XPEnology Community

Live TV recording setup with DBV-T2 device

I created 2 somewhat separate topics (see below) hoping to find answers to a broader issue I am facing. The problem is I have more questions now.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12446-tvheadend-installation-issues/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12431-dvb-t2-dongle/

I think it is best if I expose what I want to achieve. That way I might have more complete answers.

So I have like all of you guys an XPEnology Box along with an Nvidia Shield TV (2017). I would like to be able to see live TV and record on the NAS. For that I need a tuner. Here comes the problem:

There doesn't seem to be cheap, natively compatible tuners with DS3615xs. Only expensive ones like the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD or the PCTV DVB-T2 290e. Those that are cheap require module compiling and I do not want to go down that path as we all know what that means in terms of being future proof. Additionally Synology has clearly stated that DTV Dongle drivers will not longer be update starting DSM 6.2 so even buying expensive USB dongles does not guaranty anything. This leads me to think the following. Maybe it would be best to go for a tuner that is compatible with my Nvidia Shield TV. Basically there are only two namely the HD HomeRun Connect from Silicon Dust (100USD) and the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB tuner (70 USD). We are back to square one: price.

Nvidia said they will support more Tuners and possibly single tuners. If that happens then I guess I will take that path but the question remains: How do I use my NAS to store live TV since the tuner would be connected to the Nvidia Shield. Is there are way to use the NAS as a storage for DVR while having the tuner connected to the Shield?

I just purchased one of these (DVBT2 version), http://vboxcomm.com looks similar to the HD Homerun, but according to the spec you can stream to most devices and record to mounted NAS drive

It arrives on the 4th April!

Not as cheap as the other devices you mention, but I'm hoping to get something similar to what you are doing, to replace my setup that has the same hauppauge tuner you are looking at combined with DBVlogic apps, which is getting 'tired' on the slow PC I'm using.

Will report more if you are interested.

Yes interested. Let me know how it goes. I am curious to know how it plays with the NAS. This vboxcomm seems similar to the HD HomeRun Connect from Silicon Dust but the later needs the HD HomeRun DVR software or TVheadend on DSM to record. Why didn't you go with the HDHomeRun?

the main reason was I didnt find the home run in my research :) But looking at the spec, having to pay for a pvr service would have made me look elsewhere. Also even if that was not the case, the vbox looks more 'EU centric' rather than the US home run, so 1) possibly better support for an EU buyer, and also 2) paying import duty/vat. And it has a built in DVBT2 dual tuner, so no dongle?

When its installed I'll let you know more.

maybe Minisatip is a possible solution?

it's an open source software implementing a SAT>IP server application that runs under Linux

did try this to use my quad dvb-s2 pci-e card in media pc for tvheadend on my dsm 6.1 but finaly anded with a Telestar Digibit R1 with custom firmware from usb also using Minisatip

Edited by IG-88

7 hours ago, IG-88 said:

maybe Minisatip is a possible solution?

it's an open source software implementing a SAT>IP server application that runs under Linux

did try this to use my quad dvb-s2 pci-e card in media pc for tvheadend on my dsm 6.1 but finaly anded with a Telestar Digibit R1 with custom firmware from usb also using Minisatip

I fail to fully grasp how that answers my question about the NAS being the storage host while the Nvidia Shield TV being the tuner host. Maybe I miss something. Care to elaborate? Also I do not use satellite tv but terrestrial.

I've installed the VBox DVBT2 - and with early testing it has the usual mixture of quirks

Excellent setup, well laid out interface via a web browser. Recording path to a NAS is samba with IP address/folder path, user/password so on the NAS I created an account and recording folder with permissions etc - records SD and HD fine (on my gig lan snmp traffic shows a 1080p recording stream is 2-3 Mbit traffic from the vbox to the nas) A 10 minute test recording at 1080p created a file about 670mb. Files are MP4 container with 5 channel surround (if part of the stream) and subtitles (ditto)

iOS app works slow but fine on my older ipad, but the android app crashes on anything I've tried.

Dont have A Shield so can't speak for that, but DLNA streaming to VLC seems fine, that plugin is needed for PC/web streaming of channels.

