XPEnology Community

Progress of 6.2 loader

jun
Message added by Polanskiman

Let me get things straighten up here before this thread starts going sideways. This is the developper discussion room. Not a newbie forum to start asking for guides and whatnot. @jun hasn't even said anything about the loader he has uploaded to his repository. So I would advise self control. Also, to those in panic mode trying to make things work desperately please use your personal jugement and experience. If you want to have a positive contribution to this thread then please do so by posting about possible bugs or things that don't work (beyond the "no network" boring posts of course). I am talking about serious bugs or the such. All other requests will from now on be deleted or moved if appropriate. I have no time to babysit anymore. Use the forum subsections.

No Xeon e3 12x0 commes with a build in GPU. Having hardware accelaration with a XEON E3-1220v3 is impossible due lack of an iGPU.

Most server mainboard either depend on an iGPU or provide a crappy onboard GPU. The later ones usualy don't support to use the iGPU instead.

Edited by haydibe

13 hours ago, turbo21psi said:

1.03a2 seems to be working just fine on Supermicro X10SLM+-F with E3-1220v3.  Motherboard has 2 NIC ports and both are detected, LACP bond working.  No additional sata  or nic card, just onboard for now.  USB 3.0 ports work fine, was able to get over 100mbps transfer rate.

Videostation doesn't seem to work for some files, is that the transcoding issue?  I don't really intend on using that app, but I thought I'd test it.  DSM doesn't crash though, just some videos will not play.

So far it seems pretty good to me. Only have it up for a few hours but no random crashes or anything. Most of the things I tried are working.  Plex, AD integration, NIC Bonding.

I only have 1 spare disk for testing so I haven't tried making RAID arrays yet.

Anything other things I should be testing? I'm open for suggestions.

Hi,

Out of curiosity, what do you have you system configured as: DS918+, 916,3615xs, 3617xs?

I'm very happy with my Supermicro X10SL7-F mbrd with E3-1241v3: it's rock solid (configured as a DS3615xs) with 9x8TB (WD80EFZX)in RAID 6 config; 6 of the drives are connected on the SATA ports and remainder on 3 of the 8 LSI2308 SAS ports.  I did recently experience connection errors with one of the drives which has now been RMA'd back to WD, Vietnam, for replacement under warranty.

Am using the box mainly media storage (photo collections; Plex server for my smart tv; and media downloads via Sonar, SABnzbd, etc).  Using my old DS1513+ (5x4TB WD40EFRX) to back up important data via Hyperbackup. Have additional off-site backup of important data via a 4 mile wi-fi connection across the valley to my son's house.  Use that same connection to access his video library and for his family to access mine.

While I have both the X10SL7-F LAN ports bonded, I'm getting transfer rates of averaging 90 MB/s to my desktop PC whilst simultaneously transferring at about 30 MB/s to a notebook PC (also via a hardwired ethernet connection). This is with multiple (15~20 Mb) photo jpgs and the occasional video files ranging in size from 70 Mb to upwards of 500 Mb).

I am getting read/write speeds on the Xpenology  box maxing out my PCs single ethernet connection at 107~114 MB/s (mainly about 110~112 MB/s).  No problems running Photostation for displaying photo library; but original media is stored separately on the disks.

No problems running the DSM 6.1.7-15284-1 using Jun's 1.02b, I'm not game to try moving to DSM 6.2 with Jun's 1.03a, just yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndreyATGB said:

Wouldn’t that be because the E3-1220v3 doesn’t have an iGPU? I was under the impression that you need a GPU of some sort to use hardware accelerated encoding.

Good point, but the one with the hardware acceleration option is on a DL380-G7 (X5660 CPUs) which I don't believe have an iGPU either.  I think Plex build for synology machines just don't have this option, which kind of make sense since it probably wouldn't work anyway.

2 minutes ago, turbo21psi said:

Good point, but the one with the hardware acceleration option is on a DL380-G7 (X5660 CPUs) which I don't believe have an iGPU either.  I think Plex build for synology machines just don't have this option, which kind of make sense since it probably wouldn't work anyway.

I find it hard to believe it actually works with no GPU. If you play a video that requires transcoding (HEVC for example) does it say -hwaccel in top as an argument to ffmpeg? Plex for Synology definitely supports it, you need Plex Pass and a compatible loader. There's people with Plex Pass running with hw accel on DS918+ for example.

1 hour ago, Rhubarb said:

Hi,

Out of curiosity, what do you have you system configured as: DS918+, 916,3615xs, 3617xs?

The one I'm testing 1.03a2 on is configured as DS918+. I actually just built this box yesterday and weighing in if I should jump into 6.2 or stay with 6.1 when I migrate my "production" disks.

34 minutes ago, AndreyATGB said:

I find it hard to believe it actually works with no GPU. If you play a video that requires transcoding (HEVC for example) does it say -hwaccel in top as an argument to ffmpeg? Plex for Synology definitely supports it, you need Plex Pass and a compatible loader. There's people with Plex Pass running with hw accel on DS918+ for example.

