XPEnology Community

Generate Mac address from a real serial number

Xylex

Firstly, my apologies if this has been answered already. Ive been unable to get a clear answer here for days.

I have a valid serial number from a DS3615xs that had died, and I never got around to RMAing before it was lost for good.

I have a DSM 6.1.5 Virtual machine on ESXI 6.0.

I am trying to get a clear understanding of how a Mac addresses are derived from a Serial number.
Ive gone over the discussions and tools out there for it, but it seems all of them assume a generated serial number, and not one that I already have.

Any information you guys can give will be extremely helpful.

MAC addresses are not derived from S/N. They are matched by Synology so only Synology knows what the match is. Currently all generated SN are invalidated by Synology.

You could use the S/N and the MAC addresses from your real Synology box and edit the grub.cfg file accordingly and then try running DSM. However this is something I have said many times. Doing so does not equate to your DSM install being legit. The terms and conditions laid out by Synology are clear. DSM is supposed to be run on their hardware and that's it. So even if you have real legit SN and MAC addresses because you have an old Synology box it doesn't mean using those will make your DSM install legit also.

2 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

MAC addresses are not derived from S/N. They are matched by Synology so only Synology knows what the match is. Currently all generated SN are invalidated by Synology.

You could use the S/N and the MAC addresses from your real Synology box and edit the grub.cfg file accordingly and then try running DSM. However this is something I have said many times. Doing so does not equate to your DSM install being legit. The terms and conditions laid out by Synology are clear. DSM is supposed to be run on their hardware and that's it. So even if you have real legit SN and MAC addresses because you have an old Synology box it doesn't mean using those will make your DSM install legit also.

My apologies, I was under the impression there was some pattern found between the S/N and the Mac address.

I only have the serial number unfortunately. The original DiskStation was lost.

I am aware of the legitimacy behind using a VM versus the actual, original hardware and I am fine with that.

That being said, I would like some clarity on how SNs and Macs are generated currently. There is a structure behind it that I'd like to understand so I can try to generate my own Mac addresses, with the serial number I currently have.

In principle any use of a generated or 're-purposed' S/N or MAC is a breach of Synology T&Cs, which is why its discouraged by the forum. Valid S/Ns & MACs are usually associated with using Syno servers for a service (quick connect or authenticating a third party service like Amazon Drive or HubIc) but thats because you are using their systems and those are 'funded' by a genuine hardware purchase. If you dont need QC or other services, any numbers will do, if you do then - well... There are alternatives to using Syno services if you research.  I use DDNS instead of QC and a remote rsync server (DDNS) for backup. In my experience its the S/N that seems more critical.

2 hours ago, Xylex said:

My apologies, I was under the impression there was some pattern found between the S/N and the Mac address.

I only have the serial number unfortunately. The original DiskStation was lost.

I am aware of the legitimacy behind using a VM versus the actual, original hardware and I am fine with that.

That being said, I would like some clarity on how SNs and Macs are generated currently. There is a structure behind it that I'd like to understand so I can try to generate my own Mac addresses, with the serial number I currently have.

As I said there is no link, at least no link that any generator has been able to reproduce. Use google to to find serial generators. There is a plethora of websites providing those generators including source code so you can easily see how it works. You will also find the original Excel file where all this serial generation frenzy started. MAC addresses are usually randomized while keeping the first 4 pairs 00:11:32 because those are attributed to Synology as a vendor.

But for you information there is no point whatsoever unless the purpose is purely academical. Using your real MAC addresses will result in the same thing and is the best route you can take.

On 4.4.2018 at 1:12 PM, Xylex said:

Firstly, my apologies if this has been answered already. Ive been unable to get a clear answer here for days.

I have a valid serial number from a DS3615xs that had died, and I never got around to RMAing before it was lost for good.

I have a DSM 6.1.5 Virtual machine on ESXI 6.0.

I am trying to get a clear understanding of how a Mac addresses are derived from a Serial number.
Ive gone over the discussions and tools out there for it, but it seems all of them assume a generated serial number, and not one that I already have.

Any information you guys can give will be extremely helpful.

I have tried the same thing, I have an old Synology box. Using the serial number and MAC does not give you access to QuickConnect and of course even if it would it would be a violation of a bunch of Synology policies. I just thought I put that information out here so it saves other people the trouble of even trying. So far every software package runs fine and I have not found any limitation besides QuickConnect.

Stephan

• 4 years later...

This post is from 4 years ago but I have to say that even it is a violation of Synology Terms, each one can do whatever he want.

We do not provide any tutorial or info.

Im not going to post the way but I have to say that is totally possible to use a real SN and a real MAC with xpenology on DSM 6 or 7.

Thanks

Edited by viktortrass
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

Hi viktor, 

By any chance, do you know how to change the MAC address of the real synology NAS? Mine got corrupted and I was able to recover from using one image from a Russian user. I could change the serial number in the VENDER file, now it has the original one, but don't know where/how to do with the MAC address.

Thanks