Hope thats useful, more as I experiment

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

I fail to fully grasp how that answers my question about the NAS being the storage host while the Nvidia Shield TV being the tuner host. Maybe I miss something. Care to elaborate? Also I do not use satellite tv but terrestrial.

sat>ip can be used with all kinds of dvb, not just dvb-s/s2

minisatip is a software solution to build your own sat>ip server, when using a linux base (it does not has to be x86, can be ARM too, like a raspi i guess), that way you could just use any dvb-t2 stick that works with the linux you install, the sat>ip can be used by tvheadend over network and the shield gets its signal from tvheadend as long as its not recording (with just one tuner there are limits), in theory with more tuners you can assign one tuner to dsm/tvheadend and have another network device (the shield) use the other tuner directly (without tvheadend), but i guess its better to assign all resourcses to tvheadend and use tvheadend for recording and streaming

you get minisatip for lots of platforms, you could even use a router as base system (when you manage to  install dvb drivers)

https://freetoairamerica.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/minisatip-a-possible-way-to-extend-the-distance-between-a-satellite-dish-and-your-tvheadend-or-other-backend-server/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

sat>ip can be used with all kinds of dvb, not just dvb-s/s2
minisatip is a software solution to build your own sat>ip server, when using a linux base (it does not has to be x86, can be ARM too, like a raspi i guess), that way you could just use any dvb-t2 stick that works with the linux you install, the sat>ip can be used by tvheadend over network and the shield gets its signal from tvheadend as long as its not recording (with just one tuner there are limits), in theory with more tuners you can assign one tuner to dsm/tvheadend and have another network device (the shield) use the other tuner directly (without tvheadend), but i guess its better to assign all resourcses to tvheadend and use tvheadend for recording and streaming
you get minisatip for lots of platforms, you could even use a router as base system (when you manage to  install dvb drivers)
https://freetoairamerica.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/minisatip-a-possible-way-to-extend-the-distance-between-a-satellite-dish-and-your-tvheadend-or-other-backend-server/

Thanks. I had read that article yesterday but thought that it only applied to satelite. Good to know it doesn’t. What you describe could be a solution but that means I need yet another device (rasp pi for example) and that’s really something I want to avoid. Already too many devices to think about just don’t want to add yet another one in my home. Nvidia should have made the Shield with a tuner and that would have been the perfect device :) but I guess we live in an unperfect world.

17 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

I've installed the VBox DVBT2 - and with early testing it has the usual mixture of quirks

Excellent setup, well laid out interface via a web browser. Recording path to a NAS is samba with IP address/folder path, user/password so on the NAS I created an account and recording folder with permissions etc - records SD and HD fine (on my gig lan snmp traffic shows a 1080p recording stream is 2-3 Mbit traffic from the vbox to the nas) A 10 minute test recording at 1080p created a file about 670mb. Files are MP4 container with 5 channel surround (if part of the stream) and subtitles (ditto)

iOS app works slow but fine on my older ipad, but the android app crashes on anything I've tried.

Dont have A Shield so can't speak for that, but DLNA streaming to VLC seems fine, that plugin is needed for PC/web streaming of channels.

Hope thats useful, more as I experiment

I have been reading their forum quite a bit and their devices seem to be still very buggy, at least the software that comes with it.

The android app crashing might be a firmware issue. You might want to update it.

17 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Nvidia should have made the Shield with a tuner and that would have been the perfect device :) but I guess we live in an unperfect world.

maybe the shield is the problem? ;-)

in the end i replaced my htpc with a sat>ip box (digibit r1, quad dvb-s2) and a odroid-c2 (more capable then raspi and ready made image from LibreELEC, also better driver support), recording and streaming is done by the xpenology box (tvheadend), so the xpenology is now the htpc but without the tuners and without the "head"

if you ditch your shield and use something like a device with a more open linux distribution your choice of dvb-t2 usb devices might be higher (cheaper devices) but that would not solve your recording problem

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/998-dvb-t2-usb-stick-advice/

https://libreelec.tv/downloads/odroid-c2/

13 hours ago, IG-88 said:

maybe the shield is the problem? ;-)

in the end i replaced my htpc with a sat>ip box (digibit r1, quad dvb-s2) and a odroid-c2 (more capable then raspi and ready made image from LibreELEC, also better driver support), recording and streaming is done by the xpenology box (tvheadend), so the xpenology is now the htpc but without the tuners and without the "head"

if you ditch your shield and use something like a device with a more open linux distribution your choice of dvb-t2 usb devices might be higher (cheaper devices) but that would not solve your recording problem

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/998-dvb-t2-usb-stick-advice/

https://libreelec.tv/downloads/odroid-c2/

Thanks. Perhaps all open source and cheap but as you said doesn't solve my problem. The NAS in my opinion should be used for what it is, a NAS and all these set ups should be able to record on a NAS. Actually it seems the Shield might be able to do that as there is network storage option. I'll dig deeper.

