XPEnology Community

Progress of 6.2 loader

jun
Message added by Polanskiman

Let me get things straighten up here before this thread starts going sideways. This is the developper discussion room. Not a newbie forum to start asking for guides and whatnot. @jun hasn't even said anything about the loader he has uploaded to his repository. So I would advise self control. Also, to those in panic mode trying to make things work desperately please use your personal jugement and experience. If you want to have a positive contribution to this thread then please do so by posting about possible bugs or things that don't work (beyond the "no network" boring posts of course). I am talking about serious bugs or the such. All other requests will from now on be deleted or moved if appropriate. I have no time to babysit anymore. Use the forum subsections.

10 hours ago, wimpi13 said:

Because my NAS install DSM 6.2 automatically, it's not visible on my net, now :-(

So, I'm very impatient to read about you !

Thanks for your wonderful work !

Best regards

i wrote something here

and there is also the option to just wait by booting up open media vault from a separate disk and use the data parttions from the "sysnology disks" with that nas (nfs/smb, ...)

in the end dsm uses standard linux features with nice tools and gui, it's still mdadm and lvm and open media vault can handle that too with a nice webgui

that's my tested fallback scenario when dsm does not work and i really want to access my data over network

going forward and upgrading to 918+ using 1.03a2 is only a option if drivers are present and for this its best to test with one empty disk (all others disconnected)

most people will have 3615/3617 setups and for those there is no loader 1.03 (yet) as the hack is individual to every system it will need time and also we still need to know first if its working stable at all (i have seen weird behavior on a skylake system, only 1 out of 8 boot seems to work, have not found a pattern yet and not used serial cable to see why it fails to boot so often, i will pause that efforts and see to compile additional make drivers first)

• Like 1

Yesterday I've tried the new DS918+-loader (v1.03a2) with a valid serial number and Mac-address on an Asrock B250M Pro4 (Intel i217 LAN) with Intel Pentium G4600, 8GB Ram and 1x128GB SSD (just for testing purposes).

It looks that everything runs fine at the moment.

#Pentium G4600 (Kaby Lake-S, 2x3,6GHz, Intel HD Graphics 630)

tested to boot: ok

tested to video hardware transcode: ok (latest Plex Pass and Videostation)

Yesterday I realized that after a reboot the system wasn't on. Maybe it was because of some packages I've installed via CLI. Will test further if reboot is working properly.

At the moment everything is ok.

• Like 1

To my post above I've to say that I've sudden interruptions (e.g. while watching a video with Video Station) and DSM says that the system improperly shutted down. But it was just a disconnection for a couple of seconds. So no real reboot. Maybe it has something to do with my undervolting.I will check this tomorrow or it has really something to do with the bootloader. I will watch this issue further.

Tested on a VM on a ESXi 6.7 on a Gen8 with Xeon E3-1220 V2 and it is not working. It gets stuck on this screen (as expected) but the network interface is not recognized so i am not able to trigger the setup (and yes i selected the E1000 as network card). I think it's dependant on the instructions library missing on older CPU like someone said before.

jun103a2.PNG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, simoareva said:

Tested on a VM on a ESXi 6.7 on a Gen8 with Xeon E3-1220 V2 and it is not working. It gets stuck on this screen (as expected) but the network interface is not recognized so i am not able to trigger the setup (and yes i selected the E1000 as network card). I think it's dependant on the instructions library missing on older CPU like someone said before.

jun103a2.PNG

Yeah I have the exact same problem when running the loader from VMware Workstation 12. No network or disk activity whatsoever, not tested on baremetal hardware myself.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:41 PM, redmilk said:

i3-3220t and i3-3220, G2030,i3-4130 not work 

i5-4670t work fine

i3-4130 is Haswell and there are 2 other Haswell reported as working - can you check on that cpu? in theory its a 4th gen core so it should work

13 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i3-4130 is Haswell and there are 2 other Haswell reported as working - can you check on that cpu? in theory its a 4th gen core so it should work

Now...Test again and it will not work.It is not visible on the network after booting.

i3-4130, Asrock b85m Pro4(intel i217v)

add..

i7-7700T, J3455 work fine

Edited by redmilk

6 hours ago, redmilk said:

Now...Test again and it will not work.It is not visible on the network after booting.

strange, the driver for the nic would be e1000e and thats inside the image and the platform haswell works for others

maybe we can come back to this later when we have a driver package and have divers compiled from intel source, maybe a driver problem and not th cpu

9 hours ago, IG-88 said:

strange, the driver for the nic would be e1000e and thats inside the image and the platform haswell works for others

maybe we can come back to this later when we have a driver package and have divers compiled from intel source, maybe a driver problem and not th cpu

I have an Acer C100F3 server with i3-4150T CPU and two I210 NIC and one I217 NIC. When I use jun's loader 1.02b, it is not visible on the network after booting. I have tried the loader with or without your driver package, and it's the same result. (When I try XPEnoboot 5.2, it can be detected on the network)

And I tried loader 1.03a2, it's not visible on the network either.

