- 4x WD Red 4TB

- Onboard CPU J1900 or something like that

- 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

and now i want to upgrade to this

- 5x WD Red 6TB

- Intel Pentium G4620

- Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI

- 8GB DDR4 UDIMM

Now my question how can i increase my boot time 'till the DSM is ready?

Fast USB Stick?

In my DSM installation only have an SSD plugged-in for the OS? And when its finished plug-in the HDDs? Does that bring something?

I want to reduce my power consumption.

Thank you once.

Edited by l0fL

36 minutes ago, l0fL said:

Now my question how can i increase my boot time 'till the DSM is ready?

grub.cfg (1st partiton on usb)

set timeout='1' -> set to the amount of seconds you need

Fast USB Stick?

the usb image is about ~50 MB so the amount of data to read on boot is limited, as most flash drives read faster then write  (and have low iops) there is not much gain, optimizing bios might bring you more then the 1-2 seconds from usb

In my DSM installation only have an SSD plugged-in for the OS? And when its finished plug-in the HDDs? Does that bring something?

I want to reduce my power consumption.

to achieve power consumption and faster speed you should have the 1st drive ssd and the 1st volume (where plugins are installed) on that, lots of plugins prevent dsm from going to sleep or hdd's going to sleep so "isolate" them in the 1st data volume and have all other data on the normal hdd's might help

keep in mind your planed hardware has limited expansion capabilitys, no spare sata ports so with one pcie slot its 10Gbit notwork OR more sata ports in the future (if you plan for >2 years)

Edited by IG-88

43 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

grub.cfg (1st partiton on usb)

set timeout='1' -> set to the amount of seconds you need

What do you mean with set to the amount of seconds you need? What should i set?

the usb image is about ~50 MB so the amount of data to read on boot is limited, as most flash drives read faster then write  (and have low iops) there is not much gain, optimizing bios might bring you more then the 1-2 seconds from usb

How can i optimize the bios? Set 1st boot drive to USB and what else?

to achieve power consumption and faster speed you should have the 1st drive ssd and the 1st volume (where plugins are installed) on that, lots of plugins prevent dsm from going to sleep or hdd's going to sleep so "isolate" them in the 1st data volume and have all other data on the normal hdd's might help

Ok then i will buy an M2 SSD for the first volume and for the other data set my HDDs up for the 2nd Volume.

Edit: Now i saw this comment from polanskiman in the FAQ so would our project still work?

Now, when you install DSM, two partitions are created. The system partition (~2GB) and the swap partition (~2.4GB) which are in RAID1 (always). Each time you add a new drive to your machine it is initialised and the two partitions are created and DSM installed on the drive. The purpose of all this being that as along as you have one working drive you will be able to boot DSM.

keep in mind your planed hardware has limited expansion capabilitys, no spare sata ports so with one pcie slot its 10Gbit notwork OR more sata ports in the future (if you plan for >2 years)

Yeah i know but i have an Mini-ITX Case so my selection is quite limited. For the SSD i will buy a M2 version so i have one Sata Port free for expansions.

At the moment my NAS is 24/7 and i configured in the control panel that my HDDs going to sleep after 20 minutes but as you say i think they are not going to sleep.

How do you handle that? How high is your power consumption?

Thank you for your reply!

Edited by l0fL

10 hours ago, l0fL said:

What do you mean with set to the amount of seconds you need? What should i set?

1 stand for 1 second, 5 would be 5 seconds, ... so if you want a waiting time in the bootloader adjust this number

10 hours ago, l0fL said:

How can i optimize the bios? Set 1st boot drive to USB and what else?

depends on bios/systemboard, things like remove waiting times for disks if there is any, disable 3rd party bios extensions, fast boot, ...

i guess there will be lots of guides and howto if you look for it, that's a old thing

11 hours ago, l0fL said:

Ok then i will buy an M2 SSD for the first volume and for the other data set my HDDs up for the 2nd Volume.

as long as its not nvme, m2 sata might work but nvme is not supported with the current images

slight problem with this is that if you have only one ssd with that 1st data volume then there is no redundancy (dsm copys itself to alls disks in the system as raid1)

11 hours ago, l0fL said:

Edit: Now i saw this comment from polanskiman in the FAQ so would our project still work?

