checksumerror

Virtual Box Fail.. Clearly a N00b, Can you help?

Question

Posted (edited)

I originally installed DMS 6.1 using.. https://xpenology.club/install-dsm-6-1-on-virtualbox/,

I just saw there was an update, so I snapshot the virtual machine, and began the update. Then I waited and waited for it to start, but nothing. So I went back to restore the previous snap shot, to find, SHOCK HORROR, that I had snapshot the wrong machine, and have no way to roll back. FAIL.

So now I have a machine which wont boot, it just gets to:-

early console in decompress_kernel

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

Booting the kernal.

Any advice where to start?

Thank you

fail.JPG

bootmenu.JPG

Edited by checksumerror

3 answers to this question

Ok, so far, I pulled the image(vdi) to my desktop along with the old synoboot.vmdk I was using (v1.02-alpa).

I then found.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytimsezu9cl61xx/synoboot_1.02b_ESXi_only.zip?dl=0,

so I replaced the main boot disk on the IDE side with the files from here, and its booting on my desktop.

I am going to move the files back to my headless ubunutu virtualbox, with phpvirtualbox and see if it will boot again.

ok, this worked and allowed DSM 6.1.6-15266 Update 1 to be installed.

I did try and use jun's direct files by converting the img to vmdk, however I clearly don't understand how this works. As it did show up as a migration, but it wouldn't let me visit it in my browser.

Thanks for all the hard work of the community. I hope my crazed post may help someone else out in future.

The question(s) in this topic have been answered and/or the topic author has resolved their issue. This topic is now closed. If you have other questions, please open a new topic.