andrei7radu

Install Win10 x64 via Virtual Machine Manager v2.3.0-8722

Hello there.

I am trying to install Windows 10 x64 via Virtual Machine Manager v2.3.0-8722 (latest). I create the VM, the installation image starts, I can set-up the needed steps to select locale, disk location and copy Windows files, but after the "Finishing up" bla, bla and restart, I get the attached screen in the noVNC browser window. And that's all, no progress. In VMM, it appears "Running", but 0 CPU usage and no IP. If I refresh the page, it returns the "Failed to connect to server" red overlay  in the upper part, and no image.

I even tried a Kali image and on both "Install" and "Live run" I get errors (see the second attached screenshot).

I must mention that I am using the latest loader, running on DS3615xs with DSM 6.1.6-15266 Update 1. The machine is a HP XW4600 workstation.

Please help me out, any ideas are welcome.

Thank you in advance,

a7r

Screenshot-2018-4-21 Windows 10.png

Screenshot-2018-4-21 Kali.png

i have the same issue freazes at booting from hard disk

windows xp does install fine but vista windows 7 and windows 10 all hang on booting from hard disk have you managed to find a work around for this 

cheers lew

10 hours ago, Lewis said:

i have the same issue freazes at booting from hard disk

windows xp does install fine but vista windows 7 and windows 10 all hang on booting from hard disk have you managed to find a work around for this 

cheers lew

Heya. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet, It's becoming really annoying. I haven't tried a XP version of Windows, just 10. What hardware set-up do you have? Same HP workstation? I'm thinking that the problem comes from the BIOS or other backround thingy, even though I altered all the possible settings I have found related to virtualization and no go.

a7r

Hi im running a hp dl160 g6 with two Xeon e5506 proccessors and 8 gig ram it dosnt appear to be an issue with bios as i can get wondows 10 running if i install the ubunto live iso after i jave installed the failed windows 10 and dual boot the vm it is somwthing to do with how windows 10 installs its boot files that crashes the vm 

As per above now solved 

Update vm manager to latest version change bios setting to uefi and re install windows 10 

No longer hangs at booting from disk ...

Heya, thanks for the good news. I was almost giving up on this matter. I'll give it a try. Cheers mate.

a7r

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, Lewis said:

As per above now solved 

Update vm manager to latest version change bios setting to uefi and re install windows 10 

No longer hangs at booting from disk ...

Yeah, tested it and now it boots fine. Thank you again for the tip.

I see they've made some changes, including the adding of UEFI option and an open-source BIOS, so I think there were some issues on the original track.

One problem though - the Windows 10 (x64) 1803 VM is really slow, topping at 90-100 % CPU load almost anytime. From the booting process to the OS GUI, everything is really choked (even when I passed through the OS installation process). Tried with 2 procs, 4 procs, 2, 4 and 6 gigs of RAM. The RAM consumption iseems to be in the normal threshold, but the CPU is/looks overloaded.

Do you have any ideas of what might be done in order for the VM to run in normal conditions? Does it happens to anyone else? Thank you in advance.

a7r

Edited by andrei7radu