XPEnology Community

how to reset without loosing data?

jbesclapez

Question

Hello,

I would like to reset the server without loosing the data.  Everywhere it is written to use a paper clip on the back of the server, but as I have an Xpenology, how would I do that?

In the control panel, there is a factory reset button : "Erase All Data"... but it worries me to do that as it is "All data", so i presume all my settings.

Thanks for your help

4 answers to this question

What exactly are you trying to reset? You can reset to default settings from Control Panel within DSM, with no risk to data. [Edited by Polanskiman]

Also this will work:

sudo /usr/syno/sbin/synodsdefault --reset-config

Options:

Synology DS Default Reset Util.
Usage: synodsdefault
  --reset-config      Reset DSM configs.
  --reinstall         Reset to reinstall DSM.
  --factory-default   Reset to brand new DSM. Include remove all data volumes.
  --help              Show this help.

Edited by Polanskiman
Edited erroneous and dangerous statement
  • Thanks 1

@jbesclapez Please read below.

On 4/12/2018 at 6:51 AM, flyride said:
You can reset to default settings from Control Panel within DSM, with no risk to data.

That is incorrect and a dangerous advice to give specially on an XPEnology box. Reseting from the DSM's Control Panel > Update & Restore > Reset will not only reset settings but ERASE ALL USER DATA. Be careful with the advice you provide. I have edited your post accordingly so that people don't go down that path.    

The only way your data would be safe is if you had a real Synology box. Then you would also need to press the reset button located at the back of the box twice within a determined time frame to have your data preserved. More info here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/How_to_reset_your_Synology_NAS

The rest of your post is nonetheless good and I will make a FAQ about it as it could be useful to some people.