Ditch the Shield? :D Man that's a 200++ USD box less than a year old. I like fiddling with hardware but I'll wait a bit before getting rid of the Shield. :P 

@Polanskiman,

Why do you need to record from the tuner?

Why not to record directly from the ip-tv streaming source?

Ok, if you really need it, i'll tell you my short story. You must check your tv for this possibility.

I have an old (2010 year) Samsung TV C-series. Most of TVs are linux based.

So I managed to get root and console (telnet).

I have plugged an 128 mb usb stick (smallest I found), created an empty folder on it and mounted a network share on it, so I could pick up the movies from my nas via smb protocol and also to write the recordings there directly from the build-in tuner.

Just one of ideas :D, because I hate when there is many additional devices.

52 minutes ago, kurianov said:

@Polanskiman,

Why do you need to record from the tuner?

Why not to record directly from the ip-tv streaming source?

Ok, if you really need it, i'll tell you my short story. You must check your tv for this possibility.

I have an old (2010 year) Samsung TV C-series. Most of TVs are linux based.

So I managed to get root and console (telnet).

I have plugged an 128 mb usb stick (smallest I found), created an empty folder on it and mounted a network share on it, so I could pick up the movies from my nas via smb protocol and also to write the recordings there directly from the build-in tuner.

Just one of ideas :D, because I hate when there is many additional devices.

Nice. But not sure I understand that. I want to save all recording on my NAS. My TV does not have a network port also.

4 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

I want to save all recording on my NAS. My TV does not have a network port also.

in the end there seem to be two scenarios, dvb-t2 usb on shield (using nfs or smb/cifs to record to nas storage) or dvb-t2 usb on nas (with tvheadend, streaming live-tv to shield)

as we know about the limits of DSM pretty well it looks like you will have to dig deeper on the shield, maybe changing the software on it to a more open linux that has better/full driver support for dvb usb solutions or just shell out 50 bucks more for a dsm or shield "compatible" dvb-t2 stick and spare yourself days of tinkering (or fun?)

30 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

in the end there seem to be two scenarios, dvb-t2 usb on shield (using nfs or smb/cifs to record to nas storage) or dvb-t2 usb on nas (with tvheadend, streaming live-tv to shield)

as we know about the limits of DSM pretty well it looks like you will have to dig deeper on the shield, maybe changing the software on it to a more open linux that has better/full driver support for dvb usb solutions or just shell out 50 bucks more for a dsm or shield "compatible" dvb-t2 stick and spare yourself days of tinkering (or fun?)

Yes I think I will work something around the Shield. I will report when/if I find a final solution so to share it with the community.

• 2 months later...
On 03/04/2018 at 12:46 PM, Polanskiman said:

There doesn't seem to be cheap, natively compatible tuners with DS3615xs. Only expensive ones like the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD or the PCTV DVB-T2 290e. Those that are cheap require module compiling and I do not want to go down that path as we all know what that means in terms of being future proof. Additionally Synology has clearly stated that DTV Dongle drivers will not longer be update starting DSM 6.2 so even buying expensive USB dongles does not guaranty anything. This leads me to think the following. Maybe it would be best to go for a tuner that is compatible with my Nvidia Shield TV. Basically there are only two namely the HD HomeRun Connect from Silicon Dust (100USD) and the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB tuner (70 USD). We are back to square one: price.

Nvidia said they will support more Tuners and possibly single tuners. If that happens then I guess I will take that path but the question remains: How do I use my NAS to store live TV since the tuner would be connected to the Nvidia Shield. Is there are way to use the NAS as a storage for DVR while having the tuner connected to the Shield?

I purchased Hauppauge WinTV DualHD (Model 1590)

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/webstore/webstore_dualhd.html

No native support on DS3615xs - 6.1.7.15284

Tried Plex (x86 & x64) on DSM, tvheadend on DSM - no USB tuner detected

Docker Plex and Docker tvheadend - I could not get USB passthrough to work on Docker

lsusb

|__usb1          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0) hub
  |__1-1         8087:0024:0000 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  ( ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffad) hub
|__usb2          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0) hub
  |__2-1         8087:0024:0000 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  ( ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffa0) hub
|__usb3          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0) hub
  |__3-4         2040:0265:0100 00  2.00  480MBit/s 500mA 1IF  (HCW dualHD 0013974388)
|__usb4          1d6b:0003:0310 09  3.00 5000MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0) hub
  |__4-2         f400:f400:0100 00  3.00 5000MBit/s 896mA 1IF  (SanDisk Ultra Fit 4C530001230229116042)

dmesg | grep 'usb'

