XPEnology Community

DSM acting really weird - services not starting

Hi,

I've got xpenology 5.2, latest update running on an HP Microserver. Its been running for years, but after a power loss a week ago its been running strangely. Most recently, a bunch of services have failed to start, including SMB and SSH, so although my data seems to be safe, I can't access it. The web GUI is accessible still. When I try to access the network settings, the interface tab just hangs.

I can access the command line directly with a local keyboard, but I'm getting constant console messages that it cant reach the update server which makes it difficult to troubleshoot. 

Two questions I guess, how can I turn off the error messages contaminating the console so I can troubleshoot - and once that's done, where should I start troubleshooting why the services aren't starting? If its easier, happy to reinstall DSM, but I've tried a new USB key and its the same, so I guess the problem is with the system partitions on the drives themselves. Is it possible to blow away the whole DSM and config and start again without losing data? 

Sounds like some form of corruption to DSM, but not enough to cause a system repair warning.

There is a tutorial on how to access the DSM partitions here

You could look at deleting them and reinstalling.

Another approach (if you have a spare hdd) is with a 'clean install';

I've used this method to repair system partitions avoiding the ubuntu/mdadm process (because I am lazy :) )

1) Disconnect your raid drives

2) Connect spare HDD to SATA port 1

3) Install DSM 5.2, create admin user and server name matching live system, DONT create volume/raid, update service packs

4) Shutdown, reconnect raid drives to SATA ports 2-n

5) Boot, login, repair system partitions on raid, shutdown

6) Remove spare HDD and reconnect raid drives to SATA ports 1-n

7) Boot, repair packages etc

I've used this method several times and it works fine

Ok, so I'm nearly there, but failing at the last step. Reinstalled DSM on a fresh (but tiny) HDD, and then restarted with:

Bay 1 - Temporary disk

Bays 2,3,4 - Original RAID array, excluding the first disk

Repaired the system partition of the three original disks, shutdown, and replace the temporary disk with the original disk 1.

When I power up, its pulling back the config from the first disk. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?