whats "this comment" - you boot from usb and under normal conditions dsm boots off the first disk (ssd in you case), it might speed up booting and if the 1st volume is on this disk with plugins and the plugin configuration then there is a lower possibility that activities will wake up all the other disks, that depends on the plugins, like if you use a download manager and its destination is the 1st volume the lets say 6 other disks that are a separate raid5 volume should not wake up

btw i dont use such config, just to gain 30 seconds on booting dsm up is not enough to block a sata port and shell out extra money for a ssd, i need all my 12 ports for bigger disks (also i would not use a bsic volume without redundancy i always use 1 disk redundancy so i would need 2 ssd's) and my disks go to sleep as because i dont use any plugins (might change but there is nothing i need that desperate atm)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, l0fL said:

Now, when you install DSM, two partitions are created. The system partition (~2GB) and the swap partition (~2.4GB) which are in RAID1 (always). Each time you add a new drive to your machine it is initialised and the two partitions are created and DSM installed on the drive. The purpose of all this being that as along as you have one working drive you will be able to boot DSM.

This was the comment i meant.

I have a 250GB M2 Sata Card lying around here. Whats the worst case if my M2 breaks? "Only" that i've to rebuild my DSM with all my settings and Apps right?

Anyway i want to build my new Nas with 5x WD Red 6TB in Raid 6. Now i have a Raid 5 with 4x WD 4TB and that's enough for me  now.

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

1 stand for 1 second, 5 would be 5 seconds, ... so if you want a waiting time in the bootloader adjust this number

What advantage do I have of it?

Okay that looks all great. Thank you for your help!

40 minutes ago, l0fL said:

This was the comment i meant.

yes thats still correct, the system and swap will be on all disks if ssd is first drive it will load from this as long as its present, when it comes to put the most disks to sleep its more about having the 1st data volume (when installing plugins and you dont have one dsm will tell you to create one) seperated so disk activities will mostly go there

I have a 250GB M2 Sata Card lying around here. Whats the worst case if my M2 breaks? "Only" that i've to rebuild my DSM with all my settings and Apps right?

yes, thats the point, but you can do backups to compensate too, usually people underestimate about config because its build over a long time and not so well documented

Anyway i want to build my new Nas with 5x WD Red 6TB in Raid 6. Now i have a Raid 5 with 4x WD 4TB and that's enough for me  now.

i usualy try to keep ports free for expansion, in my experiance 1-2 years after setting it up you will need it :-)

so if the space and ports are limited its worth considering bigger disks (i try to double capacity when changing disks) and maybe staying with raid5

atm your win with the new disks/configuration are just 2TB in usable space (i'd use raid5 up to 6-7 disks)

56 minutes ago, l0fL said:

What advantage do I have of it?

the topic of this thread, INCREASE boot time - increase like longer time

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

yes, thats the point, but you can do backups to compensate too, usually people underestimate about config because its build over a long time and not so well documented

Ok. I usually backup my DSM with settings and apps. So yes it is work if it breaks but it's still ok for me.

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

i usualy try to keep ports free for expansion, in my experiance 1-2 years after setting it up you will need it :-)

so if the space and ports are limited its worth considering bigger disks (i try to double capacity when changing disks) and maybe staying with raid5

atm your win with the new disks/configuration are just 2TB in usable space (i'd use raid5 up to 6-7 disks)

With Raid 5 (4x 4TB - 4TB) I've ~12TB space und with Raid 6 (5x 6TB - 12TB) i have round about 18TB space. So my profit is about 5.5TB usable space or am i wrong?

Nevertheless i have one free expansion where i can add 6TB and that's enough for me for now. But yes you are right more expansion possibility is always better.

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the topic of this thread, INCREASE boot time - increase like longer time

Oh thats my mistake i meant improve the boot time. Sorry for my bad english :?

9 hours ago, l0fL said:

With Raid 5 (4x 4TB - 4TB) I've ~12TB space und with Raid 6 (5x 6TB - 12TB) i have round about 18TB space. So my profit is about 5.5TB usable space or am i wrong?

no, looks like i got confused by the small numbers, counted one 4TB disk more then you have

9 hours ago, l0fL said:

space und with

this typo looks like we could also discuss this in the german section :-)