XPEnology Community

HELP, Installed 6.2beta on the wrong server

DrEVILish

I couldn't think of a place to put this.

I screwed up, I wanted to test the 6.2beta, and installed it on the wrong server. I now can't get my semi-production server to boot Xpenology back up.

Originally installed with ds3617xs on an Dell R510 LSI HBA 8i card (non RAID), install went well however on reboot the server gave "No Hard Disk found on DS3617xs." Synology Assistant says "Not Installed".

Took out the USB reimaged with the appropriate Jun Loader, 1.02b. Didn't' work. Was suggested to try ds3615xs and that gave the same issue as before, but before it did that it gave me the option to "Migrate" which I clicked performed the DSM_23648.pat installation and again got "No Hard Disk found on DS3617xs".

I currently have 30TB+ of data inaccessible. Which I can't afford backups for at this moment in time.

Anyone with the brain power to get this to boot or force it into a downgrade to 6.1.x?

Many Thanks,

I've used the 'clean drive' method to downgrade in these situations'

1) Disconnect your raid drives

2) Connect spare HDD to SATA port 1

3) Install DSM 6.x from fresh 1.02b loader, create admin user and server name matching live system, DONT create volume/raid. Update DSM to match your pre-beta version

4) Shutdown, reconnect raid drives to SATA ports 2-n

5) Boot, login, repair system partitions on raid, shutdown

6) Remove spare HDD and reconnect raid drives to SATA ports 1-n

7) Boot, repair packages etc

I've used this method several times and it works fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can also use this tutorial I made to access the system partition with live linux/ubuntu and modify the \etc.defaults\VERSION file to match your pre-upgrade version. Then proceed to re-image your usb key with v1.02b and use the pre-upgrade DSM PAT version file to install. You should then be given the option to migrate during the installation process.

Both ways, the one from @sbv3000 or the one I explained will achieve the same result. If you don't have an extra HDD then use my method. sbv300's method involves more steps but has the advantage of being more friendly if you are not linux savvy. It will also save you the need to edit a system file as well as create a live ubuntu key.

This is a generic downgrade guide useful if you still have SSH access but obviously you don't. At least read it to understand the process.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 5:24 PM, sbv3000 said:

I've used the 'clean drive' method to downgrade in these situations'

1) Disconnect your raid drives

2) Connect spare HDD to SATA port 1

3) Install DSM 6.x from fresh 1.02b loader, create admin user and server name matching live system, DONT create volume/raid. Update DSM to match your pre-beta version

4) Shutdown, reconnect raid drives to SATA ports 2-n

5) Boot, login, repair system partitions on raid, shutdown

6) Remove spare HDD and reconnect raid drives to SATA ports 1-n

7) Boot, repair packages etc

I've used this method several times and it works fine

sbv3000, I want to thank you for your contribution to this forum.  I wasn't paying attention and upgraded my Xpenology NAS to v6.2 and bricked it.  I went on the forum and saw where it stated DO NOT upgrade to 6.2  That was when the panic set in.  I researched and tried many methods to downgrade back to v6.1 and found your posting.  IT WORKED!!!  You saved me 14tb of movies, music, software, documents, and backups.  I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your contribution.  Thank you again. :D

Edited by rkwallace

• 2 years later...