And I noticed that when I boot the server with jun's loader 1.02b, the led of nic is not lighted, so I think the nic is not working. But when I edit the grub.cfg file, from 

initrd $img/rd.gz $img/$extra_initrd

to

initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/rd.gz

and boot the server with the edited loader,  the led of nic is lighted, but the server is still not visible on the network.

Edited by kurara0726

15 hours ago, redmilk said:

add..

i7-7700T, J3455 work fine

Can you please try install the i5-4670t CPU to the Asrock b85m Pro4 motherboard and see if it works? So we can see if it's the problem with the motherboard or with the CPU (instructions library missing? maybe vt-d or Intel Trusted Execution Technology is needed for dsm to work?).

Edited by kurara0726

3 hours ago, kurara0726 said:

I have an Acer C100F3 server with i3-4150T CPU and two I210 NIC and one I217 NIC. When I use jun's loader 1.02b, it is not visible on the network after booting. I have tried the loader with or without your driver package, and it's the same result. (When I try XPEnoboot 5.2, it can be detected on the network)

And I tried loader 1.03a2, it's not visible on the network either.

on 1.02/DSM 6.1 i never replaced the e1000e driver as there where no problems reported (afair) and it was coming directly from synology

the data from intel for e1000e (latest driver i looked up in 2017) are

e1000e: Intel PCIe PRO/1000 82563/82566/82567/82571/82572/82573/82574/82577/82578/82583/Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter/PRO/1000 PT/PF/I217-LM/V/I218-V/LM/I219 LM/V

so i217 should work at least with the latest e1000e driver (when used)

i do have a Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter (chip on it is 82574) so i can test the driver but afair the adapter was working with the driver in 1.02b, but when using a recent driver from intel source i will be able to test if the driver is working

i will have a look at the intel driver when i'm doing the 1.03 stuff this weekend, i guess i already compiled the driver with the e1000 driver and did not include it in the extra.lzma as there was nothing to fix/gain (don't try to repair thing that aren't broken)

3 hours ago, kurara0726 said:

Can you please try install the i5-4670t CPU to the Asrock b85m Pro4 motherboard and see if it works? So we can see if it's the problem with the motherboard or with the CPU (instructions library missing? maybe vt-d or Intel Trusted Execution Technology is needed for dsm to work?).

i'm pretty sure its the nic, you kind of confirmed that the i217 is not working

i'm sure its not vt-d, my C2550 i tested does not have this, if you want to make guesses look for differences in gen3 vs. gen4 intel core cpu's, sandy and ivy bridge cpu's are not working with 918+ and if you add the C2550 to that instruction comparison ...

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i'm pretty sure its the nic, you kind of confirmed that the i217 is not working

i'm sure its not vt-d, my C2550 i tested does not have this, if you want to make guesses look for differences in gen3 vs. gen4 intel core cpu's, sandy and ivy bridge cpu's are not working with 918+ and if you add the C2550 to that instruction comparison ...

Thank you for reply. I tryed some more times, and I'm sure the i217(i217-LM) is not working. I noticed that when I connected the lan to i217 nic, the led lighted after booting, while when I connected the lan to i210, the led didn't light. The 3 nic's works ok if I install win10 to the server.

Look forward to your new driver package.:12_slight_smile:

Unable to discover it and not showing on my network.  I have tried both the baremetal and VMware options from the Grub loader.

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2665 0 @ 2.40GHz

ESXI Version: 6.7

Host Config:

SATA Controller

e1000e Network Card

50mb boot (SATA0)

16gb test drive (SATA1)

I attempted to set the mac address in the GRUB loader with the set command to match the interface.  That did not work.  I am willing to try different options if people have suggestions.

4 hours ago, Hyperbit said:

Is there any experience  with the AsRock Q1900 (Intel J1900) board?

according to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors#"Bay_Trail-D"_(22_nm)

it seems to be on the level of ivy bridge so maybe not, but my guess for my C2550 would also have been no but its working

so as long as we have no feedback on bay trail i would not write it off

4 hours ago, Hyperbit said:

If no I could try it in aprox. 1month when I come back home.

you can check on the list on page 5 of this thread or maybe in the then existing driver thread for 6.2 so see if we know more about your cpu already by then