XPEnology Community

Is Core 2 Duo E7500 good for Xpenology

Hi All, 

I am new to Xpenology. Was running a HP N36L with 4x2TB Seagate drivers as a home server with Windows Server 2008 R2. However, the HDDs are going to die soon. Therefore, I have bought two 8TB HDDs to build another server. But I heard of HP N36L does not support large HDDs. Therefore, I am considering using an old machine (collecting dust) around the house to build a Xpenology box to replace the home server. The configuration of the old machine is Core 2 Duo E7500 (maybe E7600, but not sure. No significant difference here), 8GB memory, Gigabyte X38-DQ6 mobo, AMD Raiden 4550 graphic card. I wandering this configuration is good enough for epenology and what DSM loader I should go with.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Kind regards,

Chris

Should work. CPU, disk controller and network controller are supported. You might need the custom ramdisk (extra.lzma) for the network controller to work though. You can pick it up from here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

There is no need for a graphic card but I see that board doesn't even have an integrated video controller so you might need it to see bios and grub menu. I recommend though using a very basic video card as it will not be used at all other than for what I just mentioned.

The best way to find out if your setup works is to test it.