Intel(R) Platform Trust Technology = Disabled

Boot Screen:

CSM (Compatibility Support Module) = Disabled

Some additional notes. 

Goto /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

support_led_brightness_adjustment="no"  that should fix your ahci_led stuff

support_fan="no"

support_spectre_meltdown_mitigation="yes" (Check bottom) if your on bios 1.80(j3455m) or which ever version that fixes the spectre/meldown for the j3455*-itx model 

Plex does hw transcoding every time I use it, never had to reboot it, do you guys have plex pass?

thank you for reply~

the hw-transcode function only can use once for me each reboot.

the first time play movie by using hw-transcode will fine.

the next time the movie has been forzen and can not play.

then i use putty to ssh the DSM machine, then i can find the play process has marked "D" like below:

root     20186  0.0  0.2  82864  9584 ?        D    22:22   0:00 /var/packages/VideoStation/target/bin/ffmpeg -ss 0.000 -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -hwaccel vaapi -hwaccel_output_format vaapi -noautorotate -i /volume1/video/AAAA/Just Dance 2018 - Dj Got Us Fallin' In Love Again (Full Fanmade Fitted Gameplay).mp4 -vcodec h264_vaapi -vf format=nv12|vaapi,hwupload,setsar=sar=1,scale_vaapi=w=1280:h=720 -vsync 2 -bf 0 -vb 1000000 -acodec copy -f ssegment -segment_format mpegts -segment_list_type m3u8 -hls_seek_time 0 -segment_time 5 -segment_time_delta 0.000 -segment_start_number 00000 -avoid_negative_ts 0 -break_non_keyframes 1 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 /tmp/VideoStation/HLS/f1d75a150b0ddc68412cdf9d2f5a5c17_bL9Apy9s/slice-%05d.ts

root     18421  0.0  0.2  82864  9356 ?        D    22:20   0:00 /var/packages/VideoStation/target/bin/ffmpeg -ss 0.000 -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -hwaccel vaapi -hwaccel_output_format vaapi -noautorotate -i /volume1/video/AAAA/Just Dance 2018 - Dj Got Us Fallin' In Love Again (Full Fanmade Fitted Gameplay).mp4 -vcodec h264_vaapi -vf format=nv12|vaapi,hwupload,setsar=sar=1,scale_vaapi=w=848:h=464 -vsync 2 -bf 0 -vb 500000 -acodec copy -f ssegment -segment_format mpegts -segment_list_type m3u8 -hls_seek_time 0 -segment_time 5 -segment_time_delta 0.000 -segment_start_number 00000 -avoid_negative_ts 0 -break_non_keyframes 1 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 /tmp/VideoStation/HLS/f1d75a150b0ddc68412cdf9d2f5a5c17_z3b6NxWg/slice-%05d.ts

each play time will do this action again then more and more process has been locked. (can not be killed)

i have the plex pass and i have try these apps(Video Station/ EMBY / Plex) and all the same problem has found.

i have change the bios setting like you except CSM setting because i made the loader-img burn to SSD disk. when i disable the CSM that the system can not be started normally.

Edited by Polanskiman
Added code tags

On 8/14/2018 at 9:46 PM, refrain said:

thank you for reply~

the hw-transcode function only can use once for me each reboot.

the first time play movie by using hw-transcode will fine.

the next time the movie has been forzen and can not play.

then i use putty to ssh the DSM machine, then i can find the play process has marked "D" like below:

root     20186  0.0  0.2  82864  9584 ?        D    22:22   0:00 /var/packages/VideoStation/target/bin/ffmpeg -ss 0.000 -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -hwaccel vaapi -hwaccel_output_format vaapi -noautorotate -i /volume1/video/AAAA/Just Dance 2018 - Dj Got Us Fallin' In Love Again (Full Fanmade Fitted Gameplay).mp4 -vcodec h264_vaapi -vf format=nv12|vaapi,hwupload,setsar=sar=1,scale_vaapi=w=1280:h=720 -vsync 2 -bf 0 -vb 1000000 -acodec copy -f ssegment -segment_format mpegts -segment_list_type m3u8 -hls_seek_time 0 -segment_time 5 -segment_time_delta 0.000 -segment_start_number 00000 -avoid_negative_ts 0 -break_non_keyframes 1 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 /tmp/VideoStation/HLS/f1d75a150b0ddc68412cdf9d2f5a5c17_bL9Apy9s/slice-%05d.ts

