XPEnology Community

After DS3615xs UPDATE-3, VOL-1 Degraded

After following the directions by @Polanskiman for Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader) Jun1.02b I was able to successfully migrate to 6.1.4-15217.  I downloaded the .pat files for UPDATE-2 through UPDATE-5 and used the GUI to manually upgrade.  When I upgraded to UPDATE-3, I began getting notifications that my volume is degraded, particularly VOL-1.  I saw a post in the CRITICAL UPDATES thread that a user had the same issue but they were hoping for the best and never gave an update.  I did do an extensive search throughout all the threads and Google but never found anything that was similar or had a resolution. 

Besides searching the threads and Google, here are the additional steps I took to T/S my issue:

1.  Performed a Shutdown/Restart

2.  Physically checked power and sata cables to each drive

3.  Performed both QUICK and EXTENDED S.M.A.R.T. checks

4.  Went into GRUB command line and 'append SataPortMap=4', I only have one SATA Controller with 4 Ports.

5.  Using the DSM GUI Storage Manager, I performed a 'REPAIR' on the Disk and nothing changed/resolved

I really would hate to replace the HDD especially since it was working beautifully until I performed the UPDATE-3. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can provide for information as needed.  Thanks in advance everyone!

HDD_SDD.PNG

RAID Group.PNG

I don't think this has anything to do with your update.  Your Disk 1 disconnected from the RAID momentarily, which caused your array to go critical (non-redundant).

The disk reconnected and appears to be working, but SMART (the drive self-test information) is now reporting a hardware fail state or pending failure on the drive.  You should replace it.  It is in warranty so you should be able to print the details of the SMART status (under "Health Info") and WD will send you a new drive.

Once you install the new drive, manage your RAID Group 1 and add it to the array to restore redundancy.

Edited by flyride
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, flyride said:

I don't think this has anything to do with your update.  Your Disk 1 disconnected from the RAID momentarily, which caused your array to go critical (non-redundant).

The disk reconnected and appears to be working, but SMART (the drive self-test information) is now reporting a hardware fail state or pending failure on the drive.  You should replace the drive.  It is in warranty so you should be able to print the details of the SMART status (under "Health Info") and WD will send you a new drive.

Once you install the new drive, manage your RAID Group 1 and add the new drive to the array to restore redundancy.

Thank you @flyride for your advice, I went a head an submitted an RMA with WD for the Drive.  Again, much appreciated!

On 3/21/2018 at 4:07 PM, IG-88 said:

usually the manufacturers have tools for checking the driver before opening a rma (often also online check of serial number to check  validity for rma)

@IG-88  When I contacted WD they were able to do an Advanced RMA to send one first and then I send mine back with the option of sending the one they send me in the event I am able to repair my disk.  Thank you