XPEnology Community

XPEnology on Lenovo storcenter PX6-300d

netrider

Just installed xpenology with dsm 6.1 (ds3615) with juns loader 1.02b on the PX6-300d (6 drive NAS).  Pretty straight forward using this guide to boot from usb.  

GUIDE: Customer OS on PX6-300D

1) Had to plug the USB in the back usb port.

2) Entered the PID/VID/SN and mac1 and mac2

3) also required to enter: SataPortMap=6

After that it booted right up and installed DSM with the synology assistant.  Working good so far with no issues and all 6 bays can be utilized.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I want to do the same, it's from 2016 that I'm trying. :)

Can you help me ?

Do you think is it possible to press DEL key with an USB keyboard and switch 1st Boot Device without using a serial cable ? because I don't have the cable and the port.

do you think is it possible to reflash the onboard memory (if not too small) and in case in future restore the LenovoEMCIomega firmware ?

thanks,

bye,

Alessandro

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2018 at 9:04 PM, netrider said:

Just installed xpenology with dsm 6.1 (ds3615) with juns loader 1.02b on the PX6-300d (6 drive NAS).  Pretty straight forward using this guide to boot from usb.  

After that it booted right up and installed DSM with the synology assistant.  Working good so far with no issues and all 6 bays can be utilized.

Netrider

Could you help me install this Xenology on my LenovoEMC PX4-400D?

23 hours ago, chiquito3 said:

Could you help me install this Xenology on my LenovoEMC PX4-400D?

where do you have problems with the installation, beside the added notes you follow the tutorial

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

you can try to user loader 1.03b 3615 or 3617 and install dsm 6.2.3 the steps are the same as in the tutorial for 6.1

your cpu is old but 64bit capable if you have at least 2GB ram (i guess 4GB is standard) it should work

i have not seen a spec that lists the network chip but most used 1Gbit cips are supported

On 12/23/2020 at 6:13 AM, IG-88 said:

where do you have problems with the installation, beside the added notes you follow the tutorial

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

you can try to user loader 1.03b 3615 or 3617 and install dsm 6.2.3 the steps are the same as in the tutorial for 6.1

your cpu is old but 64bit capable if you have at least 2GB ram (i guess 4GB is standard) it should work

i have not seen a spec that lists the network chip but most used 1Gbit cips are supported

Thanks for your answer! I managed to make the NAS boot from the USB Drive but is taking very long to finish. There is a message from Jun saying that the screen will stop updating shortly but it keeps going. The NAS has a blinking light.

I did not change the MAC1 in the GRUB file because I do not know where to get the NIC MAC address #1

Edited by chiquito3

28 minutes ago, chiquito3 said:

There is a message from Jun saying that the screen will stop updating shortly but it keeps going

That is all that is displayed.

29 minutes ago, chiquito3 said:

I did not change the MAC1 in the GRUB file because I do not know where to get the NIC MAC address #1

That is usually printed on the card itself.  Or you can install it into a regular PC and ipconfig /all search for Physical Address

59 minutes ago, flyride said:

That is all that is displayed.

That is usually printed on the card itself.  Or you can install it into a regular PC and ipconfig /all search for Physical Address

There was a sticker at the back of the NAS that had de NIC address for both ports.

The thing is I did not know that NIC meaning was Network interface card.

I did put both numbers but the process stays at the beginig and the NAS light keeps flashing.

12 hours ago, chiquito3 said:

The thing is I did not know that NIC meaning was Network interface card.

I did put both numbers but the process stays at the beginig and the NAS light keeps flashing.

having the the real mac address is needed for wake on lan and convenient  but its optional

the usb vid/pid (of the usb flsh drive used for booting) needs to be in the grub.cfg

if the loader looks like it starts then you would use synology assistant to find it in you network (or you check the dhcp server in you network, usually the internet router)

Edited by IG-88

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

having the the real mac address is needed for wake on lan and convenient  but its optiinal

the usb vid/pid (of the usb flsh drive used for booting) needs to be in the grub.cfg

if the loader looks like it starts then you would use synology assistant to find it in you network (or you check the dhcp server in you network, usually the internet router)

The thing is that the process stops where it says that the screen will stop updating and the NAS light keeps flashing for a long time and nothing happens.

