XPEnology Community

Xpenology as a VM on Windows Server

Jord226

Hey guys, 

I'm new to Xpenology and I'm thinking of buying a Dell Poweredge R710 server to run Windows Server 2016 off and a few VM's within that on Hyper-V, this is depending on whether i can get Windows Server 2016 to run as according to Dells documentation Windows Server 2016 isn't supported for the R710. 

So i was wondering if this is possible given the current set up listed above? 

TIA

On 4.5.2018 at 6:25 PM, Jord226 said:

So i was wondering if this is possible given the current set up listed above? 

The installation and configuration of Windows Server 2016 on the R710 shouldn't be a problem. But you won't be lucky if you intend to run XPEnology in Hyper-V. Only DSM 5.2 runs in Hyper-V. An alternative would be ESXi as the "main" system. So you could run both - Server 2016 and XPEnology/DSM 6.X

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jensmander said:

The installation and configuration of Windows Server 2016 on the R710 shouldn't be a problem. But you won't be lucky if you intend to run XPEnology in Hyper-V. Only DSM 5.2 runs in Hyper-V. An alternative would be ESXi as the "main" system. So you could run both - Server 2016 and XPEnology/DSM 6.X

Ah ok thanks for pointing that out! I did think of running ESXi on it as well tbh so that sounds like the best option then :)

On 5/8/2018 at 9:24 PM, jensmander said:

Quick question, do you happen to know which version of ESXi works best for XPEnology/DSM 6.XX? 

7 hours ago, jensmander said:

Let us know if you've succeeded ;)

Yep got it all up and running nicely :) only problem I've found is transferring files to it via FTP, the uploads seem to keep pausing for about 10 seconds max and then continue and it keeps doing that until the file has finished uploading, is this a known problem or is there any way to fix it? I'm using the latest version of FileZilla as my FTP client.

9 hours ago, jensmander said:

Hm... usually not if you're connecting from inside the same LAN. Did you change anything in the settings within DSM?

Yep connecting within the same LAN and the only setting I've changed within DSM is to enable FTP lol