XPEnology Community

Lan connection going missing

neeiro

Question

I have a problem with the network connections ive got 4 lan ports which work fine on a clean install.

If a Create a bonded connection it won't let me use the 4th lan port, I can create a 2 port bond on lan 1 & 2 but if I try and create one on 3&4 it goes through the motions and says bond 2 but doesn't actually create one, if I then delete the bond the 4th lan is lost. It looks like its assigning a different MAC address to the deleted bonded lan connections. 

Any Ideas, I'm guessing my config file is fine as everything initially works.

4 answers to this question

What type of link aggregation are you creating?

If you are creating a IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation this requires your switch/routeur to support IEEE 802.3ad. It also needs to be configured on your switch/routeur prior being configured in DSM.

Are all your NICs the same model?

Did you read this? https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/connection_network_linkaggr

I'm just using the adaptive load balancing options.

The nics are all on the same PCIe card.

Yes I've read the link - if I delete a bond then I lose a lan port (not shown on the list and the status lights on the hardware are off on one port) - the nics are given a new mac address and the DSM doesn't show up on the network.

I'm going to try a fresh install to see if it solves the problems.

Yes - I've done a complete reinstall with a new serial in the loader and it seems to have solved the problem - not sure why!! Wondering is they was some settings from the old install getting through somehow (I was having problems with the virtual Machine as well which seems to have been solved too)