XPEnology Community

Progress of 6.2 loader

jun
Message added by Polanskiman

Let me get things straighten up here before this thread starts going sideways. This is the developper discussion room. Not a newbie forum to start asking for guides and whatnot. @jun hasn't even said anything about the loader he has uploaded to his repository. So I would advise self control. Also, to those in panic mode trying to make things work desperately please use your personal jugement and experience. If you want to have a positive contribution to this thread then please do so by posting about possible bugs or things that don't work (beyond the "no network" boring posts of course). I am talking about serious bugs or the such. All other requests will from now on be deleted or moved if appropriate. I have no time to babysit anymore. Use the forum subsections.

9 minutes ago, autohintbot said:

Change the firmware in advanced options tab from EFI to BIOS.

Thanks for the hint. I have always been in BIOS and not UEFI mode.

I still get the Server Error 38 (no disk found) although I have two SATA Disks defined.

2 minutes ago, knopserl said:

Thanks for the hint. I have always been in BIOS and not UEFI mode.

I still get the Server Error 38 (no disk found) although I have two SATA Disks defined.

Keep the synoboot.img drive as SATA, but try adding the drives you'd like to use as SCSI (set the SCSI controller to LSI Logic Parallel).

1 hour ago, autohintbot said:

Keep the synoboot.img drive as SATA, but try adding the drives you'd like to use as SCSI (set the SCSI controller to LSI Logic Parallel).

I have also tried SCSI LSIlogic but then it does not boot at all and tries to do a network boot. I have tried all kind of combination what you can do in VMware Pro 14 (HW version 12, 14, SATA, SCSI, BIOS, UEFI does not boot).

The v1.03a2 boots immediatly and it finds disks and installation works. So there must be something whoch does not work with VM's in 1.0.3b

2 minutes ago, knopserl said:

I have also tried SCSI LSIlogic but then it does not boot at all and tries to do a network boot. I have tried all kind of combination what you can do in VMware Pro 14 (HW version 12, 14, SATA, SCSI, BIOS, UEFI does not boot).

The v1.03a2 boots immediatly and it finds disks and installation works. So there must be something whoch does not work with VM's in 1.0.3b

You should be able to modify the boot order in the VM's bios setup.  It's a pain to get there with the keyboard, depending on how you're controlling the remote view--easiest is to force it to bios setup on next boot in advanced->firmware tab.  The SCSI drives will take priority over the SATA boot disk, and it'll only test one hard drive for boot files.  You can re-order them in bios setup.

15 minutes ago, autohintbot said:

You should be able to modify the boot order in the VM's bios setup.  It's a pain to get there with the keyboard, depending on how you're controlling the remote view--easiest is to force it to bios setup on next boot in advanced->firmware tab.  The SCSI drives will take priority over the SATA boot disk, and it'll only test one hard drive for boot files.  You can re-order them in bios setup.

ok, this time it really worked with the SCSI LSIlogic disk and the corrected boot order! Thanks again for the hint!

BTW: There is a menu item in VMware "Boot to Firmware" which boots directly into the BIOS.

So I got the 3617 to work by a fresh install.

I have checked the 918 with bootimage 1.03a2 and the older 1.02b, both work with all SATA disks, only the 1.03b requires SCSI disk. So there is something strange in the 1.03b with SATA (except the bootdisk which has to be SATA).

So now the key question: I have a running productive VM 3615xs with DSM 6.1.x and bootloader 1.02b. Is there a chance to upgrade to 6.2.x and change the bootloader to 1.03b and modify the disk from SATA to SCSI? Because I did the procedure but ather the update to DSM 6.2 and exchanging the bootloader to 1.03b, it does no longer boot.

I assume because of the same reason, 1.03b does no longer accept SATA disks but requires SCSI disks.

What do you think?

On 7/31/2018 at 7:43 AM, Davidov said:

Hi to all.

Need help

Motherboard Asrok j3455 ITX

Loader 918

DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 

Download speed 630 KB Download speed at NAS 6.3 MB The speed of the ports port on a laptop is 100 MB 4 drives in raid 10

With a 3617 boot loader there is no such problem.

Who has such a motherboard and everything works okay, perhaps a problem in the bios. Could someone tell what parameters should be set, that the key to turn off. I want to use a 918 loader model, specifically buying a motherboard for it.

unfortuntaley the 918+ loader doesn't work very well with the asrock 3455 motherboards. I've got two (J3455M / J3455B-ITX) and both of them have the same symptoms when using the 1.03b loader:

- slow to boot

- slow to copy files over the network

- slow to copy files to/from USB to/from array

Using any of the 1.02 loaders (3615/3617/916) and DSM 6.1 works perfectly. Likewise - the 3615 and 3617 1.03b loaders also work fine with DSM6.2. 

I'm really hoping this is something Jun is working on, if not - his 361x loaders work flawlessly :)

Hi guys,

I have tried installation of 6.2 - 3617xs with new loader on ASRock B250M-HDV + Pentium G4600 3.6GHz. Vid/pid,  mac1 and sn. Grub file edited properlly- twice checked. Booting  ok, but synology assintant is not discovering barematal. Have any ideas?

Successfully upgraded.

Motherboard - Z87X-UD5H

CPU - i5 4670

Loader - 1.03b DS3617xs

Baremetal - Yes

SATA - Onboard Intel and a Marvell based 4 port SATA card.

