XPEnology Community

Support for Seagate IronWolf?

NASFAN1

Question

hi all,

does anyone have experience with Seagate IronWolf NAS drives  and advanced monitoring?

I just put a 4Tb drive in my HP Gen 8, DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1 and noticed a new form for the Disk Health status.

The drive is supported by official Synology https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/Which_Synology_DiskStation_RackStation_supports_Seagate_IronWolf_Health_Management

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work - and SMART testing has also seemingly stopped running.

I'm using Jun's loader (thanks Jun).

I guess there is some hardware missing on the HP that is in Synology, although I would have thought the disk firmware / controller would take care of it.

Any ideas? 

ironwolf Synology DSM.jpg

4 answers to this question

you could dig in the log to see if there is something, maybe that will give us a hint why its not working, keep in mind that sysnology does have its own modded kernel and is using specific hardware so i might depend on things your system does not have (like intel cpu - you "hp gen8" does not tell ME what hardware you have)

i could not find much about how its working or a package to install on a normal linux to check on what it depends but from reading it sounds a little bit like snake oil (the only thing missing was the claim to use AI) to promote the ironwolf brand, s.m.a.r.t. does the job too and the problem with things like that is usually not the technical side, its more like there is a conflict, they claim to have the best product that kind of never fails but have to report failures and not only to admit they where lying also having to warranty the drive - they more like to prevent both so even smart is not that reliable some times

having more undocumented proprietary stuff like this does not help (imho)