XPEnology Community

grub.cfg - change the serial no after DSM 6.x installation

liukuohao

Question

Hello guys, 

After DSM 6.x is already installed. Is there a way to access the grub.cfg on the usb bootloader drive?

I need to change the serial no.

Previous version of DSM, e.g. within DSM 5, the OS allow user to view the content of the usb bootloader drive, and 

access the grub.cfg file using File Station. But under DSM 6.x this method is not available any more.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

5 answers to this question

its on the first partiton on the drive, shutdown your nas, remove it, inset it into a linux system, mount 1st partiton, change grub.cfg

win10 creators update was also able to do this but with fall creators update  its not working

but on windows you can still do it, use Win32DiskImager to make a image of it, use osfmount to mount the parttion, change grub.cfg, user Win32DiskImager to write the modded version to usb

2 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

its on the first partiton on the drive, shutdown your nas, remove it, inset it into a linux system, mount 1st partiton, change grub.cfg

win10 creators update was also able to do this but with fall creators update  its not working

but on windows you can still do it, use Win32DiskImager to make a image of it, use osfmount to mount the parttion, change grub.cfg, user Win32DiskImager to write the modded version to usb

Thanks for your fast reply.............:)

Can I use Rufus to make a image? Or It has to be Win32DiskImager?

any tool with reading, writing image (multiple partitions) should work i guess, Win32DiskImager is the one used successfully

btw. on windows you also coud use a linux vm (installed or even live linux), give the usb device to that vm and mod it the linux way

Edited by IG-88