Additional Comments - find.synology.com or Synology Assitant couldn't find my NAS, I used a network scanning tool to find the IP address and browse to it manually to do the update. Otherwise all smooth.

I have a running VM 3615xs with DSM 6.1.x and bootloader 1.02b on my Laptop for test purpose.

Processor is an i5-2410M and viewed in the info-center of the NAS as an i3-4130.

Update to loader 1.03b failed on vm with message:

"The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine."

I think its regarding to the old cpu.

Thanks to all for work on this project.

16 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

unfortuntaley the 918+ loader doesn't work very well with the asrock 3455 motherboards. I've got two (J3455M / J3455B-ITX) and both of them have the same symptoms when using the 1.03b loader:

- slow to boot

- slow to copy files over the network

- slow to copy files to/from USB to/from array

Using any of the 1.02 loaders (3615/3617/916) and DSM 6.1 works perfectly. Likewise - the 3615 and 3617 1.03b loaders also work fine with DSM6.2. 

I'm really hoping this is something Jun is working on, if not - his 361x loaders work flawlessly :)

i just installed 3617 with 1.03b loaders

i found the kernel version is 3.10.105

but 918p is 4.4

1 hour ago, chipped said:

Successfully upgraded.

Motherboard - Z87X-UD5H

CPU - i5 4670

Loader - 1.03b DS3617xs

Baremetal - Yes

Additional Comments - find.synology.com or Synology Assitant couldn't find my NAS, I used a network scanning tool to find the IP address and browse to it manually to do the update. Otherwise all smooth.

I know IP of my nas and I was trying as you said, but without succes.  When I will come back home I will  try to check log. "Error" could you make  some small tutorial,  how to do it?

4 hours ago, kpas said:

i just installed 3617 with 1.03b loaders

i found the kernel version is 3.10.105

but 918p is 4.4

Yes, that is the way Synology is supporting the older CPU's; they are not upgrading the kernel, at least in 6.2.  So if you want a newer kernel, 918 will be the way to go.

Hi!

Motherboard - QOTOM Q1900G2-P ,  Chipset Intel J1900

CPU - Celeron

Loader - 1.03b DS3615xs

Baremetal - Yes

SATA - Onboard Intel

Additional Comments - find.synology.com or Synology Assitant find my NAS, I used a network scanning tool to find the IP address, but not found my HDD.

Back to version 6.1.7 u2

1 hour ago, iedwardos said:

Hi!

Motherboard - QOTOM Q1900G2-P ,  Chipset Intel J1900

CPU - Celeron

Loader - 1.03b DS3615xs

Baremetal - Yes

SATA - Onboard Intel

Additional Comments - find.synology.com or Synology Assitant find my NAS, I used a network scanning tool to find the IP address, but not found my HDD.

Back to version 6.1.7 u2

Hi sound like a similar problem I have. I used a N4200 CPU/box but with a VMware host and the v1.03b did not detect the SATA HDD's. I had to switch to SCSI disks and then it installed (see my communication above). Only the boot image disk can/has to be be SATA the installation disk(s) have to be SCSI otherwise no HDD is detected.

20 hours ago, Looky said:

I know IP of my nas and I was trying as you said, but without succes.  When I will come back home I will  try to check log. "Error" could you make  some small tutorial,  how to do it?

Did you get a chance to try again? Do you have any extra info?

Give some more info about your system.

Motherboard - ASRock E3C226D2I

CPU - Xeon E3-1285L v3

Loader - 1.03b DS3615xs & DS3615xs

Baremetal - Yes

SATA - onboard Intel C226

Network - onboard 2 x Intel i210

Additional Comments - Synology Assitant cannot find NAS, I find it on old IP:5000, all is good, but the rw speed is wery slow:

Average (W): 18,20 MB/sec
Average (R): 16,51 MB/sec

Back to 6.1.7.

6.2 is definitely a WIP. I have rebuilt a bricked system for the 2nd time (ASRock J3455M) first time trying to move to 6.2 as a DS918, the second as DS317xs. Yet I have the same mobo successfully running 6.2 from Juno first release of DS918 . I have seen what others have observed,  slow boot and transfer with the J3455 setup. The shake out continues........

On 8/4/2018 at 11:16 PM, manfriday said:

6.2 is definitely a WIP. I have rebuilt a bricked system for the 2nd time (ASRock J3455M) first time trying to move to 6.2 as a DS918, the second as DS317xs. Yet I have the same mobo successfully running 6.2 from Juno first release of DS918 . I have seen what others have observed,  slow boot and transfer with the J3455 setup. The shake out continues........

hmm first release of DS918 - was that 1.03a (not 1.03a2)? Any chance you still have a copy of it?

i've got the exact same motherboard and 1.03a2 918+ is painfully slow, running it on DSM 6.2 using loader v1.03b (3615) is super quick with not one issue.

Had some issues, booted up and I started up the migration using 1.03b and 3617, however after it says Installation Completing it will reboot and I can’t get back into it.

I can see it’s boots up and there is HDD activity, I can ping it however I can’t login with SSH or to the web browser.

Any ideas?

Specs are:

Motherboard - H77-D3H-MVP
CPU - i5 3450
Loader - 1.03b DS3617xs
Baremetal - Yes