Oh I wasn't saying hardware acceleration was working, just that the check box to turn it on is available.  I'm pretty sure checking that box will do nothing for that server.

I installed Plex using just what's available in the package center.

J4205 seems to work fine out of the box. I do have a PCIe SATA adapter which was recognized just fine. I also have 3 bonded NIC connections (1 internal, 2 gigabit ethernet USB 3.0 dongles), so I did have to increase the settings in synoinfo to reflect the additional NIC (standard is 2, had to bump to 3). Thank you guy that figured that out before me!!!

Hw accelerated transcoding seems to work. One stream is averaging about 20-35% cpu via Emby streaming when I was playing it in a different resolution. Idles at 1-3% when running native resolution. 

The system has been rock solid for me. No resets, no dropped connections, no errors that I can see. I have 6x4TB WD Gold drives.

Overall, 1.03a2 configured as DS918+ on the Asrock J4205 is running great.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turbo21psi said:

Oh I wasn't saying hardware acceleration was working, just that the check box to turn it on is available.  I'm pretty sure checking that box will do nothing for that server.

I installed Plex using just what's available in the package center.

Sorry for rushing in, but I have a Plex Pass and for me Hardware Acceleration is working with Plex and Videostation.

I am running DSM 6.2 on a DELL Poweredge T30 with an Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5.

Edited by Sonnyboy666

4 hours ago, Sonnyboy666 said:

Sorry for rushing in, but I have a Plex Pass and for me Hardware Acceleration is working with Plex and Videostation.

Yeah but your CPU actually has an iGPU.

Unrelated to the quote, I reinstalled DS918+ and as before, hwaccel was crashing after 5 seconds. I've also tried Plex with hwaccel and that was crashing instantly. However, I've unplugged the monitor and rebooted the system and now both VideoStation and Plex work with hwaccel, no more rebooting. I've tried both BIOS and UEFI boot and they both behave the same way, it seems transcoding works fine with a G4560 as long as no displays are connected.

• Thanks 1

Huge thanks to AndreyATGB ! This was indeed the solution of my reboot issue when using hardware tanscoding.

Do not plug anything on your graphic ouputs otherwize DSM will crash when using hardware transcoding.

If any wire is plugged and system is on, you need to unplug it and then restart before using hardware transcoding.

Edited by Dark Zydor

44 minutes ago, Dark Zydor said:

Huge thanks to AndreyATGB ! This was indeed the solution of my reboot issue when using hardware tanscoding.

Do not plug anything on your graphic ouputs otherwize DSM will crash when using hardware transcoding.

If any wire is plugged and system is on, you need to unplug it and then restart before using hardware transcoding.

Very interesting, great to see someone else replicate it.

В 12.07.2018 в 08:44, Sonnyboy666 сказал:

Can you post here the result of this command in telnet/ssh:

cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

36 minutes ago, Olegin said:

Can you post here the result of this command in telnet/ssh:

cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

This file does not exist by default you need to install Videostation, enable hw transcoding and actually go play a movie before it appears.

On 7/12/2018 at 12:44 AM, Sonnyboy666 said:

I also have Plex pass and I did a manual install using a package from their site and now the hardware acceleration option is available. Plex works with it checked and doesn't crash, but since my system doesn't have an iGPU I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything.

As far as updates on stability, I have 6.2 up and running since tuesday(4 days) with no crashes or reboots. The stuff I've done so far are: file transfers, hyperbackup (usb backup and restore),   VM manager and just installing random apps.  I'll see if I can find some old drives this weekend and try to build an array and see how that goes.

6 минут назад, modboxx сказал:

This file does not exist by default you need to install Videostation, enable hw transcoding and actually go play a movie before it appears. 

I know it, but Sonnyboy666 wrote, that hw transcoding work on his Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5 in VS:

1 час назад, Sonnyboy666 сказал:

- Outcome of the update: SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2-23739

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03a2 - DS918+

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - DELL Poweredge T30 (Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5)

- Additional comments: Hardware-Acceleration is working in Plex and Videostation.

6 minutes ago, Olegin said:

I know it, but Sonnyboy666 wrote, that hw transcoding work on his Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5 in VS:

That's a nice cpu for Plex transcoing :) 

Sonny can you also do below command and post result?

dmesg |grep drm

Edited by modboxx

1 hour ago, Olegin said:

And content  of /dev/dri , please....

Not who you quoted, but here's mine:

root@NAS:~# ls -al /dev/dri/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       100 Jul 12 16:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root     18760 Jul 12 16:58 ..
crw-rw----  1 root video 226,   0 Jul 12 16:58 card0
crw-rw----  1 root video 226,  64 Jul 12 16:58 controlD64
crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 128 Jul 12 16:58 renderD128