[    2.962182] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    2.962235] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    2.962328] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[    2.962412] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[    3.020742] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[    3.303051] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[    3.561985] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[    3.697319] drivers/usb/core/hub.c (2679) Same device found. Change serial to ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffa0
[    5.895471] usb 3-4: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[    7.134252] usb 4-2: new SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[    7.146537] usb-storage 4-2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[    7.146571] scsi5 : usb-storage 4-2:1.0
[   45.097837] usbcore: registered new interface driver ax88179_178a
[   57.513754] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
[   57.544708] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[   57.544711] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[  242.897345] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  243.166275] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  243.379206] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  245.385787] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  245.873656] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  246.133593] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd

Now - running VM Ubuntu 18.04 on DSM Virtual Machine Manager

Had to install Mediatree kernel - following Hauppauge Support Instructions - so that the USB tuner can be detected properly by the OS.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_linux.html

Ubuntu 18.04 - now detects the USB tuner - both Plex and tvheadend works - I have settled for Plex (as I have PlexPass) and Nvidia Shield TV 2017 - this combo is working well.

I could have went Ubuntu 18.04 - tvheadend / Nvdia Shield TV - Kodi (tvheadend client) - incurring no software cost.

Although this works, the VM is consuming alot of resources (my DSM box is i7-3770S | 8GB RAM) and I would like a better solution which uses less resources.

I will try the following... (as I want to native DSM Plex Package or Docker Plex)

1) mediatree backport on DSM kernel 'Linux DiskStation 3.10.102 #15284' on 6.1.7

2) mediatree backport on DSM kernel 'Linux DiskStation 4.4' on DSM 6.2

Has anyone tried this or have a better solution - please share.

Edited by toker

• 5 years later...
On 6/29/2018 at 5:39 PM, toker said:

I purchased Hauppauge WinTV DualHD (Model 1590)

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/webstore/webstore_dualhd.html

No native support on DS3615xs - 6.1.7.15284

Tried Plex (x86 & x64) on DSM, tvheadend on DSM - no USB tuner detected

Docker Plex and Docker tvheadend - I could not get USB passthrough to work on Docker

lsusb

|__usb1          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0) hub
  |__1-1         8087:0024:0000 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  ( ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffad) hub
|__usb2          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0) hub
  |__2-1         8087:0024:0000 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  ( ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffa0) hub
|__usb3          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0) hub
  |__3-4         2040:0265:0100 00  2.00  480MBit/s 500mA 1IF  (HCW dualHD 0013974388)
|__usb4          1d6b:0003:0310 09  3.00 5000MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0) hub
  |__4-2         f400:f400:0100 00  3.00 5000MBit/s 896mA 1IF  (SanDisk Ultra Fit 4C530001230229116042)

dmesg | grep 'usb'

[    2.962182] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    2.962235] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    2.962328] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[    2.962412] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[    3.020742] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[    3.303051] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[    3.561985] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[    3.697319] drivers/usb/core/hub.c (2679) Same device found. Change serial to ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffa0
[    5.895471] usb 3-4: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[    7.134252] usb 4-2: new SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[    7.146537] usb-storage 4-2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[    7.146571] scsi5 : usb-storage 4-2:1.0
[   45.097837] usbcore: registered new interface driver ax88179_178a
[   57.513754] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
[   57.544708] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[   57.544711] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[  242.897345] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  243.166275] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  243.379206] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  245.385787] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  245.873656] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  246.133593] usb 3-4: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd

Now - running VM Ubuntu 18.04 on DSM Virtual Machine Manager

Had to install Mediatree kernel - following Hauppauge Support Instructions - so that the USB tuner can be detected properly by the OS.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_linux.html

Ubuntu 18.04 - now detects the USB tuner - both Plex and tvheadend works - I have settled for Plex (as I have PlexPass) and Nvidia Shield TV 2017 - this combo is working well.

I could have went Ubuntu 18.04 - tvheadend / Nvdia Shield TV - Kodi (tvheadend client) - incurring no software cost.

Although this works, the VM is consuming alot of resources (my DSM box is i7-3770S | 8GB RAM) and I would like a better solution which uses less resources.

I will try the following... (as I want to native DSM Plex Package or Docker Plex)

1) mediatree backport on DSM kernel 'Linux DiskStation 3.10.102 #15284' on 6.1.7

2) mediatree backport on DSM kernel 'Linux DiskStation 4.4' on DSM 6.2

Has anyone tried this or have a better solution - please share.

Hi! did you get anything? I have the same problem too. With dualHD.