XPEnology Community

Install Win10 x64 via Virtual Machine Manager v2.3.0-8722

andrei7radu

Hello there.

I am trying to install Windows 10 x64 via Virtual Machine Manager v2.3.0-8722 (latest). I create the VM, the installation image starts, I can set-up the needed steps to select locale, disk location and copy Windows files, but after the "Finishing up" bla, bla and restart, I get the attached screen in the noVNC browser window. And that's all, no progress. In VMM, it appears "Running", but 0 CPU usage and no IP. If I refresh the page, it returns the "Failed to connect to server" red overlay  in the upper part, and no image.

I even tried a Kali image and on both "Install" and "Live run" I get errors (see the second attached screenshot).

I must mention that I am using the latest loader, running on DS3615xs with DSM 6.1.6-15266 Update 1. The machine is a HP XW4600 workstation.

Please help me out, any ideas are welcome.

Thank you in advance,

a7r

Screenshot-2018-4-21 Windows 10.png

Screenshot-2018-4-21 Kali.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have the same issue freazes at booting from hard disk

windows xp does install fine but vista windows 7 and windows 10 all hang on booting from hard disk have you managed to find a work around for this 

cheers lew

10 hours ago, Lewis said:

i have the same issue freazes at booting from hard disk

windows xp does install fine but vista windows 7 and windows 10 all hang on booting from hard disk have you managed to find a work around for this 

cheers lew

Heya. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet, It's becoming really annoying. I haven't tried a XP version of Windows, just 10. What hardware set-up do you have? Same HP workstation? I'm thinking that the problem comes from the BIOS or other backround thingy, even though I altered all the possible settings I have found related to virtualization and no go.

a7r

Hi im running a hp dl160 g6 with two Xeon e5506 proccessors and 8 gig ram it dosnt appear to be an issue with bios as i can get wondows 10 running if i install the ubunto live iso after i jave installed the failed windows 10 and dual boot the vm it is somwthing to do with how windows 10 installs its boot files that crashes the vm 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, Lewis said:

As per above now solved 

Update vm manager to latest version change bios setting to uefi and re install windows 10 

No longer hangs at booting from disk ...

Yeah, tested it and now it boots fine. Thank you again for the tip.

I see they've made some changes, including the adding of UEFI option and an open-source BIOS, so I think there were some issues on the original track.

One problem though - the Windows 10 (x64) 1803 VM is really slow, topping at 90-100 % CPU load almost anytime. From the booting process to the OS GUI, everything is really choked (even when I passed through the OS installation process). Tried with 2 procs, 4 procs, 2, 4 and 6 gigs of RAM. The RAM consumption iseems to be in the normal threshold, but the CPU is/looks overloaded.

Do you have any ideas of what might be done in order for the VM to run in normal conditions? Does it happens to anyone else? Thank you in advance.

a7r

Edited by andrei7radu

• 7 months later...

Hello there,

Sorry, but i need some help to install Windows on Virtual Machine Manager. The last version. I'm DSM 6.1.4 on a DL380 Gen 6.

I can install ubuntu, all is ok but i can't do it with Windows.

I choose Uefi, SATA. I cen install it but on reboot, i 'm either on "booting from hard disk" either, after change bios to uefi, i boot on shell and i can't do anything.

Can you help me please?

regards

• 3 months later...

I also get the same error when installing win 10 Pro.
- If BIOS is selected: UEFI ==> Windows Boot Manager error message.
- If choosing BIOS: Legacy BIOS => blue screen error
But when I installed win 7, it still works (I choose BIOS - if UEFI option is selected, it will hang in boot screen). Anyone with experience in handling this error please comment.
Thanks.
My Hardware:
Main: Asus Q170T
CPU: 6700T ES
Ram: 8G Ram

sorry english i was not good

1234.png

123.png

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone.

I have installed xpenology on a baremetal PC.

The DSM version is 6.1.7 update 3.

And I have installed the latest version of Virtual Machine manager (v2.3.5 -9030).

I'm trying to install Windows 7 and after making the first installation, the machine freezes on the below screen:

image.thumb.png.60426a795914f445471deea5b67f65f5.png

Does anyone have found a solution to this issue?

Please help!!!

Edited by ikofen
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Batman_25 said:

Why no more wasn't it strong enough

In fact it was strong (Q6600 and 8 GB of RAM), but I managed to aquire an I5 (4th generation) with the same amount of RAM tower and I wanted to use the latest DSM available and the Haswell set-up gave me this opportunity.

a7r

Edited by andrei7radu
added RAM capacity

16 hours ago, Batman_25 said:

What loader 1.04b on the xw4600?

1.04b is only 918+ and accourding to the cpu support its to old for this type (4th gen intel, haswell minimum)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01683078

1 hour ago, andrei7radu said:

I wanted to use the latest DSM available and the Haswell set-up gave me this opportunity.

dsm 6.2.2 is also available for 3615/17 so even a older system can run the "latest" dsm

when it comes to m.2 nvme and hardware transcoding of videos then 918+ will be the choice, 918+ also has a newer kernel but you will not recognise it for now when it comes to driver support

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Batman_25 said:

Can dsm 918 have more than four drives? The real thing onlys has 4

The real thing can take up to 9 drives with the 5 drive expansion bay... but like IG-88 said, in XPenology that limit can be overcome by editing a config file.

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2019 at 10:09 AM, nqn_vnn said:

I also get the same error when installing win 10 Pro.
- If BIOS is selected: UEFI ==> Windows Boot Manager error message.
- If choosing BIOS: Legacy BIOS => blue screen error
But when I installed win 7, it still works (I choose BIOS - if UEFI option is selected, it will hang in boot screen). Anyone with experience in handling this error please comment.
Thanks.
My Hardware:
Main: Asus Q170T
CPU: 6700T ES
Ram: 8G Ram

sorry english i was not good

1234.png

123.png

Hello. did you manage to solve the problem?

2 hours ago, tdse13 said:

With my setup WIN 10 Pro is running (slowly but smoohtly) both in 32 and 64 versions with legacy bios. My setup: J4105 board  918+ with 1.04b loader.

hp microserver g10plus Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2236 32GB DS3617XS

win7 work greate, but win 10 not install, i try any version. legacy and uefi bios

• 6 months later...