XPEnology Community

Update to DSM 6.1.6-15266 semi-bricked my box

error403

Hi,

after installing DSM 6.1.6-15266 (which should be safe) my server does start up, but doesn't show up on the network. My HDDs are actively doing something..

Baremetal, EP45-DS3L, 8GB RAM.

find.synology.com wouldn't find it. Can't ping. Can't ssh. IP static, so no new IP. What can I do?

• Polanskiman changed the title to Update to DSM 6.1.6-15266 semi-bricked my box

Thank you.
Yes, hard reset, no success.

No, I don't even know what extra.lzma does...

Edit:

The lights on my NIC stay dark now when booting into DSM. Maybe Synology removed the driver for my NIC..????

Edited by error403
new information

41 minutes ago, error403 said:

Edit:

The lights on my NIC stay dark now when booting into DSM. Maybe Synology removed the driver for my NIC..????

It was never there to start with because that NIC is not supported out of the box by DSM. The module used was compiled by Jun and is within Jun's loader.

Your NIC (Realtek 8111C) uses the r8168.ko network module. On what version of DSM were you prior updating to DSM 6.1.6?

• Like 1

I was on latest previous version before.
Got it up and running again!!

What I did:

-flashed bootloader for 3615XS to USB, was on 3617XS but I was under the impression that people here prefer 3615XS

-entered MAC address and USB IDs into grub.cfg (previously I forgot about MAC, only entered USB, harmful?)
-booted, DSM said I could migrate

-did migrate, worked flawlessly

Thank you anyway, also I didn't know kernel modules could be compiled by users for this kernel.

• 3 months later...