root     18421  0.0  0.2  82864  9356 ?        D    22:20   0:00 /var/packages/VideoStation/target/bin/ffmpeg -ss 0.000 -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -hwaccel vaapi -hwaccel_output_format vaapi -noautorotate -i /volume1/video/AAAA/Just Dance 2018 - Dj Got Us Fallin' In Love Again (Full Fanmade Fitted Gameplay).mp4 -vcodec h264_vaapi -vf format=nv12|vaapi,hwupload,setsar=sar=1,scale_vaapi=w=848:h=464 -vsync 2 -bf 0 -vb 500000 -acodec copy -f ssegment -segment_format mpegts -segment_list_type m3u8 -hls_seek_time 0 -segment_time 5 -segment_time_delta 0.000 -segment_start_number 00000 -avoid_negative_ts 0 -break_non_keyframes 1 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 /tmp/VideoStation/HLS/f1d75a150b0ddc68412cdf9d2f5a5c17_z3b6NxWg/slice-%05d.ts

each play time will do this action again then more and more process has been locked. (can not be killed)

i have the plex pass and i have try these apps(Video Station/ EMBY / Plex) and all the same problem has found.

i have change the bios setting like you except CSM setting because i made the loader-img burn to SSD disk. when i disable the CSM that the system can not be started normally.

I just checked with Plex and it goes from Dl to Rl to Sl.  Ending the movie exit the process.

plex     14761 22.4  0.4 498520 67548 ?        Dl 
plex     14761 23.8  0.4 496448 67684 ?        Rl 
plex     14761 25.0  0.4 500148 68400 ?        Sl

Maybe I'm missing something?  but with Plex what i see is that it encodes up to the 60 seconds (Throttle buffer) during this it's in Rl state, once it completes that chunk? the process briefly enters into the Dl state until it's able to send the client those packets? afterwards it goes into the sl state  and exits. Then a new process repeats this.

Edited by Polanskiman
Added code tags

On 8/14/2018 at 10:24 PM, modboxx said:

Я просто перевірив Plex, і він йде від Dl до Rl до Sl. Завершення фільму завершиться.

плекс 14761 22,4 0,4 498520 67548? Dl 
плекс 14761 23,8 0,4 496448 67684? R1 
Рекс 14761 25,0 0,4 500148 68400? Сл

You can check whether the VideoStation does the transcoding

Edited by Polanskiman
Added code tags

On 8/14/2018 at 10:24 PM, modboxx said:

I just checked with Plex and it goes from Dl to Rl to Sl.  Ending the movie exit the process.

plex     14761 22.4  0.4 498520 67548 ?        Dl 
plex     14761 23.8  0.4 496448 67684 ?        Rl 
plex     14761 25.0  0.4 500148 68400 ?        Sl

Maybe I'm missing something?  but with Plex what i see is that it encodes up to the 60 seconds (Throttle buffer) during this it's in Rl state, once it completes that chunk? the process briefly enters into the Dl state until it's able to send the client those packets? afterwards it goes into the sl state  and exits. Then a new process repeats this.

DI RI process was correct by hw-transcode function.

my process has marked been "D" means  (Uninterruptible sleep) , almost waitting for the resources like HDD,CPU and etc.

so my processes was running incorrectly that why i can not do hardware transcoding action.

Edited by Polanskiman
Added code tag

9 minutes ago, refrain said:

DI RI process was correct by hw-transcode function.

my process has marked been "D" means  (Uninterruptible sleep) , almost waitting for the resources like HDD,CPU and etc.

so my processes was running incorrectly that why i can not do hardware transcoding action.

"D" uninterruptible sleep (usually IO) + "l" is multi-threaded (using CLONE_THREAD, like NPTL pthreads do)

What exactly is your issue?

