XPEnology Community

Progress of 6.2 loader

jun
Message added by Polanskiman

Let me get things straighten up here before this thread starts going sideways. This is the developper discussion room. Not a newbie forum to start asking for guides and whatnot. @jun hasn't even said anything about the loader he has uploaded to his repository. So I would advise self control. Also, to those in panic mode trying to make things work desperately please use your personal jugement and experience. If you want to have a positive contribution to this thread then please do so by posting about possible bugs or things that don't work (beyond the "no network" boring posts of course). I am talking about serious bugs or the such. All other requests will from now on be deleted or moved if appropriate. I have no time to babysit anymore. Use the forum subsections.

2 hours ago, hoppler said:

Its been a while, how about an update with an ETA?

It's done when it's done, do not ask for ETA's.

Nice work @jun. Would love to read more about your work (like tech talk on how to build the bootloader).

20 hours ago, hoppler said:

Despite the heroic "Its done when its done" caller, maybe a problem arised stopping a release in the near future. Therefore an update like "everythin is smoothly goin on" would be nice.

Seriously? Please stop claiming...

I am a noob. It would be kindly if someone could explain what is the easiesest and correct method to update to 6.2 with the new juns loader.

At the moment i use an usb-Stick with juns loader 1.02b and a stable 6.1.7-15284 Version. My system runs stable since many months. It is my first self build NAS with xpenology. Before I used an original Synology DS214+.

Do i need a new USB-stick with the new loader ? Im not sure. Sorry for my beginner question but i dont want install all datas completely new.

Sorry for my incorrect english. My mother language is german.

Edited by Guest

I am a noob. It would be kindly if someone could explain what is the easiesest and correct method to update to 6.2 with the new juns loader.

At the moment i use an usb-Stick with juns loader 1.02b and a stable 6.1.7-15284 Version. My system runs stable since many months. It is my first self build NAS with xpenology. Before I used an original Synology DS214+.

Do i need a new USB-stick with the new loader ? Im not sure. Sorry for my beginner question but i dont want install all datas completely new.

Sorry for my incorrect english. My mother language is german.

None. Read the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 918 image works in VMWare Workstation. Can create Volumes and access them over network.

HowTo:

1. Get DS916p 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha.zip and synoboot-ds918.zip from https://mega.nz/#F!BtFQ2DgC!JgomNP3X8V9EuwxL4TXbng!Z5UCFaaL
  2. Extract both archives
  3. Replace synoboot.img with new synoboot-ds918.img (remember to rename the new one back to synoboot.img)
  4. In VMWare edit the VM (right-click "Settings...") and change from UEFI to Bios under "Options" -> "Advanced"
  5. Add additional HDDs only as SATA

Attention: After installing DMS6.2 you have to redo Step 3 as the setup will format it.

Edited by hoppler
  • Thanks 1

Thank you it is working in virtualmaschinemanager 

import the loader as image in virtualmaschinemanager 

create a new virtualmaschine

set both storage to SATA set the networkadapter to E1000

boot 

search with synology assistent and it is working install DSM 6.2 for 918

do not format the partition with the loader in DSM itself

thank you JUN 0_0

i can write a guide when more informations are needed please let me know

1.jpg

Edited by nemesis122
  • Like 1

I have created a complete maschine with this loader in virtualmaschinemanager Plex , docker , Volumes , Different Filesystems and volumes and the loader is running great in a virtualmaschine.

I will now try on a Dell Personal Computer 660s my testing maschine 

:17_heart_eyes:

thank you JUN !!!

1 hour ago, nemesis122 said:

please find the guide attached 

This guide is only for running the loader in virtualmachine Manager 

loader918.pdf

Great work. Thank you nemesis122 for doing that precisely.

I wait to upgrade to DSM 6.2 until there is a loader for bare metal, not in VM.

On bare metal this loader is not working in this case for a Dell 660(networtk driver missing for realtek??) with en other Server only intel hardware and a Gen8 i have not tried.

i have also tried with extra drivers package  but i think this are drivers for en older kernel

so the question is for this loader only the drivers are missing ?

Baremetal Gen8 does not work. ErrorMessage: "mount failed" so it seems we are missing some drivers.

Those are integrated into the new bootloader:

Modules  

alx.ko
atl1.ko
atl1c.ko
atl1e.ko
ax88179_178a.ko
bnx2.ko
BusLogic.ko
button.ko
cnic.ko
e1000.ko
ixgbe.ko
jme.ko
libphy.ko
mdio.ko
megaraid.ko
megaraid_mbox.ko
megaraid_mm.ko
megaraid_sas.ko
mii.ko
mptbase.ko
mptctl.ko
mptsas.ko
mptscsih.ko
mptspi.ko
netxen_nic.ko
ohci-hcd.ko
pcnet32.ko
qla3xxx.ko
qlcnic.ko
qlge.ko
r8168.ko
r8169.ko
scsi_transport_spi.ko
sfc.ko
skge.ko
sky2.ko
tg3.ko
uio.ko
usbnet.ko
vmw_pvscsi.ko
vmxnet3.ko

Hide  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you mount the "synoboot.img" with OSFMount you can see that there are 3 different boot-settings in the loader:

"DS918+ 6.2 Baremetal"

"DS918+ 6.2 Baremetal Reinstall"

"DS918+ 6.2 VMWare/ESXI"

I will play around with the settings and try an update of a running VMware Workstation Test-VM under DSM 6.1.x.