XPEnology Community

How to play around with HDD Mapping with SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap

happynuts

Background:

Fresh installation, loader is 1.02b

Chips for  2 port extender ASM1061. 

Chips for  4 port extender Marvell 9215

When you use PCIE (or Mini-PCIE) sata extender , the HDD slot may not be follow the sequence

For example. It gives HDD#1,2,5,6 instead of HDD#1,2,3,4

I did some reading in below links

https://github.com/evolver56k/xpenology/blob/master/synoconfigs/Kconfig.devices

It shows there are  three command may help to re-arrange the HDD slot in order. 

SataPortMap is define number of sata ports each of the sata host controller has

DiskIdxMap defines first sata port number for each  of the sata host controller

sata_remap can help re-arrange SATAslot sequence ( not sure can re-arrange across different host or not)

I have tried play around with above three command with different setting. But didn't work out. 

Because there isn't any successful examples that I have find. 

Can any one share their successful examples

I have 3 scenario need to solve.

Scenario#1

Motherboard has 2 sata port  #1 and #2 . PCIE extender 2 sata ports

DSM shows HDD #1,2,5,6 (skipped 3,4)

How to configure so that it shows HDD#1,2,3,4

Scenario#2

Motherboard has 4 sata  #1-#4 . PCIE extender 4 sata ports

DSM shows HDD #1,3,5,6 (skipped 2,4). for 4 ports from motherboard, and HDD#7,8,9,10 for 4 ports from PCIE extender

I suspected this MotherBoard has 3 sata controller on it. I tried to config SataPortMap = 1124, but it didnt worked out

How to configure so that it shows HDD#1,2,3,4 (MB),5,6,7,8 (PCIE)

Scenario#3

Motherboard has 4 sata  #1-#4 . PCIE extender 2 sata ports

When no PCIE extender connected. DSM shows HDD#1,2,3,4 (from MB)

Once PCIE extender is connected. DSM shows HDD#1,2 (from MB), 3,4(from extender), 5,6 (from MB)

It's like sata extender pushing port #3,4 to position of port #5,6

I suspected somehow the extender sata host has higher priority than the 2nd host on motherboard

How to configure so that it shows HDD#1,2,3,4 (From MB) ,5,6 (from extender) ?

Thanks a lot for reading and helping.

• Thanks 1

If you have access to all your drives in all use cases, and you aren't out of total slots, why does the numbering and order matter to you?  It doesn't matter to DSM as it writes a GUID to each partition.

SATAPortMap is normally used to gain access to disk slots that aren't accessible with the default detection.

I would investigate how many unique controllers that DSM actually perceives (lspci, evaluate udev table, etc).  Without that knowledge it is hard to determine what port map to use.

If scenario #1 has two logical disk controllers, try SATAPortMap=22 and see what happens.  I don't think you can use it to address Scenarios #2 or #3.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, flyride said:

If you have access to all your drives in all use cases, and you aren't out of total slots, why does the numbering and order matter to you?  It doesn't matter to DSM as it writes a GUID to each partition.

SATAPortMap is normally used to gain access to disk slots that aren't accessible with the default detection.

I would investigate how many unique controllers that DSM actually perceives (lspci, evaluate udev table, etc).  Without that knowledge it is hard to determine what port map to use.

If scenario #1 has two logical disk controllers, try SATAPortMap=22 and see what happens.  I don't think you can use it to address Scenarios #2 or #3.

Thanks a lot for reply for my long scenarios and questions

I were compelled to see them nice and in order. otherwise feel very uncomfortable

I also see most of people talking about sataPortMap. but seldom mention able DiskIdxMap and Sata_remap

Do you know if two these command help?

hallo,

whats systemboards you are talking about exactly

from your link and the fact you already tried SataPortMap without success it seems sata_remap would be the one to use

[from]>[to] and : as seperator

for scenario 1 that would be

sata_remap=5>3:6>4