11 minutes ago, modboxx said:

"D" uninterruptible sleep (usually IO) + "l" is multi-threaded (using CLONE_THREAD, like NPTL pthreads do)

What exactly is your issue?

i dont know. so i can only play the movie by using software transcoding by CPU resources.

if my HDD or CPU resource has I/O problem, the software transcode function can not be running correctly.

so i am confused.

3 minutes ago, refrain said:

i dont know. so i can only play the movie by using software transcoding by CPU resources.

if my HDD or CPU resource has I/O problem, the software transcode function can not be running correctly.

so i am confused.

No no I'm sorry that was just a copy and paste of the definitions of D and L forget those.  

Explain what exactly happens when you play a movie in Plex with HW transcoding on? forget what you see in process just tell me what actually happens on the client or server?  Does it crash or just says no?

18 minutes ago, modboxx said:

No no I'm sorry that was just a copy and paste of the definitions of D and L forget those.  

Explain what exactly happens when you play a movie in Plex with HW transcoding on? forget what you see in process just tell me what actually happens on the client or server?  Does it crash or just says no?

i play the movie by using the web browser like chrome.

just i open the movie that play well as default codec(source codec)

then i have forced to change the codec level like 720p-3m to 480p-1m

the movie has been frozen that waitting for contiune to play ,  display a buffer logo like a ring

just waitting and waitting and no ending.

however, when i have change back the codec level to the default source codec, the movie has been played very well.

the server side and client side has not any crash or auto-close.

ps/

i can only play the MP4/MKV(H264) movie as well by default codec

some type like AVI(mpeg4)/RMVB/RM all can not be played as default codec when enable hw-transcode function .

i think that files need to transcoding by default.

Edited by refrain

• 2 weeks later...

Jun has released his loader in the "Loader Releases & Extras" forum. See here: 

Any comment or question on the loader will need to be done over there from now on.

Only post here on technical and development issues related to DS918+. Any other questions will be moved or deleted according.

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2018 at 12:44 PM, IG-88 said:

i've re-copied the original apollolake config  and recompliled mvsas and libsas with CONFIG_SCSI_SAS_ATA=Y

try this 0.5_test version

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=01077994252925895830

Hello again IG-88,

This has been working fine for me with four disks attached to the first mini-SAS port on the controller, however, when I add a disk to the second mini-SAS port it seems to occupy the same HDD slot in DSM as one of the four on the first port. i.e. DSM can't see all 8 ports as individual drives.

My card is a Highpoint 2722 SGL with 2x internal mini-SAS ports for a maximum of 8 SATA ports.

looking in my logs, I see the following:

[   10.448356] scsi host4: mvsas
[   10.449301] sas: phy-4:4 added to port-4:0, phy_mask:0x1 ( 400000000000000)
[   10.449326] sas: phy-4:5 added to port-4:1, phy_mask:0x2 ( 500000000000000)
[   10.449345] sas: phy-4:6 added to port-4:2, phy_mask:0x4 ( 600000000000000)
[   10.449366] sas: phy-4:7 added to port-4:3, phy_mask:0x8 ( 700000000000000)
[   10.449382] sas: DOING DISCOVERY on port 0, pid:49
[   10.449384] sas: DONE DISCOVERY on port 0, pid:49, result:0
[   10.449386] sas: DOING DISCOVERY on port 1, pid:49
[   10.449387] sas: DONE DISCOVERY on port 1, pid:49, result:0
[   10.449393] sas: DOING DISCOVERY on port 2, pid:49
[   10.449394] sas: DONE DISCOVERY on port 2, pid:49, result:0
[   10.449399] sas: DOING DISCOVERY on port 3, pid:49
[   10.449400] sas: DONE DISCOVERY on port 3, pid:49, result:0
[   10.449414] sas: Enter sas_scsi_recover_host busy: 0 failed: 0
[   10.449750] sas: ata0: end_device-4:0: dev error handler

I don't fully understand this, but does it mean ports 4-7 are being remapped to ports 0-3 thereby causing the problem I've outlined above?

Is there a way to make DSM able to see all 8 drives?

• 2 weeks later...