XPEnology Community

XPEnology Tool for Windows x64

jensmander

Thanks a lot for this :) Helped me out great time in finding download link for 1.03b loader.

But when i used mini Partition wizard to mount the 15mb boot partition of my old usb stick i didnt have enough rights to access it -.- So i've made a image of the whole USB stick instead just to read the old grub.cfg file. All that works, works in the end ^^

20 hours ago, haldi said:

But when i used mini Partition wizard to mount the 15mb boot partition of my old usb stick i didnt have enough rights to access it

You either started the tool not "As Administrator" or (what sometimes happens) Windows blocks the access on the usb drive. In this case you have to disconnect the drive and close all apps which access the drive.

Hello, thanks for putting this app together. Is there any chance the UI can be tweaked slightly or the app window optimised for use on smaller screens. I have to use a 1366x768 res screen for a while but the layout of the tool doesn't fit within this resolution unfortunately so the navigation is cut off at the bottom. 

xpenology-tool.thumb.png.675956d84052ddc7be6dfe7f47c321c6.png

Hi Jensmander,

you know the tool https://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/

It's a small tool for resting your USB devices as well to make or restore a backup of an USB device.

Is it possible to integrate that tool into your collection?

It can also be a replacement for the win32diskimage tool.

It's portable on itself and can restore img-Files like win32diskimage.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kazuni said:

For some reason the app never worked for me.. just no-warning crashed.  

The only one that still works for me is v1.31...

Don't know why it crashed on your system. I usually test every version on several different systems. These are: Win 7, Win 8.1, Win 10, Server 12R2 and Server 2016 and never encountered a crash of the software. Maybe some security software interferes on your system.

13 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

Yes, I know it. For sure I can add this in the next version. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jensmander said:

Don't know why it crashed on your system. I usually test every version on several different systems. These are: Win 7, Win 8.1, Win 10, Server 12R2 and Server 2016 and never encountered a crash of the software. Maybe some security software interferes on your system.

Yes, I know it. For sure I can add this in the next version. 

Thanks

7 hours ago, jensmander said:

You're welcome! 🙂

Version 1.4.1 is available for download now (see starting post).

Hey there Jensmander - LOVE your concise/aggregated tools.  I would like to suggest a change though, to use Rufus USB Imaging Tool, I use it for everything of this type, including for DSM .img/.iso etc.  it rocks AND it's updated regularly.  The tool you have included is v1.0 and never been updated since.  I have sent you the "portable version" as a PM, but you can find it here..an infinitely better tool for such things, hands down!  https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

Thank You,

Greg

Edited by gericb

I already thought of Rufus as a replacement for DiskImager or maybe as an additional tool since it‘s very small. I‘ll embed it in V1.4.2

In addition, I plan to build a small WinPE iso based on W10 to boot it on the target system if you want (for example) read additional hardware info or clean up HDDs, etc. Of course it will only contain pure freeware (I‘m not going to build something like Strelec‘s boot iso). It‘s for users who are not that familiar with live linux systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dfds said:

@jensmander Can I suggest that W32Diskimager is added back as an additional tool as a lot of people are familiar with it.

Certainly I am not a GURU with all the configuration nuances with this project, but definitely loving it, I've had my stupid questions and little issues...that being said, Rufus is so straight forward and easy, if someone can't even figure out how to use that, probably shouldn't be here trying to go any further.  In general, if a piece of software is never updated, even the most simple of them, it's time to move on, especially when there is something better and still being supported. 😜

14 minutes ago, gericb said:

...  In general, if a piece of software is never updated, even the most simple of them, it's time to move on, especially when there is something better and still being supported. 😜

Im my line of "duty", we have a saying If it ain't broken, don't fix it. ;-)

47 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Im my line of "duty", we have a saying If it ain't broken, don't fix it. ;-)

Hehehe, but that is an old tech cop-out for not keeping things updated as they should be.  In my line of work, IT Mgr at a major hardware manufacturer, they use to following this notion but then wondered why there was always some kind of compatibility issue, security flaw, performance issues, etc., etc.  Respectfully, clinging to vintage software from the past, just because, isn't really forward thinking and productive, if there are better options...if not, then of course.  Only this policy was changed, proven metrics of increased system reliability, but keeping things up to date.  There is no reason that anyone should have issues using something newer, it is literally point and click.   They are still working on "bug fixes" for making Windows 7 USB, ROTFL!  Rufus can smoothly be used for Windows 7-10, Ubuntu, DSM, Linux, macOS, Windows Server, as I can personally attest.  I know it's only a simple USB tool, but the overall point is still valid I think. 🤓

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...