XPEnology Community

Progress of 6.2 loader

jun
Message added by Polanskiman

Let me get things straighten up here before this thread starts going sideways. This is the developper discussion room. Not a newbie forum to start asking for guides and whatnot. @jun hasn't even said anything about the loader he has uploaded to his repository. So I would advise self control. Also, to those in panic mode trying to make things work desperately please use your personal jugement and experience. If you want to have a positive contribution to this thread then please do so by posting about possible bugs or things that don't work (beyond the "no network" boring posts of course). I am talking about serious bugs or the such. All other requests will from now on be deleted or moved if appropriate. I have no time to babysit anymore. Use the forum subsections.

36 minutes ago, RainbowShaggy said:

Hello, I tried loader on my PowerEdge R710 with Intel Xeon E5520 on ESXi 6.5 and it's seems that network not working, because it's not getting an IP address. Could it be caused this by old CPU? Thank you.

Yes, DS918+ doesn’t seem to boot on anything older than Haswell.

I´ve got the problem that the system boots up, gets found by synology assisant, but i can´t reach it in the browser. Afterwards the system shuts down and I have to do the same procedure again.

Any ideas?

Btw.

Which Serial Number do you use in the grub.cfg guys?

Edited by passi0509

36 minutes ago, passi0509 said:

I´ve got the problem that the system boots up, gets found by synology assisant, but i can´t reach it in the browser. Afterwards the system shuts down and I have to do the same procedure again.

Any ideas?

Btw.

Which Serial Number do you use in the grub.cfg guys?

What CPU do you have? Try it without a display plugged in the MB. I use a valid generated SN, but you only need a valid one if you want hardware transcoding in Video Station. The SN doesn’t have to match the model and you also don’t need a matching MAC.

On 7/8/2018 at 2:01 PM, IG-88 said:

just a small warning for people trying the 918+ with more then 2 NIC's (more precisely more then 2 network ports)

(same goes for 916+ i guess)

i had some fun with that as non working drivers and this "new" limit interfered confused me a little (driver working and no ethX)

the limit is there for years but not interfered when using the bigger business models that can have additional nic's

918+ has

maxlanports="2"

in synoconfig.conf the standard for the "normal" 3615/3617 is "8"

to get more then two ports working you need to change this or you will and up with only eth0 and eth1

you can change maxlanport to 8

Hi, after a lot of Googling how to fix this, I ended up here.

I couldn't find synoconfig.conf, but I did find synoinfo.conf which contained the same info.

Unfortunately, after editing maxlanport="2" to maxlanport="8" I was still left with only two NICs visible from withing DSM.

Can you offer any help? Am I editing the correct file?

I'm running 1.03a2 on ESXi 6.7. It seems to be working well apart from not seeing my passed-through RocketRAID 2720SGL and the NIC issue above.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, ozool said:

Hi, after a lot of Googling how to fix this, I ended up here.

I couldn't find synoconfig.conf, but I did find synoinfo.conf which contained the same info.

oops, wrong name, thanks, its synoinfo.conf and there is one in /etc and one in /etc.defaults to still have the change after a reboot you will need the edit in /etc.defaults too

changed it to

"in synoinfo.conf (in /etc AND /etc.defaults)"

Unfortunately, after editing maxlanport="2" to maxlanport="8" I was still left with only two NICs visible from withing DSM.

change it in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf and reboot

Can you offer any help? Am I editing the correct file?

I'm running 1.03a2 on ESXi 6.7. It seems to be working well apart from not seeing my passed-through RocketRAID 2720SGL and the NIC issue above.

to get the rocketraid working you will need the driver mvsas.ko, that one is part of my driver extension (-> STORAGE DRIVER LIST, Marvell)

Edited by IG-88

Xeon E3-1270v3, 4 cores, 3.5 GHz base, 3.9 GHz burst, no graphics, Haswell, Q2/2013 on a Dell T1700 with 4GB of Ram

(On list that it works)

Not for me.

I have this system and I got loader 1.02b ds3617 working on it:

I have tried setting up the ds918 and 1.03a2 loader and it will not work.  No network detection

I have installed ESXI 6.5 on this system and tried doing a VM of ds918 also no network detection

I added the extra.lzma v0.4 and nothing .

