XPEnology Community

VID and PID for Synoboot 1.02b

George

hi guys

Is this modification for the grub still required.

I've burned the synoboot.img now onto 2 USB's. a 256Mb (windows machine using Win32Disk Imager) and a 4G (MAC using Apple Pi Baker),

And on both once the image is burned I now have what looks like 3 partitions, but neither wants to boot, so can't modify the files.

Wondering if the gub.conf file edit is maybe not a older boot loader steps.... / Hoping.

G

7 hours ago, George said:

And on both once the image is burned I now have what looks like 3 partitions, but neither wants to boot, so can't modify the files.

accessing (read/write) and booting fro m it are two different things, with the win10 creators update ms introduced access to more then one partiton so it was possible to access 1st and 2nd with win10 to modify files, with fall creators update that changed, now you can only access the 2nd parttion (to replace extra.lzma)

you can mod the 1st partition before writing to flash drive with osfmount (img file mount) as in polanskiman's howto for installing 6.1

to change grub.cfg on a already created drive you can use a system able to handle it properly (like linux) and mount the partition in question or use win32diskimager to create a img of the flash drive, mod the with osfmount (see above) and write it back to the flash drive

booting depends on you hardware where you want to boot the flash drive, uefi and sometimes you will have to choose media or partitons, mbr (old bios) does need a different loader

Wondering if the gub.conf file edit is maybe not a older boot loader steps.... / Hoping.

???

if you ask if modding the grub.cfg is needed, yes it is, without the correct vid/pid of your usb flash drive you might be able to boot but installing dsm *.pat file will fail with error 13 if the vid/pid does not match

quicknick seems to be about to release his 6.1 loader, he uses the same files from juns loader but extended it massively so you can boot up with a configuration tool (instead of the usual installer) that can be used with putty over network to directly modify the boot image on the flash drive, like setting vid/pid, mac address or serial, that includes reading the vid/pid and mac of the hardware its running on and writing it (automatic with some questions if its all correct) to the grub.cfg and when choosing reboot to exit the loader will come up with everything made ready, the only thing to do is to write the usb flash drive with his loader, booting it on the hardware you want to use and connecting to it (usually via network using telnet/ssh), so keep checking the forum i guess if he release it it will be in the loaders and/or tutorial/guide section

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/31-loaders/

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/36-tutorials-and-guides/

3 hours ago, George said:

I saw threads re quicknick boot loader, but it seems he removed it

that was last year and for dsm 6.0 (i still have the last version but never used it, after some testing i migrated from 5.0 to 6.1)

there will be a new one for 6.1

3 hours ago, George said:

Prepared 3 usb's. ranging from a 128Mb unit all the way up to 4GB (a bit of a waste).

and?

16 hours ago, George said:

but neither wants to boot, so can't modify the files.

thats your actual problem? what hardware?

if its old and not uefi you will have to use the mbr version of the loader

... got the sticks.... step #1

step #2, build the machine... and this is where my Black Friday comes into, bad day at work, then build machine to improve it, ended with bend CPU pins, so now need to go and get a new MotherBoard before I can proceed, will advise.

ok... as for the booting thing, it was a auto mount issue on my MAC, none of them wanted auto boot, I manually mounted the slice1 and then edited the files.

G

you should be more precise about booting (from)  and mounting/using the flash drive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting

so you dont have problems booting, it was only about having access to the files after writing the image to the flash drive, let's see what happens when you get your hardware ready

btw i would not recommand xpenology for a work environment, if someone updates it "inappropriately" to a new dsm version (just because the gui suggests it) it can be a lot of trouble, you might take open media vault or other more (manageable)  linux like distributions into account

a typo, you write, was not wanting to say boot, was suppose to say mount.

And btw never said i was gonna use this for work, I just said I had a bad day at work, got home and to chill started building the NAS, and in the process bend some of the CPU pins, thats why I haven't tried the USB's yet.

G

On 3/3/2018 at 10:20 PM, IG-88 said:

that was last year and for dsm 6.0 (i still have the last version but never used it, after some testing i migrated from 5.0 to 6.1)

there will be a new one for 6.1

and?

thats your actual problem? what hardware?

if its old and not uefi you will have to use the mbr version of the loader

Any idea if quick nick will be releasing his loader (ETA) for DSM 6.1,

The previous loader he had available got removed from the thread.

G

keep in mind people doing this in there spare time (and usually have a life outside this forum) so if something with the family or the job comes up things like a loader have to stand back, i guess there is always a plan but things change and there is more important stuff then having it released on a fixed date, so even if there would be a ETA, don't expect it to be 100%, its not a commercial product that has to be on the market to beat the competition

i'm sure quicknick has his NAS already running just without his loader and doing this project is for the fun, so people asking for a ETA is like pressure and you don't want that if you have fun doing it (some people have a very thick skin but you should not count on this)

7 hours ago, IG-88 said:

keep in mind people doing this in there spare time (and usually have a life outside this forum) so if something with the family or the job comes up things like a loader have to stand back, i guess there is always a plan but things change and there is more important stuff then having it released on a fixed date, so even if there would be a ETA, don't expect it to be 100%, its not a commercial product that has to be on the market to beat the competition

i'm sure quicknick has his NAS already running just without his loader and doing this project is for the fun, so people asking for a ETA is like pressure and you don't want that if you have fun doing it (some people have a very thick skin but you should not count on this)

100%, just trying to figure out if it was to be this month or next quarter.

Well actually found another thread it is last week/this week.

G