59b7b67a7da5f_ScreenShot2017-09-12at5_25_20PM.jpg.94aada36cdc3023f6ef96ee5afa73292.jpg

- netif_num in grub.cfg is 1 but should be 2

- try both nic ports

- try loader 1.02b 3615 (1.03b does not support uefi, 1.02b does support both)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

- look for a serial port or a onboard connector for com1, the console output is switched to serial port and with this present and a null-modem-cable you could see whats going on

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

- netif_num in grub.cfg is 1 but should be 2

- try both nic ports

- try loader 1.02b 3615 (1.03b does not support uefi, 1.02b does support both)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

- look for a serial port or a onboard connector for com1, the console output is switched to serial port and with this present and a null-modem-cable you could see whats going on

Could you please point me in the right direction to download the correct image?

Everything I do brings the same results! I get till the same Happy Hacking screen but it stays there forever.

I'm a little frustrated. Any other suggestions?

This is what I'm doing:

1-I downloaded the DS3615 suggested image with loader 1.02b

2-Mount the image and edit the grub file as the image posted here.

3-Flash the modified image to my 32GB Sandisk USB Drive.

4-After the image is burned to the usb drive it ask me to format the drive for it to work so I do format it. There is nothing written about this step so Ihope to be doing it right.

5-Put the usb drive in one of the back ubs ports. I put just one hdd in the nas and then modify the bios to only boot from the usb drive.

6+-the it gets me to the Happy Hacking screen and that is it.

Edited by chiquito3

6 hours ago, chiquito3 said:

4-After the image is burned to the usb drive it ask me to format the drive for it to work so I do format it. There is nothing written about this step so Ihope to be doing it right.

no you dont want to format anything, the recent version of win10 cant hande things properly, the right thing to d is npthing, just use the win10 funktion to unmount the usb device

reads this for more information

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

On 12/26/2020 at 7:32 PM, IG-88 said:

no you dont want to format anything, the recent version of win10 cant hande things properly, the right thing to d is npthing, just use the win10 funktion to unmount the usb device

reads this for more information

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

I would try it again and let you know. Thanks again for taking the time to help complete noobs like me.

• 4 months later...
On 12/26/2020 at 11:48 PM, chiquito3 said:

5-Put the usb drive in one of the back ubs ports. I put just one hdd in the nas and then modify the bios to only boot from the usb drive.

Hi Chiquito3,

Does we need TTL-USB adapter to modify boot pri. in bios, or just plug VGA port to LCD display and mod as a PC ? Thank you!

• 2 years later...
On 5/16/2018 at 10:04 PM, netrider said:

Thank you very much netrider, I could install XPEnology on a Iomega NAS px4-300d (very similar to yours, but with just 4 disk drives). I am very glad with the change...

What I am looking for now, is the VGA bracket for these mainboards. 

Does anyone know the name (and where to buy) this kind of connector (I attach pictures)? It is a 16-pin header to connect a VGA bracket, used by Iomega on some NAS boards (for example, on StorCenter px4-300d and px6-300d).  The pins are very short (not the typical ones on old PC motherboards),  and are closer to each other (in two rows of 8 pins each).
The bracket needed is SIMILAR to the one that appears on this page: https://www.shuttle.eu/en/products/accessories/pvg01
However, the bracket shown there has 20 pins (two rows of 10 pins each), but the one needed on the Iomega NAS mainboards should have 16 pins.
Knowing the pinout would be an extra nice and useful achievement!

In case the pictures cannot be attached, they are online on:

https://deviwiki.com/w/images/6/65/Px6-300d_front.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/11ho7v8/lenovo_emc2_px6300d_help/

Px6-300d_front.jpg

Thank you very much in advance, dear community!
Regards,
GABRIEL

Iomega Lenovo px4-300d px6-300d mainboard - marked.jpg

Iomega Lenovo px4-300d px6-300d VGA miniature port.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...