Tried two different types of USB sticks also.

If anyone has this working please advise .

root@T1700:~# lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel driver in use: ahci

This is using loader 1.02b on ds3617

Edited by painkiller895

2 hours ago, painkiller895 said:

Xeon E3-1270v3, 4 cores, 3.5 GHz base, 3.9 GHz burst, no graphics, Haswell, Q2/2013 on a Dell T1700 with 4GB of Ram

(On list that it works)

Not for me.

I have this system and I got loader 1.02b ds3617 working on it:

I have tried setting up the ds918 and 1.03a2 loader and it will not work.  No network detection

I have installed ESXI 6.5 on this system and tried doing a VM of ds918 also no network detection

I added the extra.lzma v0.4 and nothing .

Tried two different types of USB sticks also.

If anyone has this working please advise .

root@T1700:~# lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel driver in use: ahci

This is using loader 1.02b on ds3617

I forgot to ask, is there something that must be enabled or disabled in the BIOS that I must know about ? I added a Intel nic card and that did not work on loader 1.03a2 but works on the 1.02b loader. 

2 hours ago, painkiller895 said:

did you see my comments on the bottom of the 1st posting here

mainly 3. about bios setting and if you can use a serial cable you might see if the system crashes on boot or just have driver problems

the nic on your dell is a intel 82579, thats e1000e driver, my extra.lzma contains the driver from the april 2018 driver intel driver cd 23.2 and i tested/used that driver on my test system (baremetal) i'd say its unlikely a nic problem

you can try with jun's loader without additional extra.lzma

on my test system i could recognize a crash (legacy bios option) by seen the vga monitor going blank instead of showing jun's message, in that case it was about the i915 driver (graphics) but you cpu does not have graphics so also unlikely

the entry in my cpu list if from that:

Edited by IG-88

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

did you see my comments on the bottom of the 1st posting here

mainly 3. about bios setting and if you can use a serial cable you might see if the system crashes on boot or just have driver problems

the nic on your dell is a intel 82579, thats e1000e driver, my extra.lzma contains the driver from the april 2018 driver intel driver cd 23.2 and i tested/used that driver on my test system (baremetal) i'd say its unlikely a nic problem

you can try with jun's loader without additional extra.lzma

on my test system i could recognize a crash (legacy bios option) by seen the vga monitor going blank instead of showing jun's message, in that case it was about the i915 driver (graphics) but you cpu does not have graphics so also unlikely

the entry in my cpu list if from that:

He has it working on a HP PROLIANT ML310E GEN8 V2 machine, I'm using a Dell T1700 .

does not have graphics enabled on the VGA port as per Dell, but is using a graphics card. I don't think it has anything to do with that because loader 1.02b works on this system. I will keep testing and see what else I come up with...

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

oops, wrong name, thanks, its synoinfo.conf and there is one in /etc and one in /etc.defaults to still have the change after a reboot you will need the edit in /etc.defaults too

changed it to

"in synoinfo.conf (in /etc AND /etc.defaults)"

change it in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf and reboot

to get the rocketraid working you will need the driver mvsas.ko, that one is part of my driver extension (-> STORAGE DRIVER LIST, Marvell)

Thanks!

I now have all four NICs recognised and working.

lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver' reveals that mvsas is in use, but I still can't see my drives. Is this likely to be something to do with the sataportmap setting?

Seeing as I'm running on ESXi, I'm not sure how to configure it or how to count the SATA controllers. I have two virtual disks attached (on SATA 0:0 and SATA 0:1).

There are currently four drives attached to the RocketRAID card, but none are visible to DSM.

Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, painkiller895 said:

He has it working on a HP PROLIANT ML310E GEN8 V2 machine, I'm using a Dell T1700 .

they have a bios too, maybe you PM him to ask for any unusual he might have seen with his setup

5 hours ago, painkiller895 said:

does not have graphics enabled on the VGA port as per Dell, but is using a graphics card. I don't think it has anything to do with that because loader 1.02b works on this system. I will keep testing and see what else I come up with...

that 1.02 does work is only important for the fact that the hardware is working in general, as 918+ is using different kernel settings and newer kernel 4.4 there are a lot of differences (min cpu spec. as one, and i've seen the legacy mode option to make trouble on my test system)

if you connect vga and see the screen go dark/blank after jun's message you can be sure it crashed the kernel on boot completely

there is another hing you can try, install 918+ on a different hardware (single disk) and use this usb and hdd on your dell, after it booted and a few minutes without hdd activity switch off, boot usb live linux (or connect hdd somewhere else) and check if there is something new in /var/log/dmesg, if the system came up without a proper nic driver you should see that, if there is nothing new in dmesg then the switch from usb boot to hdd did not work, its likely that the system crashed before that (the hdd controller seemed to be ahci so storage driver should not be a problem in this test)

23 minutes ago, ozool said:

lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver' reveals that mvsas is in use, but I still can't see my drives. Is this likely to be something to do with the sataportmap setting? 

usually not, never had problems with that as a solution

23 minutes ago, ozool said:

Seeing as I'm running on ESXi, I'm not sure how to configure it or how to count the SATA controllers. I have two virtual disks attached (on SATA 0:0 and SATA 0:1).

There are currently four drives attached to the RocketRAID card, but none are visible to DSM.

you should check /var/log/dmesg for messages from the mvsas driver and disks that are found

dsm counts the sata ports if the ports exceeds the defines max. 12 ports (even unused ports) disks can be present in the system (linux) but will not show up in the dsm gui, so if you check look for disks, count them and look for vendor id's of your missing disks (just ssh into your system with putty type dmesg and you can scroll up/down in the window, or use a editor to check the log)

18 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

you should check /var/log/dmesg for messages from the mvsas driver and disks that are found

dsm counts the sata ports if the ports exceeds the defines max. 12 ports (even unused ports) disks can be present in the system (linux) but will not show up in the dsm gui, so if you check look for disks, count them and look for vendor id's of your missing disks (just ssh into your system with putty type dmesg and you can scroll up/down in the window, or use a editor to check the log)

I Checked the log and I can see the mvsas driver has loaded.

I'm not really sure what most of this means, but I'm seeing four instances of this type of error (I assume one for each of my four attached disks):

[Fri Jul 27 12:30:46 2018] sas: DOING DISCOVERY on port 0, pid:6
[Fri Jul 27 12:30:46 2018] sas: ATA device seen but CONFIG_SCSI_SAS_ATA=N so cannot attach
[Fri Jul 27 12:30:46 2018] sas: unhandled device 5

So it looks like something is preventing the drive from attaching.

Thanks again for your help.

1 hour ago, ozool said:

[Fri Jul 27 12:30:46 2018] sas: DOING DISCOVERY on port 0, pid:6

[Fri Jul 27 12:30:46 2018] sas: ATA device seen but CONFIG_SCSI_SAS_ATA=N so cannot attach
[Fri Jul 27 12:30:46 2018] sas: unhandled device 5 

i've re-copied the original apollolake config  and recompliled mvsas and libsas with CONFIG_SCSI_SAS_ATA=Y

try this 0.5_test version

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=01077994252925895830

On 7/26/2018 at 10:04 AM, Thecapri said:

hello all long time did not come here just to let you know i have loaded and testing DS918+ with my ASerock h110M CPU it I5-6600 with 16 gig of ram and  6*3 TB hard drive raid 5

i am transferring data on it to test . Will test Plex and let you know how it goes.

i have installed plex and running it without any problem for now on my roku and pc

3 hours ago, arejaytee said:

Is it likely that we will ever see a release for the older builds for those of us who aren't running the latest and greatest? stupidly bought a Gen8 server which is now redundant. @Polanskiman@jun

Not all is lost my friend, there is always FreeNas, OpenMedia Vault.  Which are very good also....

Don't feel bad I bought a Dell T1700 and it won't work with the latest loader and I have the proper hardware.

So i'm using loader 1.02b on it for now...till there is a fix ...

Edited by painkiller895