XPEnology Community

N54L Onboard HP NC107i (based on BCM5723) Disappears

RacerX

Food for Thought

I have N54L it has HP NC107i (based on BCM5723)

During a test today.  I setup DSM 6.1 works it works properly.  I also have NC360T not plugged to the switch.  When I did the upgrade to DSM 6.1.5-15254 it went thru the whole 10 minutes and I knew something was up..  I shutdown with the power button.  When it came back up "Diskstation Not Found".  I shutdown again  and connected NC360T to the switch.  This time it found the NC360 two nics.  So I logged in and I see the shutdown was not graceful, ok.... I noticed the BCM5723 is gone,  it only shows  the NC360T.  I ran the update to DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1 and it is still MIA...

Edited by RacerX

the N360T is a intel 82571EB, thats e1000e.ko as driver and that is by default supported by dsm (nothing from jun's or my extra.lzma needed)

the onboard bcm5723 should be tg3.ko and thats not part of dsm, support for this came from extra.lzma

so the system forgot about the additional driver(s) from extra.lzma (or its firmware or both)

you did not mention model (i assumed 3615) and bootloader version, the error might fit to jun's 1.02a loader, that version had a bug the driver where forgotten after a major update manualy copying of drivers to the modules folder was the temporary solution to get it running (afair) before 1.02 came out

the 1.02b has file and folder dates from 06/2017, 1.02a from 2/2017, so you can check the usb flash drive to find out whats the version in use

During a test today.  I setup DSM 6.1 DS3617 (2-27-2017) it works properly.  I also have NC360T not plugged to the switch. 

Then I did the upgrade to DSM 6.1.5-15254 it went thru the whole 10 minutes and I knew something was up..  I shutdown with the power button.  When it came back up "Diskstation Not Found".  I shutdown again  and connected NC360T to the switch.  This time it found the NC360 two nics.  So I logged in and I see the shutdown was not graceful, ok.... I noticed the BCM5723 is gone,  it only shows  the NC360T.  I ran the update to DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1 and it is still MIA...

As for the test, I was doing a test of Windows 2016 essentials.  I pulled the plug and put my drives back in and I received the wonderful "Diskstation not found" from Synology Assistant.  I struggled to get all my new data moved to my other box.  This synology page was helpful.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC

So the whole week no Xpenology until I read your post in about broadcom in german (google translate) to make sure C1 is disabled, and that did the trick awesome!

I always have used DS3615 (i3) . So today I tested DS3617 (XEON ) on accident

synoboot is 2/27/2017

It was just a test and I was surprised that the onboard nic installed but when I  did the update it disappeared. I was lucky to have the other hp nic to work around it. . I need to use the onboard nic I want to try Mellanox CX324a connectX-3. 

So if you want me to test it out I can because I'm in between systems  at the moment I've been thinking changing from Bare Metal to ESXI so I can run both.  There is good howto on youtube right now. 

Thanks

• Polanskiman changed the title to N54L Onboard HP NC107i (based on BCM5723) Disappears

you havn't answerd my question about the loader version, loosing all extra drivers (like the broadcom)  on update was a known bug in jun's loader 1.02a (look for the file-date of info.txt on the 2nd partition of the usb flash drive)

so make sure you use loader 1.02b

btw when it comes to access disks we too have a nice howto here (and when it comes to it my fallback plan is to install open media vault on a additinal disk, or have one ready, and boot from this, it will detect the mdadm/lvm data volumes dsm created and you can use them comfy with a nice gui and smb/cifs/nfs access as usual until you have time to get dsm up again or to load off all data - or stay with omv as long as it does the job)

with esxi there is the hassle to decide how to handle disks,

1. using vmware vmfs datastore and create virtial disks (thick or thin?), disk by disk or having a raid in esxi (like with a hp smartarray raid controller and buidlding a raid5 to have one big datastore and just use a basic disc in dms)

2. using rdm devices

3. with vt-d possible past trough the storage controller to the vm and handle disks inside dsm as on baremaetal

(confusing? - it's meant to be)

so you might read a little and think about the pro's an con's of adding more complexity

on baremetal dsm you can use synology's vmm package for kvm based vm's, there is virtualbox as package and you can use docker

just poke around in the virtual environment section

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/50-dsm-6x/

Edited by IG-88

Good news

Just test bare metal 1.02b.  Works fine, updated to DSM 6.1.5-15254.  Then updated o DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1. Restoring Data (1 Day over 1GB)

Yesterday I tested ESXI 6.5 on the N54L even with 16GB it's just too slow.  Today I setup a spare Sandy Bridge PC that I had to test,  I needed to scrounge around for another stick of memory it's a whooping 6GB but the Core 2 E8500 runs ESXI 6.5 a lot better .  I have a Supermicro X9 (Xeon) board that has poor usb boot support.  I'm working on getting a hba then give it a better test.  I want to test Connectx3, I see it in the device manager of Windows 2016 Essentials I need another to test with (ESXI 6.5, Xpnology 6.1).  I was surprised how Widows 2016 essentials runs with a SSD on N54L.  I would really like to test Hyper V with issues like images  must be in iso format and samba multichannel (experimental)  it seems far off.

Thanks for the help, thoughts

11 hours ago, RacerX said:

I would really like to test Hyper V with issues like images  must be in iso format and samba multichannel (experimental)  it seems far off.

the problem with hyper-v is the missing kernel support, without it you can't user the virtual nic and without that ...